What are your favorite "Iowa" sayings...

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Dinner is when you have supper for lunch.
On Sundays we used to have Sunday dinner after church and in the evening just have sandwiches.
Of course I grew up out east so what would I know?

Dinner is the big meal of the day. Ont he farm, dinner was big because you worked all day long. Supper was just a little snack before bed. There is no lunch.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Sack. (Everywhere else, it's a bag - I won't get into what a sack really is)
Pop. (Already brought up, where I came from it's soda.)
Crick. (You mean a creek?)
Pridner. (A bastardization of pretty near.)
And it seems to me that an awful lot of Iowans end sentences with "....and stuff". My father-in-law is a big fan of this.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Taco pizza... Had a guy in this week for work from Seattle, we ordered pizza one day and one of them was taco. He was amazed at taco pizza, said he's never seen anything like that out west.

Reactions: 88clone

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Sack. (Everywhere else, it's a bag - I won't get into what a sack really is)
Pop. (Already brought up, where I came from it's soda.)
Crick. (You mean a creek?)
Pridner. (A bastardization of pretty near.)
And it seems to me that an awful lot of Iowans end sentences with "....and stuff". My father-in-law is a big fan of this.

Pertne'r

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
A Kybo is no place to be on a late Aug. Sat. morning at JTS.
Are you making Pickle Rolls?
Give me a Tenderloin.
My town used to have a Maid-Rite.

Reactions: arobb

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
Taco pizza... Had a guy in this week for work from Seattle, we ordered pizza one day and one of them was taco. He was amazed at taco pizza, said he's never seen anything like that out west.

"Taco pizza" is a saying??

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
Dinner vs supper

Is dinner lunch?

Growing up on a farm, we always got up around 5:00 and ate breakfast, milked the cows, did chores, came in (or Mom brought it out) and ate lunch around 9:00, went out and did whatever project we had going on (repairs, bean walking, building, etc.), came in and ate dinner at noon, and worked, ate supper around 6:00 milked either before or after supper, got the eggs, warshed them, and came in for a shower and bed. On early nights, we'd take a few ears of popcorn off the drying rods and pop some corn.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored