NFL: ***Official Week 1 Thread***

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
This feels like a blowout, but is somehow only a 3 point game.

Is it just me or does Alex Smith actually look above average with less than 2 minutes left in a half? I'm not sure if it's a different sense of urgency or what.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Eli looks old now. Before ODB arrived, he looked like Rex Grossman. There is a reason why many are taking the Pats over the field. Nobody can compete with them in the AFC and while the NFC is much better than the AFC, the Pats will still be favored over them. I'm betting on the Pats all day, every day in 2018 (as long as the GOAT stays healthy).
Well the Goat is 40 and when you get in your 40s, recovery becomes much slower after every game. Also, it's a long season. To say other teams don't have a chance is ridiculous. This isn't the Golden State Warriors. There is quite a bit of parity in the NFL.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Well the Goat is 40 and when you get in your 40s, recovery becomes much slower after every game. Also, it's a long season. To say other teams don't have a chance is ridiculous. This isn't the Golden State Warriors. There is quite a bit of parity in the NFL.

The Warriors still had to beat The Chosen One, a much tougher task. Where is the threat at in the NFL? I know NFL normally has much more parity, but I've never seen a heavier favorite than this Pats team. The 07 Pats team had to deal with a prime Peyton, Rivers, Ben, and Eli. They are now all retired and old. Brady still has good years left in him and he still wants to do it. He's had much less injuries than Peyton did therefore I say he plays into his 40s. Brady is one of a kind, just like LeBron, Jordan, or Lawrence Taylor.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The Vikings may indeed be terrible this year, but I wouldn't spend much time worrying about pre-season performances. They generally aren't an indicator of anything. Getting through healthy is the biggest thing.

This. In 2008 the Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. That was the year they finished the regular season 0-16.

The only thing the preseason will really tell you is which team is cutting the best players.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Brady looking pretty bad, right now.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm a little surprised Bode is already wrong with his season predictions only one game into the season

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Losing Eric Berry ******* blows
yeah, that hurts a lot. Just have to hope that it's not as serious as it looked.

Congrats to the Chiefs. It felt like they were on the verge of getting blown out in the first half. They were great in the 2nd half and made the Patriots look very pedestrian in their own house.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
eab3005ed8de24d7f699850ac0701c3b.jpg

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Fans of anybody else out side of the Patriots just give up now. New England has the greatest quarterback of all time, greatest coach of all time, and maybe this year the greatest team of all time this year. Do people really think their team has a shot to do anything this year? If you root for a team like the Eagles, Vikings, Titans, or Rams and it'd be a successful season for you just to make the playoffs, then I won't stop you from having optimism and excitement for this season. But if you think your team can actually win the Super Bowl, sorry to say you are SOL.

So...you were saying?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Few random thoughts...

It's only one game. Brady might come out sharp in week two and we forget all about this one. But...with older QBs the decline isn't slow and gradual. It's a drop off of a cliff. Just something to watch for. Time will tell. If there was ever a coach bold enough to bench a first ballot hall of famer QB, it's Belichick.

It's a damn long season. And if injuries continue to occur at the rate they did tonight I don't know who will still be standing by Week 17. I don't know how Goodell gets his eighteen game schedule unless there are expanded rosters and a bigger piece of the revenue for the players.

I'm excited to see where Alex Smith fulfills his destiny as the ultimate game manager QB for a Super Bowl team with a dominant defense and running game after the Chiefs turn the offense over to Mahomes in a year or two. Jacksonville, maybe?

Last edited: