Survey to rank the 2016 uniform combinations

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I really hope Nike goes back in our history to get our colors right.

Here are so old pic s of our helmets in the 50s
IAXISU4751-180-2.jpg

IAXISU5253-180-2.jpg

IAXISU6161-180-2.jpg

Reactions: k123

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I also want to point out if Nike gives us the Minnesota treatment where they take an old uniform but make it morsern there is about three styles we could see.

1.plain jerseys but I highly doubt it
6321013.jpg

2. Classics UCLA stripes. People give us crap for looking like USC but we actually use their rivals uniform fyi.
4025634.jpg

3. Sleeve stripes
17332.jpg

171377.jpg

2859243.jpg

4. My favorite but something with the jack trice stripes.

Also on a side note I absolutely love these as a throwback we could wear. I wouldn't even hate them as the base either.

• Informative
Reactions: k123

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
So for next year, here are my combination picks/choices. This is assuming we get the gold and grey helmets, stripes on all helmets, and white accent, keeping the current shoulder stripe design. In no particular order of preference, 7 Homes games first, (whoops, 8 here, make one an alternate), and 5 Away games (next post...)

Some good combos there (and some I don't like).

If we do get gold helmets and don't use a G-C-G combo at least once (preferably more) I'd be extremely disappointed. The G-G-C and G-C-C combinations look fairly sharp, though.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
IBlack really is not an option for an ISU, too ....

My distaste for the grays is partly that they do look black (or a slight shade less). Examples you posted like Wyoming and Tech, cardinal & gold might really stand out on that shade (I'd even go slightly lighter gray). I guess the goal is to look storm-cloud-ish, so it's fine conceptually, but isn't necessarily a great look. My opinion.

Maybe that puts me solidly into the Old Fart category.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Interesting. "gray storm clouds" is something I hadn't thought about. I thought our gray color looked a little sick and greenish, but now that you mention it, perhaps it makes sense as a sick storm cloud color. All of a sudden, I'm liking the gray uniforms a little more because it actually might tie into the Cyclones!

As with most things uniform design/coloration, it is all about the shade. If you went more with a silver (closer to that Wyoming uni, but even lighter)...that'd look pretty slick.

Or you lose the "storm" thing going on that @Cycsk seemed to enjoy.

Or you get an "unwashed jerseys" kind of thing going on.

I'd just rather we'd stick with cardinal, gold, and white.

The three look great together. There's a reason people like our current road set more than our current home set. We underdid the white in the home set last time around.

As far as the whole 'Storm' thing, that is what made me modify the Cyclone swirl/tornado. I would love to see it incorporated in some minor way, perhaps as a decal or secondary pant/sleeve logo, in the color of gray (w/ yellow and ligher gray shade for depth). It could also be cardinal/gold. View attachment 45573

Some good combos there (and some I don't like).

If we do get gold helmets and don't use a G-C-G combo at least once (preferably more) I'd be extremely disappointed. The G-G-C and G-C-C combinations look fairly sharp, though.
What I'm gathering is that many of of like the "traditional look", and some of us hedge on too much gray, or the gray in general. I like like gray on occasion, especially if the Coach and players want it. I also like the traditional, and have found a place for the 'gray swirl/tornado'. I think it looks great in the front of the pant/hip. I also added a hint of gray/gold for the chest "XII and swoosh". I think adding a little subtle gray tones down the cardinal/yellow, which sometimes can be over-powering. Also there is some shading here on the swirl, XII and swoosh, and red jersey, gold trim lettering, and two tone yellow/gold 'yellow jersey (next post). Don't know if they will do any of this though.
Here's a before and after on y/r/w to see the difference. Cy Uniforms 2017  s3a - y r w no swirl.jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s3a - y r w.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I would be fine if we stayed w/ a more traditional look for most Home games, r/r/y, and y/r/y for two or three games. Cy Uniforms 2017  s9a - r r y (002).jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s13a - y r y.jpg Then y/r/r or r/r/r one-two games, Cy Uniforms 2017  s1a - y r r.jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s12a - r r r (002).jpg added all yellow (y/y/y) and maybe w/y/w, one game, Cy Uniforms 2017  s50a - y y y.jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s36a - w y w.jpg and then the w/r/w Cy Uniforms 2017  s19a - w r w.jpg . We could then use one or two home games for gray alternate, like these Cy Uniforms 2017  s8a - y r g.jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s5a - r g y.jpg .

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are the modified (added gray swirl/tornado and a touch of gray "XII and swoosh") for Away, Cy Uniforms 2017  s30a - r w r.jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s42a - y w y.jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s35a - y w r.jpg Cy Uniforms 2017  s37a - w w r.jpg and one gray alternate Cy Uniforms 2017  s34a - w w g (003).jpg . Almost too many combination options, easy to get carried away.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I didn't realize how many combos were used. I'm traditional in terms of unis but I like the all gray once a year as an alternate. I would've liked a touch lighter so they don't look black, but overall thought it looked sharp.
I would like to see the all white as our core road uni. I'm less sure about the primary home uniform.
In general I would like to see these core uniforms with the all gray once a year, and maybe a Trice inspired uniform or throwback once a year as well.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I didn't realize how many combos were used. I'm traditional in terms of unis but I like the all gray once a year as an alternate. I would've liked a touch lighter so they don't look black, but overall thought it looked sharp.
I would like to see the all white as our core road uni. I'm less sure about the primary home uniform.
In general I would like to see these core uniforms with the all gray once a year, and maybe a Trice inspired uniform or throwback once a year as well.

I don't think we will have a "core" uniform anymore. We used a different combination every game this year and I think we can only expect the number of possible combinations to grow.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
w/w/w this year... Cy Uniforms 2017  s51a - w w w std.jpg

and modified slightly w/ a touch of gray/gold, and the gray tornado/swirl...
Cy Uniforms 2017  s51a - w w w .jpg
I don't think we will have a "core" uniform anymore. We used a different combination every game this year and I think we can only expect the number of possible combinations to grow.
Likely true, yes, we'll see. I hope we don't get too many odd combinations. As I think about it, we need the yellow/gold helmet, that would be great. But I think we could save a tiny bit of money and not get the gray helmets. There would be way too many combinations w/ the gray helmet included, already a ton, and would take away from our more traditional options.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Any of the combos involving a grey top or pants looked horrendous IMO. Might have looked better with black, but the grey just doesn't fit with Iowa State's other colors (especially the red/gray top/bottom combo-those are terrible). The Texas Tech unis looked pretty sharp though.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I really hope Nike goes back in our history to get our colors right.

Here are so old pic s of our helmets in the 50s
IAXISU4751-180-2.jpg

IAXISU5253-180-2.jpg

IAXISU6161-180-2.jpg

If those colors are right I'd rather be wrong. No idea why anyone would want to look like Boston College. Gold does not have to mean metallic.

• Winner
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I remember clone...but that video looks completely different from all the other photos I have seen.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron