Purdue

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
This homer post from purdue forum. CF Response?

My thoughts on Iowa State:

1. They scare me. They are very athletic and they all can shoot. I suspect the first half will be rough but I trust CMP will right the ship.
2. Doesn't ISU have a legacy of signing completely marginal student-athletes? Didn't they have a player who couldn't read at the 4th grade level a few years ago (Kizer? Tinsley?)
3. Didn't they have a coach show up drunk at a frat house a couple years ago?
4. When UT and OU inevitably blow up the B12, they will be begging the Missouri Valley for an invite and only if they bring KSU as a travel partner.

They apparently are striving to be the next UNLV. That doesn't mean they can't beat us - in fact they very well might - but it doesn't mean I need to have a shred of respect for them
BoilerBulldog, Today at 10:09 PM

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
As a toss up game, this is a toughness (mental and physical) and effort game. Whoever gets the most 50/50 balls wins. That's where our vast experience edge makes the difference in the game

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Looking into the stats deeper, Swanigan leads them in turnovers per game. If we can get turnovers, especially at the expense of Swanigan, we likely win. Conversely, if Burton gets in foul trouble then that could be our achilles heel.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and awd4cy

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
17353344_10104092825052750_5044492031338823664_n.jpg

When I was in college, I hoped that the Boilermakers were bartenders; big difference.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
It's possible ISU would have won the Big 10. We finished tied for second in a conference that was ranked behind just the ACC in strength. Would we have, though? I don't know. Prior to Feb 4, ISU was 5-4 in the Big 12 conference. The significance of that day is that was the day we won at Kansas, and that started the current tear we are on, in which we've won 11 of the last 13 games, including 5 wins over RPI top 25 (current metric used by the selection committee - as bad as it is). But, compare this to Michigan, who was 4-5 on Feb 4. They are on a similar tear as us, winning 11 of the last 14 (they had to play one more game in the Big 10 tournament than we did). Even on that roll, Michigan only finished 5th in the Big 10.

I guess what I'm saying is it's possible we could have won the Big 10, but with the way ISU was playing before Feb 4, I wouldn't have put money on it.
Has a big 12 team even beaten a big ten team yet this year? Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it's 6-0 b10.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Checked their board this morning.

They aren't very confident as a group.

Many are realizing their weaknesses play to our strengths. But ours probably play into theirs as well.

This should be a great college basketball game of contrasting styles.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
This homer post from purdue forum. CF Response?

My thoughts on Iowa State:

1. They scare me. They are very athletic and they all can shoot. I suspect the first half will be rough but I trust CMP will right the ship.
2. Doesn't ISU have a legacy of signing completely marginal student-athletes? Didn't they have a player who couldn't read at the 4th grade level a few years ago (Kizer? Tinsley?)
3. Didn't they have a coach show up drunk at a frat house a couple years ago?
4. When UT and OU inevitably blow up the B12, they will be begging the Missouri Valley for an invite and only if they bring KSU as a travel partner.

They apparently are striving to be the next UNLV. That doesn't mean they can't beat us - in fact they very well might - but it doesn't mean I need to have a shred of respect for them.
BoilerBulldog, Today at 10:09 PM

raw

• Funny
Reactions: caustic217

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Has a big 12 team even beaten a big ten team yet this year? Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it's 6-0 b10.

Did I say "would", or did I say "could"?

And, for the record:

Baylor beat Michigan St
Kansas beat Nebraska
West Virginia beat Illinois

Not only that, but that doesn't even account for the fact that those games took place in 2016. Iowa State is a completely different team now in March - not to mention, so is Iowa. I doubt you all would want a head-to-head now.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I think Burton will get a few steals from Swainagin.

I've noticed Burton has recently been pretty quick at slapping the ball out of opponents' hands down low before the go up for the shot. It's led to some good turnovers and helped avoid foul trouble for Burton too. Hopefully that will be effective today as well.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

And, for the record:

Baylor beat Michigan St
Kansas beat Nebraska

Not only that, but that doesn't even account for the fact that those games took place in 2016. Iowa State is a completely different team now in March - not to mention, so is Iowa. I doubt you all would want a head-to-head now.

And, for the record:

Baylor beat Michigan St
Kansas beat Nebraska

I'd take the head to head now.

You just used the big 12's record against the ACC to show which you thought was the stronger conference. Is that not applicable now?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Please, take your living vicariously through the other B10 teams to the mega rivals thread.
I'm really not. I'm discussing the big ten in a thread about a team from the conference, in response to a poster who hinted that ISU would win that conference.

I'd rather see Wisconsin, Michigan state, and Minnesota go down in flames every year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yeah, Michigan shot better than they ever have in their life, and set NCAA records for their 3 pt % in the 2nd half, and won by one point against OSU who was seeded below Michigan and barely made the tourney. Great win! Any team that shoots the lights out at a record level usually win by 20+.

OSU was clearly the better team, and would have won by 10+ if Michigan doesn't have a game where literally everything they threw up there went in. And don't tell me OSU played horrible defense, nearly every shot was well guarded.

I give Michigan credit for knocking them down, but they were not the better team on that court.

Help Support Us

Become a patron