Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
hJnImnL.png

Link to survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DRMSWVM

Hello there. Yes, "yet another uniform thread," but I thought to do something new with this one. This year marked several firsts in the history of ISU football and its wardrobe. This included the introduction of gray alternative elements, a white helmet (the first time since the 1950s the helmet was neither cardinal nor gold in color), multiple facemasks with the same helmet, and, most notably, after faking us out with the traditional look to open the season, the practice of never repeating a combination in a season.

We do not what the future holds for our look under the Campbell regime -- keeping the system from 2016, keeping its base parts but supplementing it with new ones, or a complete redesign. However, looking back on the 2016 with so much new in this department, I wanted to see what everybody on here thought of our various looks, from the more traditional outfits against UNI, TCU, and KU to the "moderately innovative" ones against Iowa, Texas, and WVU, to the "new age" ones against SJSU, OSU, and the like. I tend to be more of a traditionalist who favors a clean look, but I wondered how everybody on here might feel relative to the twelve options that Campbell and the program presented us with this year.

Assuming no changes, we now have two helmets, four jerseys (with the gold still hiding somewhere), and four pants elements to chose from. This is 32 potential combinations; we only saw 11 this year (c.c.gold repeated in the UNI and WVU games). Counting the facemask as a separate element, that means we actually have 64 choices overall and only saw 12 of them. That is almost three or over five seasons to go through all of them, assuming nothing changes. Still, I want to know what we all think now after the season's action.

The survey link is above and here again. Let me know if you have problems with it, but it should be pretty easy to rank "1" as the "best look" down through "12" as the worst. I have up to 1,000 responses for the month from Survey Monkey to do this, so plenty of space. I have done this a few other times in ranking things on other forums or on Reddit for discussion (various strategies/units/factions from video games, some things related to music or movies) and always enjoy the results, so I hope you all click on this.

The "cartoon" version above shows them all at once, as well, in case it is easier to look at that while trying to consider them for rankings all at once. Once I have enough responses or the #'s start to taper off, I will close it, and then post the raw data here along with some analysis. No work or school project here -- just curious myself. I figured you all might be curious about the forum's pulse, too, on an issue that is always so divisive for us.

Thanks everybody! Feel free to discuss in the meantime.

For the record, here is my ranking...

1. cardinal.white.cardinal w/ gray masks (against TCU) - always been our best look
2. cardinal.white.white w/ cardinal masks (against KU) - much better with cardinal masks
3. cardinal.cardinal.gold w/ gray masks (against UNI) - still a classic look, even if very U$C
4. white.white.white w/ cardinal masks (against Iowa) - great use of our colors, consistent stripes
5. cardinal.white.gold w/ cardinal masks (against Texas) - prefer this with gray masks still
6. cardinal.cardinal.gold w/ cardinal masks (against WVU) - looks a little too Minnesota for me
7. white.cardinal.white w/ cardinal masks (against TTU) - best of the "new age" ones, to me
8. white.white.gray w/ gray masks (against OSU) - I wonder what gray pants would look like in cardinal.white.gray setup like OSU and KU sometimes do
9. cardinal.cardinal.gray w/ gray masks (against Baylor) - the yellow stripes don't match
10. cardinal.cardinal.cardinal w/ cardinal masks (against OU) - ketchup bottles
11. cardinal.gray.gray w/ gray masks (against SJSU) - since when is gray a school color?
12. cardinal.gray.cardinal w/ gray masks (against KSU) - too much mismatch, way too dark for me

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DRMSWVM

P.S. If anybody wants to send that link around, including to these guys because I do not have a Twitter account myself to share it anywhere...

https://twitter.com/CycloneEQUIP

https://twitter.com/CycloneUniforms?lang=en

Please feel free to do so.

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I was a fan of the gray. I voted our road uniforms at Oklahoma state as number 1 and our all gray vs SJSU right up there as well. Still a big fan of the all Cardinal against OU.

No thanks to the @texas yellow

• Agree
Reactions: RedBlooded

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
HAVE to add a gold helmet and possibly a gray one too next year. I'd like to see the gray be a bit lighter too, but not a whole lot.

I would also love to see some white accents added too.

Reactions: beentherebefore

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I love that vintage Florida State look with real gold helmets, garnet/Cardinal jerseys, then either color for the pants.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How I ranked it (helmet-jersey-pants; g=gold; a=anthracite aka gray):

1. OSU (w-w-a)
2. Baylor (c-c-a)
3. K-State (c-a-c)
4. Iowa (w-w-w)
5. SJSU (c-a-a)
6. Kansas (c-w-w)
7. TT (w-c-w)
8. TCU (c-w-c)
9. WVU (c(c)-c-g)
10. UNI (c(a) -c-g)
11. OU (c-c-c)
12. Texas (c-w-g)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My rank:
1. Cardinal-white-cardinal (vs TCU) -- in current design package, nearly impossible to beat this.
2. All-white (vs. Iowa)
3. White-cardinal-white (vs. Tech)
4. All-cardinal (vs. OU)
5. Standard w/ cardinal masks (vs. WVa)
6. Standard (vs. UNI)
7. Cardinal-white-gold (vs. UT) -- it’s major “USC” look, but it’s sharp, balances school colors well.
8. Cardinal-white-white (vs. KU) ... I've been lukewarm about this combo since its unveiling
9. Cardinal-gray-cardinal (vs. KSU) (but why wear gray vs. K-State?)
10. Cardinal-gray-gray (vs. San Jose State)
11. White-white-gray (vs. OSU)
12. Cardinal-cardinal-gray (vs. Baylor)

--> I actually think 11 & 12 looked as good or better than (10), but use of gray in those cases seems more “tacked-on.” C-G-G was conceptually full-on.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I found myself ranking combos with more white higher, and combos with gray lower.

The Iowa uniform was the best of the year. TCU was 2nd. The best one we wore at home was probably OU.