Cedar Rapids flooding

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Amazing how much rain has fallen in Northern Iowa this September. Hope to not see Cedar Rapids have too much issues. At least it's projected to be 8 feet less than 2008.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Amazing how much rain has fallen in Northern Iowa this September. Hope to not see Cedar Rapids have too much issues. At least it's projected to be 8 feet less than 2008.

I heard six less.

I personally know a business owner from the New Boheme district who has worked very hard to help restore that area. I would hate to see him have to start from scratch again.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I sandbagged Mercy in 08' an it was at my shoulders when we were doing that, it was truly unbelievable. Hope we stay dry.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Went on flood duty in '08. They sent us down to the SE corner of the state (my unit at the time was based out of Council Bluffs). I remember going out and seeing the damage and corn fields were completely submerged by white-capping water. It think that's the closest many people in this state have ever been to an ocean.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Does that mean IC is gonna flood too? They will have another reason for falling behind in attendance. Also, have they completed from the first flood. Time to just close that place down if it floods again.

First, different watersheds. Cedar River has no impact on the Iowa river.
Second, this really didn't need to get distorted into a rivalry topic.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Many downtown businesses are beginning flood prep and will be evacuated by Sunday. Not good.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
First, different watersheds. Cedar River has no impact on the Iowa river.
Second, this really didn't need to get distorted into a rivalry topic.

But the Iowa river is flooding up here. They run very close to each other. In fact, tributaries of the cedar run within a mile of the Iowa river, so how can they be different watersheds.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Judoka

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
But the Iowa river is flooding up here. They run very close to each other. In fact, tributaries of the cedar run within a mile of the Iowa river, so how can they be different watersheds.
The Iowa River starts west of Clear Lake and doesn't run into the Cedar River until Columbus Junction. The Cedar River took on a bunch of the 11 inch rain that fell in Greene and around there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Iowa River starts west of Clear Lake and doesn't run into the Cedar River until Columbus Junction. The Cedar River took on a bunch of the 11 inch rain that fell in Greene and around there.

Iowa river starts at crystal lake. South of forest city it comes within 1-2 miles of the Winnebago river which dumps into the cedar. Area around the Iowa up here was more than saturated and then had 4-6 inches dropped. Not as heavy as the 10-12 in Greene, but like I said the Iowa river up here is over its banks and garner has flooded out parking lots. I don't know about the rest but the northern part is sending plenty south.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Iowa river starts at crystal lake. South of forest city it comes within 1-2 miles of the Winnebago river which dumps into the cedar. Area around the Iowa up here was more than saturated and then had 4-6 inches dropped. Not as heavy as the 10-12 in Greene, but like I said the Iowa river up here is over its banks and garner has flooded out parking lots. I don't know about the rest but the northern part is sending plenty south.

There is also a reservoir just north of Iowa City to mitigate that kind of stiff.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I sandbagged Mercy in 08' an it was at my shoulders when we were doing that, it was truly unbelievable. Hope we stay dry.

I work at Mercy. When I started there a few years ago, multiple stories from that 2008 flood were used in orientation to show the community and teamwork of the Mercy staff. Interesting to hear some of the history, but I'm not real excited to relive it.