Iowa Football Recruiting

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If Wagner was going to be another Gates then sure, sign me up.

I am just saying you don't need to put up a ton of stats to make it as a TE in the NFL. He hasn't played a ton of football. So regardless of where he goes, I just think he needs to find a spot where they have proven they can develop TEs. Even if he doesn't get on the field until his last year.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I am just saying you don't need to put up a ton of stats to make it as a TE in the NFL. He hasn't played a ton of football. So regardless of where he goes, I just think he needs to find a spot where they have proven they can develop TEs. Even if he doesn't get on the field until his last year.

Yeah but the problem is if he's going to be a TE how much development is he going to get? How many practice reps will he get with Fant and Hock in the way? I agree that Iowa is exceptional at developing and sending TEs to the next level but with just 2 years to play with he'd struggle to take advantage of it because the 1 and 2 get all the reps in practice.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Totally. And he's already better than Lazard:

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/wagner-leaves-to-play-football.82707/page-4#post-1708078

N8theGr8Well-Known Member

I'll call it now, if Wagner stays to play football, he'll start and look better than Lazard playing receiver. Bigger, faster, stronger, smarter. Just imagine for a moment even Josh Jackson or Desmond King trying to fight of a block from Ahmad.

At least some of them disagreed with this idiot.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yeah but the problem is if he's going to be a TE how much development is he going to get? How many practice reps will he get with Fant and Hock in the way? I agree that Iowa is exceptional at developing and sending TEs to the next level but with just 2 years to play with he'd struggle to take advantage of it because the 1 and 2 get all the reps in practice.

But I am not even saying it has to be Iowa. Just some place he can get good coaching for TEs.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa doesn't have a scholarship to give. They are already 2 over the scholly limit as of yesterday.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It will be interesting to see where he goes and what he becomes. Definitely some potential there. 1 year playing football and getting first team all state in Ohio is pretty impressive.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It will be interesting to see where he goes and what he becomes. Definitely some potential there. 1 year playing football and getting first team all state in Ohio is pretty impressive.

I'd love to be wrong. If he stays put and gets a chance and blows up as a crazy talent at TE or some TE/WR hybrid, I'd love it. I just think it's a longshot.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Why would anyone give him a scholarship? He will have to walk on somewhere unless he goes down a division.
He got offered out of HS by Kentucky at WR. He's an interesting prospect. Only way he stays at Iowa is if he's willing to walk on next year IMO....has 2 years of eligibility for football which kind of surprised me....thoughts he'd have one but supposedly since he didn't redshirt and played 3 years as a true junior he's on a five year clock....

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
If he transfers to another FBS school he would have to sit out a year. He has 2 years left to play 2, if my understanding is correct. He should either stay at Iowa (unlikely to see the field this year if at all.) or go down to an FCS school and have a chance to see the field right away for two years.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If he transfers to another FBS school he would have to sit out a year. He has 2 years left to play 2, if my understanding is correct. He should either stay at Iowa (unlikely to see the field this year if at all.) or go down to an FCS school and have a chance to see the field right away for two years.

I don't see any difference because he likely isn't going to see the field in this first year no matter what.