Iowa Hawkeye Basketball. What is happening

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Seriously I thought they were going to be really good this year. They lost one guy Jok from last years team. The wheels have already fallen off. Normally Frans teams start off hot and get worse throughout the year. I always thought Fran was a decent coach who did not have that much talent. Not sure what is going on but they need to evaluate that entire staff over in Iowa City.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Watched some of their game last night. To me it looked like they got worked at the guard position, and VT did get a little bit of home cookin'. Iowa completely went away from what worked early for them. They had a definite advantage on the interior.

That being said, they didn't look very good.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I don't know, but....

giphy.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't they look bad last year and then turn it up for ISU? I was working but missed a lot of that game but I just remember ISU sleep walking and a lot of 'golly gee willicker!' moments from the Hawks.

I'd expect the same this year although I think ISU may play better than a year ago.

Caught a bit of that game last night and only recall Fran yelling and someone got crossed over hard.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Fran should be on the hot seat after this year. Maybe his kids can save his job but if I'm a Hok fan I am questioning whether a couple good players are worth keeping a coach that continues to underachieve.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Iowa did start off hot, dominating their first 2 opponents. Of course those opponents were both 300+ RPI. But that is Iowa's usual approach.

Actually, it is looking somewhat impressive that they hung with SDSU. TJ seems to have things rolling there.

I do think they can get their RPI below 200 by end of the season.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
WIth 7 minutes and 43 second left in the second half. Iowa had scored 5 points the whole second half. 5 Points in 13 minutes of basketball. That's unreal.

• Informative
Reactions: SCyclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Didn't they look bad last year and then turn it up for ISU? I was working but missed a lot of that game but I just remember ISU sleep walking and a lot of 'golly gee willicker!' moments from the Hawks.

I'd expect the same this year although I think ISU may play better than a year ago.

Caught a bit of that game last night and only recall Fran yelling and someone got crossed over hard.

That was one of our worst games of the season. From the tip our guys never matched Iowa's energy and it cost us a game. I fully expect Iowa's fan boys to be really fired up against us. I mean, playing in a sold out arena alone has to be a real treat for those guys. I just hope we learned our lesson from last year and don't take Iowa for granted.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
They have terrible guard play and thus they suck, similar to ISU's first two games. We got our guard play more or less straightened out, though. They have not.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
WIth 7 minutes and 43 second left in the second half. Iowa had scored 5 points the whole second half. 5 Points in 13 minutes of basketball. That's unreal.

Didn't Iowa State have a total of two FGs the entire second half or something this year. I remember it being a crazy stat.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I don't know how much out of their norm they played but for my money ISU came into that game extremely arrogant and got slapped down for it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Too many forwards, not enough guards. Not just not enough "good guards", not enough guards, period. I get that they lost one, but how do you let your team get that out of balance?
Fran is feeling the backlash of his participation ribbon rotation. Someday he will figure out that kids transferring out isn't a bad thing but until that happens I'm going to enjoy the ride.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
What's funny is that a lot of the Hawk fans here in Eastern Iowa believe they will give Fran the Kirk Ferentz treatment with long term contract. They are apparently happy with mediocre basketball over there. #BEATTOE

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
I am glad they suck and I hope they continue to suck for the sake of their loud mouth fans, Tyler Cook probably wishes he had committed to ISU instead. Fran just can't coach them kids. Lol

Help Support Us

Become a patron