New 32 story residential tower, 9 screen theater proposed for downtown Des Moines

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I was hoping to see a heated city council meeting. Maybe something where Blackbird shows up all wearing “#1 Developer” t-shirts only to have Mandelbaum reveal he was wearing “World’s Greatest Developer” t- shirt.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
throw in some bail bonds shops and we will be right back to what they were trying to get away from in the first place. This isnt 2001 downtown. Trying to draw people with money downtown, not scare them away.

I have money and everything they are doing is turning me off. It's a downtown not a McDonalds Playplace.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyDude16

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I have money and everything they are doing is turning me off. It's a downtown not a McDonalds Playplace.
right, but unfortunately for you (but luckily for most everyone else), downtown is not being designed based off your interests. A movie theater for example is going to draw more people downtown than a head shop.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
right, but unfortunately for you (but luckily for most everyone else), downtown is not being designed based off your interests. A movie theater for example is going to draw more people downtown than a head shop.

I have Netflix and Prime like the rest of the civilized world. I don't care to be around the morons that waste 25 dollars on a medium soda and large popcorn and then pay extra for ranch seasoning salt.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have Netflix and Prime like the rest of the civilized world. I don't care to be around the morons that waste 25 dollars on a medium soda and large popcorn and then pay extra for ranch seasoning salt.
Good for you. The fact that theaters seem to have interest in expanding and the fact that theaters are hitting record box office numbers says the market disagrees with you. Ticket sales revenues are up for the distributors, and with more and more theaters offering full-service options, id wager each theater is drawing more dollars per viewer as well these days too.

• Informative
Reactions: Cytasticlone

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Here's the Register article on Blackbird pulling their proposal and some Mandelbaum proposal amendments: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rd-withdraws-clears-path-mandelbaum/99994930/

It looks like the threatre isn't a lock now. The city said they can do a hotel in place of it.

The updated agreement approved Monday gives Mandelbaum the option to build a hotel along Court Avenue in place of a theater. The hotel must be at least 150 rooms if built on Court Avenue and at least 84 if built on Walnut as part of the tower.

Previously, the agreement called for a 50-room hotel.

Under the new deadlines approved Monday by the City Council, Mandelbaum must:

• Finish the parking garage by Oct. 31, 2019.
  • Start construction on the theater or hotel facing Court Avenue by Oct. 31, 2019.
  • Start construction on the Walnut Street tower by Oct. 31, 2019.
  • Reopen skywalk sections by Sept. 1, 2022.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The theatre is out the window. The new proposal is very similar to Blackbirds.

Word from someone I know that watched the council meeting is that the theater is still the preference....hotel is more of a plan B. I"m guessing financing a hotel might be easier now, but the fact is you're going to have the new hotel a few blocks north at the Iowa Events Ctr, a Courtyard by Marriott is proposed on the 1/4 block by the Savory, and the plan is to convert the Midland Building (one block to the west) to a boutique hotel. That doesn't even account for all the new hotels that have already opened up downtown the last few years.

Here's to hoping this tower gets built and the movie theater is a part of it.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Gonna be a cool project. Best news I heard was that my company won't be doing the sprinklers in it. Thank god. I'd be there for 2 years.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The Mandelbaum Tower is now proposed at 40 stories, 452 feet. This will make it the 3rd tallest building in Iowa.

http://www.thefifthdsm.com
What would be #2? The list I've seen goes:
  1. 801 Grand 45
  2. Ruan Center 36
  3. Marriott Hotel 33
  4. Financial Center 25
Edit I guess I see the actual height but I question how you get so many more floors and still be shorter.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Any idea what pricing will look like for these units? I'm thinking about relocating to DSM after the daughter graduates from high school, and downtown living would suit me just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.