TOE Pinstripe Sales

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
According Hlas, the Rose Bowl is the only bowl that matters. Maybe he should start a campaign for the TOE faithful that they turn down any bowl that is not in Pasedena.

This post is definitely Hall of Fame quality....Its Pasadena or Bust for TOE

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Honestly, nothing, but it's not Chicago. It's a great place to live.
Would you prefer they say Elgin? I don’t live in dsm, but I figure it is accurate enough as most don’t know West Des Moines.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Would you prefer they say Elgin? I don’t live in dsm, but I figure it is accurate enough as most don’t know West Des Moines.
It's a Chicago specific deal. People use "I'm from Chicago" like it's some kind of street cred or badge of honor. As in the following sentence;

Don't talk to me about crime, I'm from Chicago.

When they're from Naperville or Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates, it rings a little hollow.

Sorry @harimad I doubt you used it in this respect, but there are some who do it.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I know you weren’t talking to me, but I agree with Lindency. I’m from Des Moines, and when I was in school there were situations where it seemed like people from the suburbs thought they were better than us/we should be thankful they were gracing us with their presence. So I think people should say “I’m from x, a suburb of y” rather than “i’m from y.” It only takes a second more to say, and people living in the suburb chose to live there which is fine, but you can’t now claim to live in the larger city.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
2311_5583276dd289e3.96749904_chicagolandfolded_1500x.jpg

Raygun has cleverly addressed the issue. I prefer the older version that had "Chicago" in quotation marks for the suburban area!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's a Chicago specific deal. People use "I'm from Chicago" like it's some kind of street cred or badge of honor. As in the following sentence;

Don't talk to me about crime, I'm from Chicago.

When they're from Naperville or Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates, it rings a little hollow.

Sorry @harimad I doubt you used it in this respect, but there are some who do it.

My son used this in Ames High School. He would say he was from Chicago and people thought he was cool. However, even though I worked downtown, we lived 3 blocks from Wisconsin!

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I know you weren’t talking to me, but I agree with Lindency. I’m from Des Moines, and when I was in school there were situations where it seemed like people from the suburbs thought they were better than us/we should be thankful they were gracing us with their presence. So I think people should say “I’m from x, a suburb of y” rather than “i’m from y.” It only takes a second more to say, and people living in the suburb chose to live there which is fine, but you can’t now claim to live in the larger city.

Easy to do if you are only dealing with people around Iowa. I usually say I'm from Schaumburg, especially when speaking to those who live in the "Chicagoland area" but if I'm speaking to someone I know who won't know where I'm from, out of state, especially those out of the midwest, I just say Chicago. It's not because it takes longer to say Schaumburg or I think it's cooler to say Chicago, it's because explaining where Schaumburg is, takes longer than just saying Chicago. I didn't used to, I used to always say I was from Schaumburg, no matter who it was, but 9 times out of 10 that was followed with, "Where is Schaumburg?" It's close enough, they get the idea what part of the country I live in and I don't plan on having them visit, so who gives a ****?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Same issues that are facing many mid-level P5 teams...huge stadiums with high ticket prices versus every game on TV where one can watch in the comforts of their homes. Maintaining 24 sports (Men and Women) at Iowa is also very expensive especially when the only sources of significant income are football, Men's basketball, and the BIG conference. For reference, ISU has 16 sports, but with a smaller budget.

Schools are beginning to shrink stadiums to add premium experiences (end zone clubs, suites, etc.), and Iowa is also jumping on that train.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Same issues that are facing many mid-level P5 teams...huge stadiums with high ticket prices versus every game on TV where one can watch in the comforts of their homes. Maintaining 24 sports (Men and Women) at Iowa is also very expensive especially when the only sources of significant income are football, Men's basketball, and the BIG conference. For reference, ISU has 16 sports, but with a smaller budget.

Schools are beginning to shrink stadiums to add premium experiences (end zone clubs, suites, etc.), and Iowa is also jumping on that train.

Believe we are considered to be 19. Think 18 is minimum that we can be. Things like swimming and diving are counted as two. Track and field I believe has two seasons to add two more. I could be off on them though.