From DA BEARS! to Duh, Bears...

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I remember a picture of Matt Stafford Military pressing a keg at a frat party was floating around the internet, worked out ok for Detroit.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I remember a picture of Matt Stafford Military pressing a keg at a frat party was floating around the internet, worked out ok for Detroit.

Great player.

Still one playoff win since 1957.

I had to type that because I didn't know that and found it to be quite shocking.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I enjoyed reading this:

http://deadspin.com/the-bears-mitch-trubisky-pick-keeps-looking-worse-and-w-1794796075

“We don’t know what the hell they were doing,” said an executive from one team that is routinely in the postseason. “It’s all anyone is talking about. It’s really bad between Pace and Fox. Fox is fuming about being left in the dark on the trade (for Trubisky). I don’t know anyone who likes their draft. From the first pick on, we can’t figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It’s really bad between Pace and Fox.”

An executive from another team noted: “Either the Bears know something no one else in the league knows, or that draft just got a lot of people fired only they don’t know it yet.”

later in the article...

But we don’t have to wait four years to laugh at the Bears bidding against themselves to grab the No. 2 pick from the 49ers, or at the confusion in Chicago that led to the deal being a total surprise to Trubisky, to head coach John Fox, and to Mike Glennon, who had been asked to attend the team’s draft party and learned he will be an expensive stopgap at the same time everyone else did. (Glennon is reportedly pissed off about that.)

But the BEST part of all - Peter King was actually present in the 49ers Draft Room to witness this transaction first-hand:

The thing to read today is Monday Morning Quarterback, because Peter King was inside the 49ers’ draft room as they swapped picks with the Bears for a random, and still took the player they didn’t dare hope they’d get.

The Niners’ draft board went Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, and then, kind of shockingly, Reuben Foster. They presumed, given the scouting on the QBs available in this draft, that anyone who wanted their pick would use it on Thomas, and Foster would still be on the board for a while. So the Bears, just one spot lower, weren’t their preferred trading partner. But the Bears were willing to give up more than anyone else.

The Bears and Niners had an understanding that if Chicago’s man was still on the board after Cleveland picked (Chicago GM Ryan Pace wouldn’t tell Lynch who Player X was; the Niners figured it was Thomas), the Bears would give at least two third-round picks to move from three to two.

The 49ers were as surprised as anyone when the Bears drafted Trubisky, and positively thrilled that they’d snatched up three picks in exchange for, functionally, nothing.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I actually think they made some terrific decisions!

Signed, a smiling Viking's fan.

As a Niners fan and a direct beneficiary 3 years from now, I concur. Might as well sign Cutler to a lowball contract and load it with games played/performance incentives while we're at it.

Thanks Bears!

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So awesome. So they got 2 of their 3 top players, I hope they're right. I've heard foster is stud, but sounds like he's an a-hole.

Here's the Peter King article - you might enjoy it:
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/...aft-room-bears-trade-reuben-foster-peter-king

This is pretty crazy:

Bizarrely, as Jenny Vrentas of the The MMQB reported, (49ers GM John) Lynch and (Solomon) Thomas had taken a management class together when Lynch returned to Stanford to get his degree in 2014. Thomas was a freshman. So Lynch said when the phone was answered, “Solomon! It’s me! … John Lynch! You want to be a 49er?”

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

Help Support Us

Become a patron