COLUMN: Musing on the MBB exhibition, where football is at w/ 3 to go

cyclone19702

Sep 4, 2015
I feel really good about the game this weekend. Should feel much better about this game than TCU since TCU destroyed Ok State in Stillwater. I think Oklahoma State is the third maybe fourth best team in the conference playing on the road after a tough loss against their rival. We have a lot of advantages in this game and we may actually be the better overall team here.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Basketball and football posts in same thread =

C6E55Wm.gif

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Maybe a little bit of an overreaction on the basketball team considering there were only 7 players available. There are many reasons for concern but, as you say, Prohm has a knack for roster management and helping guys find their roles. Non-conference could be ugly, but I would be shocked if ISU doesn’t win a game in South Carolina next week.

As for football...I was game for kicking the field goal because with the way they were moving the ball in the 2nd half, I expected to be in that position again to be able to get a TD and take the lead rather than just tie it up.

For the record, I did not project Iowa State to go winless in South Carolina. I wrote that if they play like they did on Sunday I think that they could. I fully expect this team to improve between now and then.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Okay, that's smart by Kempt but why not play to win and go for a TD on 4 and goal? The defense is stopping them all 2nd half and the worst thing would be turning over the ball on downs 99 yards away from the endzone.

I was right behind that end zone watching it -- screaming for them to go for it.

You have DM. He has the eye of the tiger. He will fall forward and into the end zone.

Even if not, then trust your defense and play field position.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It's not just the points. Show some confidence in the team. Play to win.
I wanted them to go for it in that case, but it has nothing to do with showing confidence. It could just as easily be portrayed as a desperation move, and hindsight isn’t logic.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So will our only basketball win be in South Carolina by a score of 9-0 because one of the teams forgot the Great Puerto Rico shootout was moved and forfeits?

Seriously, I think our basketball team will be fine. We know Young is better than he played, we keep hearing how Beverly is a good shooter and we also keep hearing that Talley is pretty good. Those three all played pretty badly. There's also a couple other players that we haven't seen yet so they could, and should, help.
What if we’re hearing what we want to hear? There are past seasons that suggest those two are at best role players. We’ll need more than that.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Great to hear that it’s a fact that the team is gassed with 3 games left.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Interested to see what the line will be for Iowa State at Missouri. I'm guessing it will be well into double-digits by tip-off.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I think some people may be overreacting a bit to the exhibition game. I read in another thread that Michigan State and North Carolina barely beat their exhibition opponents, and Illinois lost to theirs.

If a few more of our 3's go in, then I think people feel a lot differently. That said, I hope Talley doesn't shoot anymore 3's this year.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, that's smart by Kempt but why not play to win and go for a TD on 4 and goal? The defense is stopping them all 2nd half and the worst thing would be turning over the ball on downs 99 yards away from the endzone.
I'd say because we were down by 10 and needed two scores to tie or take the lead. It's a numbers game and you put points on the board when you can. If we had 2 wins instead of 6 maybe we go for it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I was just fine kicking the fg and taking the points, besides, the defense held and we got the ball back. If Kempt leads Ryen just a tad on the last series, this is a convo about the great decision to kick the fg and how much CMC trusts the defense.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'd say because we were down by 10 and needed two scores to tie or take the lead. It's a numbers game and you put points on the board when you can. If we had 2 wins instead of 6 maybe we go for it.

I honestly am not 100% sure, but were we down by 7 at the sequence pdxclone is referencing?

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I honestly am not 100% sure, but were we down by 7 at the sequence pdxclone is referencing?

Yes we were down 7 at that point. You are only a yard away from tying it up. Planning on getting the ball back; it is far easier to get in FG range to win than to drive all the way to the endzone to win. If you don't hit the FG at the end, you still have OT to pick up the win.

I get wanting to get points every time you are in the redzone but you are forcing the offense to have to get a TD on the next possession.

Reactions: IASTATE07

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The talent is untested.

Whose talent is untested? Ours or Mizzou's. We got beat by a team picked to finish #13 in the Big 10. We struggled with a team picked to finished last in their conference in Emporia State.

Missouri lost 87-93 versus Kansas and destroyed them on the boards. ISU will get better as the year goes on but they won't be better by Friday.

It will be a 20+ Loss if Lewis & Lard don't suit up.