Notes from Matt Campbell's interview on today's Sports Fanatics

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I like Campbell more every day. He is not worried about Iowa, what they say, what they do. He is worried about ISU and what they need to do to get better. In the end, if ISU gets a little better, they will be able to beat Iowa along the way. Right now Campbell and company need to focus on getting better players, more wins and eventually to bowl games.

Reactions: VeloClone

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Enjoyed the interview but you know damn well he's heard the comments from Brian Ferentz

DumbFan

Mar 15, 2009
Central Iowa
Taking shots at a rival, especially when it comes to recruiting tactics, screams inferiority complex and insecurity. I personally love it that the EIU coaches are saying these things. It means they are nervous about the state of affairs. I hope they maintain their bull-headedness in recruiting strategy long term...it could very well be detrimental to their success the next 5-10 years and Brian may be looking for a new gig.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Enjoyed the interview but you know damn well he's heard the comments from Brian Ferentz

I think his shot was asking for clarification for which Ferentz said it.

I really hope his time at ISU produces some really great times because he's so far taken some big steps in the right direction in the recruiting and from what I can tell, schematically.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
I think his shot was asking for clarification for which Ferentz said it.

I really hope his time at ISU produces some really great times because he's so far taken some big steps in the right direction in the recruiting and from what I can tell, schematically.
He didn't ask which farentz said it. He said he had no idea who Brian farentz is.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He didn't ask which farentz said it. He said he had no idea who Brian farentz is.

Not trying to split hairs since it's basically the same thing/dig...

"After it was clarified to Campbell which Ferentz made the comments, he didn’t seem to have much interest in taking direct shots back at the Hawkeyes".

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Not trying to split hairs since it's basically the same thing/dig...

"After it was clarified to Campbell which Ferentz made the comments, he didn’t seem to have much interest in taking direct shots back at the Hawkeyes".

I agree. Matt's shot was acting like he didn't know who Brian was

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Anyone reading this can laugh but Matt Campbell is going to have this program playing for the big 12 title within a very short period of time. The single biggest key to achieving that is keeping this staff intact 100% over the next 3-4 years IMO.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Anyone reading this can laugh but Matt Campbell is going to have this program playing for the big 12 title within a very short period of time. The single biggest key to achieving that is keeping this staff intact 100% over the next 3-4 years IMO.
Not laughing and asking why not Campbell? Coaches that employ the right system in the right location have done very well. Look at Snyder at KSU and even Ferentz at Iowa. Nothing complex about their coaching style...bring in the right recruits and get buy in from the players and coaches. Why fire Rhodes and hire Campbell if you think Campbell will get the same results....now, the very short period of time could be questioned...we are starting out near the bottom.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Matty gave him the old "it doesn't matter what your name is". I love it.

tumblr_mbqbdd7J4U1rb4egio1_400.gif

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not laughing and asking why not Campbell? Coaches that employ the right system in the right location have done very well. Look at Snyder at KSU and even Ferentz at Iowa. Nothing complex about their coaching style...bring in the right recruits and get buy in from the players and coaches. Why fire Rhodes and hire Campbell if you think Campbell will get the same results....now, the very short period of time could be questioned...we are starting out near the bottom.

Mostly because Campbell has a lot of loyalty in his coaching staff. CPR had coaches in and out like a revolving door. KF and BS have had very little turnover in their coaching staffs, and it show in those close games that they always seem to win and ISU always seems to lose. (I know ISU has won a few close ones with Iowa. but in general, the Hawks play a lot of close games and usually come out on top in the end.)

I think it also helps with recruiting to have the same guys year after year. They all know what the coaching staff as a whole is looking for and are probably more efficient at recruiting.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I thought he asked if it was Kirk Ferentz as a way to dismiss the need to respond to it because a comment by Brian Ferentz doesn't deserve a response. In any case, the dismissive manner in which he handled the question was great. Campbell wasn't going to be baited into discussing recruitment in Iowa on Brian Ferentz's terms.

However, I still wish he had said something about standing behind all of our offers until the scholarships are all gone.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I agree. Matt's shot was acting like he didn't know who Brian was

No doubt about it. But he played it perfectly. Gives Brian Ferentz the "I don't even know who that guy is" treatment and reinforces the idea that ISU isn't worried about what other programs are doing and they're just focusing on their guys.