CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Just to try to prove I am not a complete stick in the mud (though I am)...

I really like our current basketball uniforms and the tapered "funnel cloud" stripes on the shorts. Somebody put together a few concepts on using that same thing on our football uniforms...

4t71HCj.png

http://i.imgur.com/4t71HCj.png

I thought that would be a nice compromise -- get away from the USC comparisons, but retain a cleaner look with a modern twist to it (such as some of the OSU combinations above), build around a cool concept related to our Cyclone origins, and build some consistency between football and basketball. I think that would be cool and likely rather unique among our peers.

You could mix-and-match combinations, add helmet colors, and mix facemask colors from there.

Even if not that exactly, I think involving that stripe pattern would be neat.

Like the cardinal/cardinal/gold. Not so much the cardinal/white/white... need a different color helmet. Same with cardinal/gold/cardinal...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Get over it. We have no tradition and we have no identity in the national scope. When you don't have tradition to sell, you sell change.

I'd rather they sell winning football, but I get it. Stuff like this is for the players and recruits, not the crusty old fanbase. Whatever it takes, I suppose.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
1177129.jpg

Love it. Yes please.

I'd bet this is the original source:

I've been assuming for quite a while that we'll be adding a "gold", really yellow, helmet this season for sure. Did anyone watch the video with Lazard and Peavy walking through the facilities and when they went into the equipment room there was a box sitting on a table about the exact size that would fit over a helmet, but the equipment guys wouldn't let them peak under it?

It's obvious we're getting a new helmet, and I was assuming it would be "gold", since gray isn't even one of our colors yet. Why would we add a gray helmet before a "gold" one, that would be stupid.

I do like the gray jerseys and pants, but not sold on the gray helmet yet. Just like I'm not sold on CMC always wearing black shirts and gray pants this offseason it seems. JP wouldn't allow him to add black to our colors I hope. CMC sure likes that black ISU polo though.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy and CYCLNST8

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We do have a habit of jumping on fads about five years after they peak and 2-3 years after they are really cool anymore. We are a bunch of Iowans, after all.

South Park did it.

Also, the correct answer to all this is the Trice throwback colors, but with gold numbers instead of white. The "amestoplease" variant earlier looks awesome.

And flip in the tornado funnel logo on occassion, it's awesome. If I ever got a tattoo...

Reactions: Sigmapolis

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
You must not go far. Most in AZ have a tough time telling the difference between us and iowa and have no clue what conference we are in. It's the heat, perhaps.

Actually I do go far. California, Colorado, Texas, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Utah, New Mexico as well as overseas all in the last year...shall I go on? Never had an issue with people recognizing I-State, and have found people very knowledgable about who we are and what conference we are in. They know our basketball team and the success we've had, they are aware of our lack of success in football, and quite often they engage in a meaningful discussion about both. Sorry if your experience has been different.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Y'know, if they insist on using gray, if our grays look like this, I think it'd have a good look. I think the current gray is too dark, it looks too close to black. If the idea is to make it look like a "storm cloud," I understand that, but it doesn't work as well if the "concept" trumps the visual. A muted gray with cardinal & gold accents could "pop." I think the charcoal swallows the bright colors.

• Agree
Reactions: stiles4cy