***Official USMNT Thread***

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Completely disagree. While I love pro/rel for pro sports, that is the quickest way to kill professional domestic soccer in the United States. While there's better money abroad, we need to have players here be able to make an ok living so people will want to pursue that as a career. If you institute pro/rel, teams will collapse when they're relagated because they won't have the fan support. Unlike other sports in the U.S., I don't think many teams in the MLS have the fan support necessary to support them if they are relegated.

Would it work at leagues below MLS? I still don't think so because any fan bases they do have would collapse when they were relegated.

Finally, if you're talking about youth leagues (which maybe you are because of the comments about the players and parents), I still don't think pro/rel is a great idea. First, how is that going to generate money so that the players aren't funding them themselves? Second, one issue at least several years ago was that the youth teams cared too much about winning and not enough about development. Pro/Rel would only exacerbate that issue.

I think to help improve our soccer athletes here in the United States there needs to be more low cost leagues (in addition to other changes that people smarter than me will come up with). I don't know where the funding comes from for that, but I don't think Pro/Rel helps, maybe the USSF? Second, I think the MLS teams need to continue to grow/improve their academies. I think this is where the development will happen because the focus can actually be on development and not on winning

MLS is currently trying to bastardize the European model. They wanted to create top-level clubs, and now try to backfill the talent generators that the established European clubs already have. Europe is littered with clubs, not much different than we all have near our homes in all major markets around the US. The only difference is, some of these clubs have senior teams that are Barca, Manu U, Real Madrid, while others are the white dragons or whatever name they have. All of them play a roll in the system, the small clubs, that don't have major senior teams, develop local talent, that talent then is typically bought by larger clubs, as the talent progresses through the system, each time it is bought a little of that money trickles down through the system, and the local club gets it piece of the pie for developing that talent. Parents aren't on the hook for paying $1,500/year plus to get their kid to soccer. The local kids that never will be professionals have small clubs to play for. I am sure there is some pay for play in Europe, but for the most part, there is not. This system is used throughout the rest of the world, the MLS doesn't want this system in place in the US, as they feel they will lose their talent, as well as the money generated by being exclusive. Well guess what, Europe has been doing this for so long they hold the financial advantage. And until the US produces consistent top-level talent the MLS is never going to be the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga or any other top league in Europe, and quite likely never will. But to just ignore how the rest of the world develops talent is crazy, and if it continues we will consistently under develop talent in the USA.

In my opinion, the US should set a plan in motion to start pro/rel on the lowest levels, up to USL and NASL. MLS should stop all expansion, It then should say MLS is the premier league. Then a plan should be set in motion to open up MLS to pro/rel in 5 to 10 years. Yes, it is possible that NY, LA, Chicago, Houston will have more than one top-level team. But I think there are creative ways to combat that. The US is approx the same size in population the largest Euro league countries combined. So why not break the US into regions, each with their own top-tier senior league. Then you could have a North American Champions league with those regions, along with Mexico, and possibly Canada.

Right now US kids have to make a choice when they are 14 or 15, move to Europe to get the best training, or stay in the US and know they will likely never make the most of their talent. It is tough on a family to ship their kid to another country at that age, In Europe, this is a rare thing. Messi came to Barca at 14, but most top-level talent grows up in its home country, only to make the leap to the big boys once it is truly ready. The US does not have this mid-tier level to help the development of the 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 years old, and then the MLS wants the 18,19,20-year-old to go to college, where they can't learn their trade more than the NCAA allows and it stunts their growth.

And don't tell me there isn't money for this in the US, there certainly is, fan bases would grow organically with the local clubs, people support minor league baseball, NCAA football, NCAA basketball and a ton of other sports. This model can be funded, and it will produce talent.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
So what is the difference between the US Men's & Women's clubs? Is it just that the women's team has more opportunity to succeed? I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I would think there is more money in the Men's National Team than the Women's teams, yet the Women's club has been producing winning/competitive players at a fairly consistent rate. Why can't the men's team do the same? Is Women's soccer a similar scenario to Women's college basketball where US is like UCONN and just flat out dominates for years?

The US was lightyears ahead compared to everyone else, it's why they won those cups. Just recently the powerhouses have found a way through the US' defenses.

Hell, what's happening with the Men's team will likely happen with the Women's team in the next ten years. We've been crap against teams like England, France, Japan, Brazil, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneWanderer

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Where the heck was that game held at last night attendance looked terrible.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
The game wasn't even on real television last night. That should tell you how important soccer is in our culture. How does a game grow organically if my boys who play soccer can't even cheer for their country in a super important game, and now a world cup. A game that decides our countries fate in the world cup not on tv. ridiculous.

sigh....i know it is easier to ***** than do research, but CONCACAF rules stipulate that the home team controls its own TV rights. Thus US Soccer, Fox, whomever had no say. It wasn't that hard to find if you were so concerned about your kids watching the game.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Just wanted to let people know, there's a press conference by cell tomorrow by Sunil.

If he doesn't announce his resignation or intention to not seek relection, It'll likely go south pretty quick.

Everyone is calling for resignation from the press figureheads like Twellman and Lalas to American Outlaws.

Would really prefer for whomever makes Tifos to just make simple tifos that say "Gulati Out" all over the MLS and the upcoming October friendlies....which should be in Europe. Against tough teams.

God I'm still pissed

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Just wanted to let people know, there's a press conference by cell tomorrow by Sunil.

If he doesn't announce his resignation or intention to not seek relection, It'll likely go south pretty quick.

Everyone is calling for resignation from the press figureheads like Twellman and Lalas to American Outlaws.

Would really prefer for whomever makes Tifos to just make simple tifos that say "Gulati Out" all over the MLS and the upcoming October friendlies....which should be in Europe. Against tough teams.

God I'm still pissed

Sunil and Bruce are still saying that nothing needs to change, so I will be more surprised than missing the world cup if they resign. I hang out regularly with a guy that has been capped a few times and he said this is probably the best thing to happen to US Soccer. Now the money is in play, and that is the only thing Sunil cares about. Its the only thing Fox and Nike care about, its the only thing MLS cares about. The fans are pissed and aren't going to spend money, and that is what is going to force change. The AO announcement WAS HUGE.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

God I'm still pissed
It should be Sunil's walk of shame.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Where the heck was that game held at last night attendance looked terrible.

In the future, US soccer needs to subsidize trips for fans to away games. If they don't fill up their stadium, we'll do it for you and get the home field advantage. It's a lot like ISU playing at places like UM-KC and playing in sterile quiet gyms. They just don't come out with the right enthusiasm.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
th

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Word is going around, while not official, is that Tab Ramos will be the coach on an internim basis.

He's the current Tech Director and was an assistant coach under Jurgen and Bradley. He's the youth coach in general for the US but isn't coaching the u17 side in India right now. It's safe to say a bunch of young guys will be called into camp.

I seriously hope that we don't see a permanent hire until after the elections, I don't think we'll see Sunil stay but the way the voting bloc is set up irks me.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Our U-17 beat Paraguay 5-0 and moved onto the round of 8, Timothy Weah scored a hat trick. (Actually played for NYRB's academy system)

We face either Japan or England next.

Also the senior team is playing in Portugal in November. No word on Bruce's replacement

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Our U-17 beat Paraguay 5-0 and moved onto the round of 8, Timothy Weah scored a hat trick. (Actually played for NYRB's academy system)

We face either Japan or England next.

Also the senior team is playing in Portugal in November. No word on Bruce's replacement

I hope Carleton and Weah get on pre-contracts with top European clubs after this tournament. Should be no shortage of offers.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I hope Carleton and Weah get on pre-contracts with top European clubs after this tournament. Should be no shortage of offers.

Weah is already at PSG. If you haven’t seen his hit for his second goal, check it out. I can post a link later, but don’t feel like fighting with my phone right now.