Monte called up to the Nuggets

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
The Denver Nuggets tweet says that Monte is a "Two-Way player". I assume the NBA has not reverted to a half-court game, so what exactly does that mean?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The Denver Nuggets tweet says that Monte is a "Two-Way player". I assume the NBA has not reverted to a half-court game, so what exactly does that mean?

Monte signed a contract with the Nuggets that allows him to spend some time with the Nuggets and some time with their DLeague affiliate.

Clon3

Mar 24, 2014

Monte has a contract with the Denver Nuggets, but is primarily assigned to a G league team. Two way players get paid X amount per day they spend with the NBA team. The can spend a maximum of 45 days with the NBA team.

By signing the 2 way contract Monte can not be picked up by the other NBA affiliates, but he is able to make significantly more $ than a typical G league contract.

Clon3

Mar 24, 2014
Due to injury or good play?

Monte has been playing really well and Jamal Murray rolled his ankle last game. I would assume it is precautionary.. if Murray plays I wouldn't expect Monte to get any minutes at all.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Monte has a contract with the Denver Nuggets, but is primarily assigned to a G league team. Two way players get paid X amount per day they spend with the NBA team. The can spend a maximum of 45 days with the NBA team.

By signing the 2 way contract Monte can not be picked up by the other NBA affiliates, but he is able to make significantly more $ than a typical G league contract.

Sounds like nothing but a winning scenario for Monte. By spending most of his time in the G-League he doesn't have his skills waste away sitting on the end of the bench, he gets paid significantly better than other G-league players, and he gets called up to the Nuggets when needed. Plus it shows the Nuggets are invested in his future with the team.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Sounds like nothing but a winning scenario for Monte. By spending most of his time in the G-League he doesn't have his skills waste away sitting on the end of the bench, he gets paid significantly better than other G-league players, and he gets called up to the Nuggets when needed. Plus it shows the Nuggets are invested in his future with the team.

It's a win for the NBA because it's another mechanism to keep talented players in the US, and another small step towards making the G-League a legit minor league. Monte would be making substantially more $ in Europe, but this is a win in that he gets a shot at the NBA without poverty-line wages.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Cool

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's a win for the NBA because it's another mechanism to keep talented players in the US, and another small step towards making the G-League a legit minor league. Monte would be making substantially more $ in Europe, but this is a win in that he gets a shot at the NBA without poverty-line wages.

While this is true, Monte has a real chance to stick with the Nuggets or another NBA team, where it's worth taking the risk of a lower salary. At this stage, if Monte were to go after the money in Europe he's probably there for the remainder of his career. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, Monte is potentially NBA material.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't remember all of the details, but I think Monte will get whatever the league minimum is divided by 82 for being on the roster today. If that's correct, he picks up almost $10k for one game. His two-way contract is $75k for the season, so a nice chunk of change for Monte plus the thrill of suiting up for the first time on an NBA roster.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does he still get paid even with a DNP?

I just like to fantasize what it would be like to make $10K (if that's the payment) in 2-3 hours and not have to do much more than warm up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron