What will success look like? Fall 2017

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Curious if anyone wants to define what success would look like (obviously no losses would be huge, but define 'success' over what might be considered an average season for you). Also, list what would make you feel this fall would be a total loss (obviously 0 wins qualifies here, but looking for any issue that would turn an average season into a bad one in your opinion).

Myself, I am expecting a solid win over UNI. A loss there would make it nearly impossible for me to support keeping Coach Campbell barring 7+ wins the rest of the season.

I also expect to have a competitive game vs Iowa. I believe a win vs Iowa is very much within reach.

To me, great success would be to see this team remain competitive on into the late season, and to be able to avoid those fourth quarter collapses when the team has a substantial lead (like happened at least twice last season).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I suppose 5 wins is progress but I'd like to see more of a jump.

Some solid consistent defense would also be a success.

On CF:

-No meltdowns Saturday night if it's a close 1st half or after the first time ISU punts.
-No passive 'CPR should still be ISU's coach--he just needed one more year' threads if things don't start out very well.

• Optimistic
Reactions: khardbored

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Ideally 6+ wins, but if we get 5+ wins plus being competitive, I'll consider it as a step in the right direction. The offensive skill players are as good as we've had in a long time, but inexperience on the lines has me pumping the brakes a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: FDCy83

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Well an average season would be 2-3 wins, so I would go 5+ wins as a success especially if the team shows even more improvement.
6-7 wins, with a chance at 1 more, is probably the ceiling for this year. 2018 setting up for a big year.

• Agree
Reactions: TLG8ST8

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Sounds like we are relatively healthy, so I also expect a solid win over UNI. Frankly, the season would practically be a **** show if we lose to them again at home.

I am not going to "expect" a bowl game, but I definitely think 6-6 is not an unreasonable hope. A 3-1 start would go a long ways to setting us up for a very fun year. Clear progress.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Noticeable progress for all of us: 6 wins and a bowl game.

Real progress that's not as noticeable:
1. Cut the chaos we had vs. UNI and Iowa last year, even win those games.
2. 5 wins and being in all the games.

Just make it easy and go bowling.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
6 wins. 3-0 non conference
and go 3-6 min in conference.
go to orlando, Houston or Phoenix for a bowl.

Thats my min. Feel like with our talent we should get 6 wins.

Other goals:
Beat the heck out of teams like UNI. They shouldn't be in the game.
like said earlier. Don't get smoked in ISU fashion. Like 63-7. I think we have done better on that lately. I just want to go on the road to OU and think we have a shot. Not thinking keep it within 35.

Beat KSU and OU would be nice ::)

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and FDCy83

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Myself, I am expecting a solid win over UNI. A loss there would make it nearly impossible for me to support keeping Coach Campbell barring 7+ wins the rest of the season.

I believe we should always beat UNI, but firing a guy after year 2?

• Agree
Reactions: tolfbfan

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
To me success is always the postseason. So 6 wins for football. However, I'd say my scorched earth level is 3 wins. In the middle is understandable but not a success.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Noticeable progress for all of us: 6 wins and a bowl game.

Real progress that's not as noticeable:
1. Cut the chaos we had vs. UNI and Iowa last year, even win those games.
2. 5 wins and being in all the games.

Just make it easy and go bowling.

Yeah. My heart says they're winning 6-7 games and going bowling. My head is saying more like five wins, with 6+ wins and a bowl trip coming next year. A lot of it is unproven or inexperienced now, but I do believe that the talent on the roster now is far superior top to bottom than it was in Rhoads' final season. Once those kids from Campbell's 2016 and 2017 class get a chance to get some experience, I expect a big leap forward in 2018.