Underwood to Illinois - Prohm Now Lowest Paid

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Same things said in 2011 and extending CPR's contract.

You act like ISU gave CPR some huge contact. It was the thing to do at the time and it needed to be done. You cannot sit around and wait for someone else offer your coach more. You have to be working with him along the way to be sure he is happy. That means paying him competitively.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Yes the money is there. The money was there for Fred if he wanted it.

I don't know how you know this but that isn't what Jamie said. When talking about Fred's last contract, I remember hearing him say that that was as far as they could go (more artfully though obviously).

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
And if he leaves, you're good with that?

I would be more upset if we lost Campbell. And Campbell's assistants.

And Illini went way overboard with their overpayment to Underwood. No one in their right mind thinks that it was shrewd paying Underwood that kind of money.

Okie State is still feeling the burn of the Travis Ford contract extension.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

And Illini went way overboard with their overpayment to Underwood. No one in their right mind thinks that it was shrewd paying Underwood that kind of money.

So no, you wouldn't be. Then you agree we'll have to pay.

Has anyone proposed 10 years? Nope.

And no, Ok St isn't. IIRC they're actually now basically clear.

• Agree

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

And no one is suggesting we pay that type of money. Just get him to the middle of the B12 and extend him a couple of years.

Try to catch up champ.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Talk of paying Prohm $3 million is premature and actually pretty stupid. He is under contract and ISU is a great job. Paying exorbitant salaries does not guarantee results. If Prohm leaves, so be it. Prohm is 42 years old. For his experience he is being paid very well. I trust in Pollard. You might give Prohm a small bump and extension. But you just don't open the vault.

I certainly don't want him to leave because finding the next coach, as we all know, is somewhat of a crapshoot. AND we'll have to pay that coach $2.5 mil +/- to get anyone decent. So why not just pay Prohm that since we know we have a good one??

I don't see anyone saying "open the vault!", more saying "pay him what he is worth".

Last edited:

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Adding $1,000,000 to the contract could easily be made up through donations and other sources, so it'd be dumb to loose Prohm over something so trivial. To put it in perspective, to cover that cost, you'd have to raise the cost of each season ticket by $69.65 or $4.35 per game. I'd sure be willing to pay that to continue the success of the program. And it wouldn't even need to be put solely on the ticket holders. Raise prices of some other things as well, I don't think many would balk at paying 50 cents more for a Clone Cone or something. The point being, if we loose Prohm because we couldn't "afford" to keep him, then JP has gone off his rocker.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When do we start paying our football coach at Middle Big 12 Salary? Campbell is near the bottom. Campbell inherited a mess. Not a team with a strong nucleus returning that had just won back to back Conference Tournaments.

Prohm has done okay. But it is way too soon to give out a big pay raise. Illini were stupid to give Underwood that kind of money. We should not respond to their stupidity by being stupid as well.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Raise Season ticket prices for basketball to pay for the raise. Say $100 to $200 across the board.
I'm in!

But that type of increase isn't needed if you're paying coaches of the non-revenue sports the amount we are.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Adding $1,000,000 to the contract could easily be made up through donations and other sources, so it'd be dumb to loose Prohm over something so trivial. To put it in perspective, to cover that cost, you'd have to raise the cost of each season ticket by $69.65 or $4.35 per game. I'd sure be willing to pay that to continue the success of the program. And it wouldn't even need to be put solely on the ticket holders. Raise prices of some other things as well, I don't think many would balk at paying 50 cents more for a Clone Cone or something. The point being, if we loose Prohm because we couldn't "afford" to keep him, then JP has gone off his rocker.

We didn't even make the Sweet Sixteen. Good Grief. I want to see how Prohm does without Monte Morris next year.

• Dislike

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
When do we start paying our football coach at Middle Big 12 Salary? Campbell is near the bottom. Campbell inherited a mess. Not a team with a strong nucleus returning that had just won back to back Conference Tournaments.

Prohm has done okay. But it is way too soon to give out a big pay raise. Illini were stupid to give Underwood that kind of money. We should not respond to their stupidity by being stupid as well.
You think Duke will go cheap when replacing Coach K?

You (over)spend money to maintain success just as much as you spend to gain it.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We didn't even make the Sweet Sixteen. Good Grief. I want to see how Prohm does without Monte Morris next year.
Read the Tribune article on maxing out.

You success of a coaching job isn't measured by the outcome of a toss up game

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

Out football success isn't anywhere close to our basketball success.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston

I do too, and it might just cost a little more to see that. I'm not saying add the $1,000,000 or not, I'm just saying that we can easily afford it. Coaches usually see a bump after success and Prohm has done everything that was asked of him and more IMO. While we did have great players from Fred his first two years, there was still a chance that it would fall apart. There are a lot of coaches that might have came in and not found the success that Prohm did. Give him a bump and add a few years onto it. I'm sure Prohm and JP can come to terms on what that bump is, but I wouldn't think twice about paying a little more each game to keep him happy.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You think Duke will go cheap when replacing Coach K?

You (over)spend money to maintain success just as much as you spend to gain it.

I don't think Duke will open the vault for a guy a couple years removed from Murray State that inherited a Top 10 team and has never been further than the Sweet 16.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How much do those coaches make?

When do we start paying Matt Campbell mid Big 12 pay?
More than the their sport's season ticket revenues.

When he has mid Big 12 results. He got a big jump coming here and he'll get another big one when he finishes 2nd in the Big 12

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron