Getting the right wrestler

cywr89

May 14, 2009
This is not a fire KJ or sign him to 10 year extension thread as we have enough of them.

For the first several years, ISU has had a different staff annually which makes it very difficult for continuity in recruiting or development. (For non-wrestling posters, the assistant coaches set up the recruiting board and handle most of the preliminary work and are crucial in the development in room. The head coach can only do so much.) Each coach brings something different to the table and sometime new coaches don't mesh with the current wrestlers. I think this staff if trying to find the right wrestler and not just the highest ranked wrestler or whoever they can get. Remember the current RS Sophomores where Troy's recruits. Nothing against Troy and he may have been able to bring more out of these kids but that class had the talent to be real good but there doesn't seem the commitment needed to be successful at the D1 level. The current staff has had issues with Boston, Dante, RSR and Harrington. I want these guys to succeed and they have time but the clock is ticking. The current staff is in their third year. Yes, Travis has been on the staff longer but he did little recruiting as that was Troy's main duty.

Who are performing the best right now considering their ability and age? Simmons, Straw and DiBlasi and then you have Vega, Parker and Storr who are have as good of RS seasons as we have seen here for some time. The two outliers are Colbray (real head scratcher to this pt) and Gremmel (minor off mat issue and injury). I really like Baptista, too, but he will take a little longer like Straw and DiBlasi. I don't know the GPA and social status of all these kids but my understanding is most are very strong in the classroom and good leaders in the wrestling room and that is what you need to change a program.

The one thing that has been fairly consistent during KJ's coaching career is he can take the very good wrestler and make them great if they buy in. Z, Reader, Kyven. M. Moreno and Downey. Even Varner improved his Sr. year. The problem has been in development of so-so talent into very good talent. When you are building a program, you have to be able to do this. Sorenson comes to mind as one of the few exceptions. Still hurts thinking about how a freak injury ended his Sr. season. Maybe this development had more to do with not having the right kids in the room. We are seeing it with Simmons, Straw and DiBlasi. You can't make someone better unless they are willing to make the sacrifices to get better. I think we are starting to get the right kids in the room that are willing to make the sacrifices.

I have talked to several former wrestlers and they have almost all pointed out that you need well rounded kids to have lasting success. It appears the current staff is being in place long enough to incorporate this strategy. Yes, you will take some outliers and riskier recruits as they can pay off big but when they are your main recruits and don't pan out that is when your program fulls apart. You look at the last few recruiting classes they are not putting all their marbles in 1 or 2 guys which should allow them to reach success and maintain it.

Lastly, everyone will agree that KJ caused a lot of the coaching changes but he appears to have learned and now has a staff that he trust and they seem to be working well together. I am not happy at all with how this season has gone (or many since KJ has been here) but maybe the development in younger guys we have seen early in this season may give us a glimmer of what we can expect moving forward. Fire away!

Last edited:

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I don't know that I necessarily disagree with many of the points that you make, but you are much more optimistic than I am.

The "glimmer of what we can expect moving forward" comment is pretty much what has kept me hopeful through the rough patch we've been on since KJ took over. Its year 8, we should be seeing better results than we are seeing. That is the bottom line. I'm tired of "a glimmer of what we can expect moving forward", though I do appreciate your optimism.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Basically it boils down to hiring a coach who hadn't been a HC at the college level before. Large learning curve in a sport that is slower to turn than several (Juco ranks don't seem as heavily recruited as other sports it seems). This with the combination of a coach leaving, not fired, was a nasty one.

• Agree
Reactions: mdk2isu and Judoka

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Basically it boils down to hiring a coach who hadn't been a HC at the college level before. Large learning curve in a sport that is slower to turn than several (Juco ranks don't seem as heavily recruited as other sports it seems). This with the combination of a coach leaving, not fired, was a nasty one.

And not only leaving, but leaving behind little depth beyond a senior heavy lineup and taking a few of the recruits with him that had been committed to come. Little depth in the room and a scramble to assemble a recruiting class by a coach that hadn't ever done much if any recruiting = longer process.

• Disagree
Reactions: psyclone51

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Those 1st couple years we had issues with our top guys. Spangler with concussions and Sorenson rolling his ankle at Nationals and Reader losing in 1st round. I think these all happened in the 20th and 35th place years. It happens to many teams, but it happened to our #1 guy and we didn't have many horses in the stable then

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I've had a few glimpses into the program, and I was shocked at the lack of commitment and team cohesion. I can't judge too harshly as I don't know what it's like at other schools. But wrestling at this level takes a maniacal commitment, and I saw way too many starters going out three or four nights a week, smoking weed regularly and ******** about their coaches and teammates.

I understand these guys are young and have a lot of pressure on them. And I certainly don't expect them to not have fun or get along with everyone on the team. But there seemed top be a lack of pride and identity in the program. From what I understand, this has improved but I hope KJ can make these guys understand that wrestling at Iowa State is a privilege. I'm cheering for him as he' always been open and respectful in my interactions with him.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I've had a few glimpses into the program, and I was shocked at the lack of commitment and team cohesion. I can't judge too harshly as I don't know what it's like at other schools. But wrestling at this level takes a maniacal commitment, and I saw way too many starters going out three or four nights a week, smoking weed regularly and ******** about their coaches and teammates.

I understand these guys are young and have a lot of pressure on them. And I certainly don't expect them to not have fun or get along with everyone on the team. But there seemed top be a lack of pride and identity in the program. From what I understand, this has improved but I hope KJ can make these guys understand that wrestling at Iowa State is a privilege. I'm cheering for him as he' always been open and respectful in my interactions with him.

I don't know as much about what it is like now as I'm further removed from Ames and Iowa State than I used to be, but team cohesion is a real problem.

I can say that the guys I knew on the team were not going out at all outside of a few times May-August. The few guys whom I did see going out regularly or smoking weed didn't last long at all. Sort of a non-issue to me because if you're doing the right things, your performance in the classroom and on the mat will reflect that. If your not, performance in both will drop and you won't be around for long, may be part of the reason for the high turnover you see. Also goes back to recruiting.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Those 1st couple years we had issues with our top guys. Spangler with concussions and Sorenson rolling his ankle at Nationals and Reader losing in 1st round. I think these all happened in the 20th and 35th place years. It happens to many teams, but it happened to our #1 guy and we didn't have many horses in the stable then
Reader losing first round was 2010, KJ's first year when we finished 3rd. The year Reader won 174 is when we got 20th. But the point still stands, stuff happens.

Aug 22, 2013

I had decided to stay away from posting on this message board last year. But as someone that has a STRONG inside connection to the wrestling program at ISU. This post is 1000 % accurate...

SolarGarlic certainly knows whats going on in the Cyclone Wrestling room.