On That Note: Good Citations

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

I heard they wrote this song and some of the others (Wish You Were Here)on this album about Syd Barrett.

Correct, about "Wish You Were Here", the "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" suites being about Barrett. "Have a Cigar" is about a meeting they had with some out of touch record execs. "Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far", etc. At the end of the meeting, the exec asked which was was "Pink", as in he thought one of the band members was named "Pink Floyd".

Reactions: cyclones500

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
My final submissions (cool thread idea, by the way):

"If you don't have Mojo Nixon, this place could use some fixin'"

"I asked you to go to the Green Day concert, you said you never heard of them"

"They play Good Charlotte on the radio...They play Sleepy Jackson on radio...I hear Beyonce on the radio..."

• Friendly

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If we started to go through all those dance records there would be a lot. I'll post this one.

You got to know how to pony
Like Boney Maronie

I"ll post the first cover by Cannibal and the Headhunters instead of the more familiar Wilson Pickett version.

This could also have been posted in the OTN topic, "They Don't Say That" Songs where the title does not appear in the lyrics of the song. Although in the original original Chris Kenner version it appears in the spoken word introduction of the song.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A few Beatles/solo-Beatles examples.

"Yer Blues."
Lyric: “Just like Dylan’s Mr. Jones”
Reference: “Ballad of a Thin Man,” Bob Dylan ("There's something happening here, but you don't know what it is/Do you, Mister Jones?")

"For You Blue."
Lyric: (spoken during lead-guitary break)Elmore James got nothing on this, baby”
... Not as audible in this version as it is on "Let it Be" album, but it's there.

“How Do You Sleep?” John Lennon
Song/album titles referenced: Sgt. Pepper; Yesterday; Another Day ... none of those refs in a positive light, either. (Also notice the "orchestra tune-up" intro, an obvious jab at SPLHCB).
Ex-bandmate targeted: pre-Sir Paul McCartney

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean