COLUMN: Musing on the MBB exhibition, where football is at w/ 3 to go

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Down 10 I think because my thought was that we needed to make it a 1 score game and that we could get back down there and get the TD

"Garrett Owens connected on an 18-yarder to cut the WVU lead to 20-13 in the third quarter. Owens struck again in the fourth when he hit a 24-yard attempt to cut the lead to four with 7:19 left to play."

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
"Garrett Owens connected on an 18-yarder to cut the WVU lead to 20-13 in the third quarter. Owens struck again in the fourth when he hit a 24-yard attempt to cut the lead to four with 7:19 left to play."

We were down by 10 when we kicked from the 1-yard line. We were down by 7 when we kicked from 7 yard line.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
After the conservative FG calls in Morgantown, I miss the days when we needed a wheelbarrow on the sideline to carry Campbell's giant balls around. :p

Come on, coach, be aggressive, we are ISU, we have nothing to lose, burn the world down.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
What if we’re hearing what we want to hear? There are past seasons that suggest those two are at best role players. We’ll need more than that.

At full strength Beverly is not a starter. That will either go to Brase, Lard or Talley. I'm not sure why Prohm didn't start Talley in the exhibition game. But Beverly looked painfully un-athletic.

Reactions: riceville98

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
After the conservative FG calls in Morgantown, I miss the days when we needed a wheelbarrow on the sideline to carry Campbell's giant balls around. :p

Come on, coach, be aggressive, we are ISU, we have nothing to lose, burn the world down.
Seeing a theme here of when we coach conservatively on offense (Texas and WV)...

Could be a combination of too much faith in the defense or not enough faith in the offense, but seems to me the freer we play on offense the more successful we are.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Seeing a theme here of when we coach conservatively on offense (Texas and WV)...

Could be a combination of too much faith in the defense or not enough faith in the offense, but seems to me the freer we play on offense the more successful we are.

Would love to see us hit the short passing game early on Saturday. I'm far from Mike Leach, but we're getting very little from the OL on 1st down. That said, I flipped **** when we didn't get the ball to Montgomery against Texas. But we were using more of a downfield passing game at that point.

• Agree
Reactions: KKramer

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Remember Campbell going for it a few times on 4th and short on our own 30?

That guy was aggressive. Where was he last Saturday?

• Agree
Reactions: KKramer

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think some people may be overreacting a bit to the exhibition game. I read in another thread that Michigan State and North Carolina barely beat their exhibition opponents, and Illinois lost to theirs.

If a few more of our 3's go in, then I think people feel a lot differently. That said, I hope Talley doesn't shoot anymore 3's this year.
Imo it was less about the score and more about the pieces, or lack there of.

If this team embraces the Tim Floyd ‘96-‘97 means of winning, maybe it has a chance.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I have the perfect way to blend this odd hybrid football-basketball thread: speculation on whether Jeff Beverly and Jakolby Long should step in to help the "gassed" football team :) We know JB has played college FB and Long, well, he's fast and ripped.

Also, couldn't Butler, Lazard and Eaton provide some depth for the Cyclones BB team? They've got better average height than some of last year's small-ball lineups.

These would be better stories than Lanning.

Of course, I'm just kidding but it throws me off to have both sports in the same thread.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Imo it was less about the score and more about the pieces, or lack there of.

If this team embraces the Tim Floyd ‘96-‘97 means of winning, maybe it has a chance.

Agreed, even if they won by twenty but looked like they did doing it, the concerns would still be there.