site is next to unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I concur with this. Its most notable when typing wordier responses. It seem to be related to the amount of time spent on any given page, as longer times lead to more lag and the inevitable crash.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I use the site on Chrome (desktop and mobile), and Firefox (desktop), and have no problems with crashing, big ads, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
When this happens to me it's due to a flash based ad crashing and relaunching itself over and over again until it completely consumes the browser. At least that's what I saw in the chrome debugger. I'm not sure what CF can do about it unless they identify which ad is doing it and stop using that network's ads. As an end user, you can try using an ad blocker and see if that resolves it - or if you still want to support CF's ad based revenue but don't want the flash ads you can you could try disabling your flash plugin (explained for chrome here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-how-to-disable-flash-in-chrome/) - and seeing if that fixes the issue for you.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: Peter and Nymeria11

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
My computer has struggled majorly too. Its like every time I go to this site, the fan on my laptop ramps up and has to work about 5 times as hard and goes 5 times as slow, borderline to almost seeming like it is going to explode. This site is the absolute worst site I go to from a technical problems standpoint. Also, I can't use chrome anymore because when I try to type responses in the thread, there is an add in the response box that doesn't allow me to type at all in it. If I even try to click in the box, it goes to the add rather than allow me to type. Like others have said, my android mobile phone is a little bit better.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm using Chrome with AdBlocker and haven't had any issues.

Used this advice and it seems to help. However, now that I don't have ads down in the reply box, it still just doesn't allow me to click down there still and type. It just doesn't do anything when I try to click on the response box. Still, thanks for the advice. I've never used that extension before.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
This site is clunky for me, always has been. Typing from my desktop now, and it's starting to freeze as it always does. Open it on my iPhone? About 50% of the time the site just drops.

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Don't know why you all are having issues. Using Chrome with AdBlock (on a MacBook Pro) and haven't had a single problem. This site is probably one of the most stable of any I use, and plenty fast.

For those of you with issues: Is your browser updated? Do you have problems on any other sites? How old is your technology? Sounds like a browser/computer issue and not a site issue.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I'd be willing to say the vast majority of the people who aren't having problems are using adblock or something similar. That is a reasonable work around, but I'm sure the people running the site will want to know that one of their revenue streams is causing people to block out one of their revenue streams.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I've been running into this too, I assumed it was some ad going out of control on the page...
I installed an ad blocker and, WOW, how this site improved. With all these sniffers out there looking at your history, it's no wonder they 'wait' for each other consuming web page dynamic load waits.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Most of the stuff mentioned at the top of this thread happened to me rugularly on my old mac, I couldn't click on a thread without it stalling on me. Once I got a new comp, the problem has gone away. I seriously just think that the total amount of usage, historic threads that have been around collecting dust for 6+ years, and the constant updating of numerous different things is going to cause the slowness. I don't know if there is much you can do, with the resources they have, to continually update the site to make it work most efficiently. It sucks, but I think it is going to be a normalcy no matter what.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I use Firefox and have issues with the site crashing or extreme lag in typing responses.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Dear lord people...just use a damn ad blocker already. It blows my mind that people still don't use these to get rid of ads on websites and videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron