*** Official #24 IOWA STATE VS #10 West Virginia Game(Day) Thread ***

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I'll tell you what, if you can find a single post of mine in the 27 pages I just read through that were filled with vitriol where I was gloating I'll apologize. I'll tell you another thing, don't bother looking because you won't find one. Despite numerous instances where I wanted to fire back I didn't. The post of mine you responded to was my only post in this entire thread and there wasn't any gloating in it.

Now, while we're talking about classy, what is the classy response when you wrongly accuse someone of something because you happen to be in a bad mood?
Spare me the butthurt. Johnny Orr once famously said that "nothing good happens after midnight" when some players were out somewhere they shouldn't have been and were hit by a train.

Nothing good happens on the board of a rival after a game like that. Go home or quit whining.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
A better analogy is if I was getting the outside corner and my catcher was interfering with their swing every time and the ump wasnt doing anything about it.
I used to like you guys, I really did, but you are quickly becoming one of the most unlikeable teams in the conference.
THIS x10,000,000!!! Plus, I'd add to your analogy the ump was being threatened and intimidated by your coach to let the infraction slide.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I must have missed the part where the guy inbounding the ball fouled somebody...I know, I get it, it's just funny when someone makes an impossible statement and says they're not exaggerating. I do get your point though, I disagree with it, but I understand why you feel that way.

As for adjusting, when we played in the old Big East, it was a much more physical style of basketball. You had to figure out every game how physical the refs would let you play. Even to the point of making adjustments during the game. If the Big 12 refs are going to allow physical play why on earth would you tell your players not to take advantage of that?

As for our baseball analogies, I'll bring up an anecdote. My college coach was 150 years old and oozed wisdom. One game sitting on the bench I complained to my catcher about the strike zone the ump was giving us. My coach overheard me and he told me I could either go to the locker room and look for a replacement umpire or I could figure out what I needed to do to get guys out. All these years and I still remember that like it was yesterday...for good reason. You gotta adjust.

If the refs decide to call a game tight, or just let 'em play, that would be fine. But what's frustrating is refs seem to think every time they call a foul on WVU they need to call one on the other team, despite the fact that WVU plays WAY more physical defense than most (all?) of their opponents.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Spare me the butthurt. Johnny Orr once famously said that "nothing good happens after midnight" when some players were out somewhere they shouldn't have been and were hit by a train.

Nothing good happens on the board of a rival after a game like that. Go home or quit whining.

Oh, I'm not whining. You did exactly what I thought you'd do and that says it all.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
If the refs decide to call a game tight, or just let 'em play, that would be fine. But what's frustrating is refs seem to think every time they call a foul on WVU they need to call one on the other team, despite the fact that WVU plays WAY more physical defense than most (all?) of their opponents.

I'm not sure what I think about that. I'm going to have to go look for some data.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
I'm so happy for you. But you most certainly are whining. "Look at me here on the Iowa State board. I'm so offended. Boo boo"

Now I'll stop feeding you, troll. Ignore it is.

You're trying your best to deflect from the fact you called me out for something I didn't do and aren't man enough to admit it, so you slither away.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I must have missed the part where the guy inbounding the ball fouled somebody...I know, I get it, it's just funny when someone makes an impossible statement and says they're not exaggerating. I do get your point though, I disagree with it, but I understand why you feel that way.

As for adjusting, when we played in the old Big East, it was a much more physical style of basketball. You had to figure out every game how physical the refs would let you play. Even to the point of making adjustments during the game. If the Big 12 refs are going to allow physical play why on earth would you tell your players not to take advantage of that?

As for our baseball analogies, I'll bring up an anecdote. My college coach was 150 years old and oozed wisdom. One game sitting on the
Your analogy is poor. It's more like playing against Aaron Craft. Motta spends every bit of energy establishing the myth that the guy is a great defender, when in reality he was a mediocre defender that used that reputation to grab, hold, hand check for forty minutes while the opposition is held to the actual rules of he game.

• Informative
Reactions: HoustonClone

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
giphy.gif

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I wonder why they give you "5" fouls...an accident? If a foul is "cheating" I presume you're against fouling somebody about to make an easy layup...or to extend a game when you're down hoping the other team will miss their free throws. Are those cheating and dishonoring the game?

News flash (and btw, YOU decided to come on this board, so deal with it).....a foul is a foul....and to play the entire game with a "they can't call them all" mindset is what I'm talking about. Huggins knows he's getting away with MANY fouls not being called. And he knows the game is changed because of it....in fact he's banking on it. Fouling intentionally at strategic parts of the game is not "volume fouling" with a mindset that it will change the entirety of how the game is played.

Also, read below:

"In basketball, a personal foul is a breach of the rules that concerns illegal personal contact with an opponent." Key word....illegal.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Oh, I'm not whining. You did exactly what I thought you'd do and that says it all.

I hope you're proud that you are now representing the entirety of the West Virginia fan base by coming on this board....poorly I may add.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
News flash (and btw, YOU decided to come on this board, so deal with it).....a foul is a foul....and to play the entire game with a "they can't call them all" mindset is what I'm talking about. Huggins knows he's getting away with MANY fouls not being called. And he knows the game is changed because of it....in fact he's banking on it. Fouling intentionally at strategic parts of the game is not "volume fouling" with a mindset that it will change the entirety of how the game is played.

Also, read below:

"In basketball, a personal foul is a breach of the rules that concerns illegal personal contact with an opponent." Key word....illegal.

You're making a distinction that has nothing to do with what I said. Where did I say a foul wasn't "illegal"? I was responding to someone who said it was "cheating". Let me make sure I understand though, intentionally fouling every single time the opponent brings the ball in late in a game is not volume fouling but playing extra aggressively on defense with the attitude that you may or may not get called is volume fouling?

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
I hope you're proud that you are now representing the entirety of the West Virginia fan base by coming on this board....poorly I may add.

As I said many posts ago...I'm not representing anything, I'm just a dude on a couch. And for the record, with the exception of my exchange with one poster who initiated a bad exchange, I haven't said anything derogatory about your team, your coach or your fan base. A lot of you are completely wrapped around the axle that I disagree about the fouls. That's it. Why is that confrontational? I've ignored countless antagonistic posts. I'm not "whining" about that fact, I understand why they're happening, I'm just saying if you're trying to convince me I'm behaving badly I think you need to go reread my posts and those directed at me.

• Agree
Reactions: Raider

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015

As for our baseball analogies, I'll bring up an anecdote. My college coach was 150 years old and oozed wisdom. One game sitting on the bench I complained to my catcher about the strike zone the ump was giving us. My coach overheard me and he told me I could either go to the locker room and look for a replacement umpire or I could figure out what I needed to do to get guys out. All these years and I still remember that like it was yesterday...for good reason. You gotta adjust.

Let me remind you of some of the parts you missed in WVU's last five games. It took not one, but two OT's and a butt load of fouls for you to beat Texas Tech on your home court. It took the cheapest foul of all 2017 for you to beat TCU by one lousy point. TCU won that game, you by default. You won't find one Big 12 fan outside Morgantown that believes you beat TCU fair and square. I won't mention Baylor handing your ass in a basket. Sure ISU could have played a better game but it's unanimous not just on this board the second half was a hack fest. You win again. Yeah Bruh it's not whether you win or lose it's how you play the game. You can rest assured there is more than one Big 12 team that's looking forward to playing WVU on a neutral court with good refs. Good luck in the tournaments because I think you are going to need it.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone
L

LincolnWay187

I was at the game tonight and I enjoyed the atmosphere at WVU. I have to say the fans around me were great - lots of welcoming comments. I felt that there were stretches that some calls didn't go our way but Monte was gifted 2 FTs when the replay at the stadium showed that he wasn't touched. My take is that we were indeed outplayed and that WVU defense is very good. They move very well laterally and they shut down the passing lanes (and I don't think it was all mugging). ISU has been a finesse team in recent years and some teams manage to get us out of our rhythm which happened tonight. A few other thoughts:

* ISU's margin of error isn't large enough that we can beat elite teams without excellent nights shooting from the field. We shot 38% and made fewer 2pters than 3's. We can't get beaten so bad on boards, not create a ton of turnovers (we did get some tonight), give the ball up on TO's more than usual AND have a below-average night shooting. On top of that the Mountaineers hit some timely 3's.

* Rim protection - Wow. WVU rejected the highest number of layups that I can remember. I remember now why ISU fans were anxious for McKay to start playing. Our lack of height really hurt us.

* Burton turned the ball over on their press a number of times trying to lead someone. Part of me wishes it were Monte back there and not Burton or Bowie but I think Prohm likes their ability to pass over the top of a trap.

* WVU broke our back by continuing to work the ball in the 2nd half and then getting short, easy shots at the end of the shot clock. Excellent execution and patience.

* I have a hard time imagining Jackson, Solomon, Babb and Lard being able to score against that WVU defense next year, when Monte, Matt and Naz struggled to do much other than take long jumpers at the end of the shot clock.

Unless you had floor seats...rewatch the game on tv dude.

cyclone2001

Feb 26, 2012
I am just happy this team is dancing, after how this season started and even mid season. A feat no Iowa team has achieved. Any wins after this is all icing. But the refs were just terrible this game , it broke the guys and they went into a shooting slump.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Let me remind you of some of the parts you missed in WVU's last five games. It took not one, but two OT's and a butt load of fouls for you to beat Texas Tech on your home court. It took the cheapest foul of all 2017 for you to beat TCU by one lousy point. TCU won that game, you by default. You won't find one Big 12 fan outside Morgantown that believes you beat TCU fair and square. I won't mention Baylor handing your ass in a basket. Sure ISU could have played a better game but it's unanimous not just on this board the second half was a hack fest. You win again. Yeah Bruh it's not whether you win or lose it's how you play the game. You can rest assured there is more than one Big 12 team that's looking forward to playing WVU on a neutral court with good refs. Good luck in the tournaments because I think you are going to need it.

I can assure you, I haven't missed any part of WVU's last 5 games, nor the ones that preceded those.

The TCU foul at the end was just a bad whistle, period. What would you have Huggs do, walk out on the court and ask the ref to call a do-over? Are we now guilty of fouls not called and fouls called? Claiming a game was won or lost on one whistle to the exclusion of the rest of the game though, well I'm just not going to buy that.

As for the Baylor loss, a season has its highs and its lows. We put a pretty good beat down on them to cut their #1 ranking as short as was possible. Kansas was both a high and a low.

As for playing us on a neutral court I'd point out we beat several schools on their home court so I think we've got a chance on a neutral court. We'll see.

I think everyone needs a little bit of luck now that we're in March.