KAGAVI: Enhancing ISU brand w/ Trice, uniforms & more.

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006
My cousin works for Leerfield on the ISU account. He told me that Leerfield expects the ISU brand to surpass the Iowa brand in the near future on a national basis. I have no doubt that projection will take a step back with the loss of Hoiberg, but the fact remains that the powers to be are doing something right. All the expert opinions on this board really don't mean a damned thing. The guys in charge are doing something right.

Gotta say, as long as Capt Kirk is at the helm in IC and making noise every few years in the old BCS- or doorstep of the playoffs... I don't see that happening. We've made great strides in MBB, but FB still rules the day. And it didn't help either that iowa MBB was top 5 a decent chunk of the season and a national story.... well twice a national story :)pwink:)

Pains me to say, but that tigerhawk logo carries a lot of cache around the country. Probably because they've (mostly) stuck with it for 40 years and we seem to change every 5-10.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Gotta say, as long as Capt Kirk is at the helm in IC and making noise every few years in the old BCS- or doorstep of the playoffs... I don't see that happening. We've made great strides in MBB, but FB still rules the day. And it didn't help either that iowa MBB was top 5 a decent chunk of the season and a national story.... well twice a national story :)pwink:)

Pains me to say, but that tigerhawk logo carries a lot of cache around the country. Probably because they've (mostly) stuck with it for 40 years and we seem to change every 5-10.

He said brand not logo. If you think brand is just a logo then you've already done got stupid.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Not big on those jerseys but I like the thinking behind the marks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• _.jpg
    _.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 943

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You are probably all in trouble with the ISU licensing gestapo.

Look for a cease and desist from them soon.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have a bird in the blender that I drew when I was young that I got signed by Troy Davis and is framed now on my wall.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Great job Kagavi -

Reading your link, only thing I would say is how much I despise that mascot logo. Hate that thing. If we're rolling back to the tornado logo, let's get back to the old kicking Cy as well.

130-1037842-1.jpg

And I'll toss in for good measure my "wtf is the obsession with white helmets on this site"?

Best. Logo. Ever.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Oh my, where to start? Kagavi has done it again. I'm not really a design guy, but I love the idea of trying to do more with our nickname.

Snow Cyclones. Using our original gray color. Chevrons. Gold 37 yard line. Mind-blown.

Any ideas for something to replace the "bird in a blender" that brings the nickname and mascot together in a single logo?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Totally disagree with you. I-State logo is solid. Nationally recognized and shouldn't EVER go away. It should be the main mark for Iowa State University.

Walking Cy and 80s Tornado logos should be "secondary logos."

What are you going to do to improve our national brand?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Kagavi is right. There needs to be more done to acknowledge the history on the ISU campus, not just sports. A centralized museum maybe. And they definitely need a ring of honor or something for the football stadium where they retire a jersey, not a number except for the first two guys. The first honorees need to be Jack Trice and Troy Davis and nobody should be able to wear 37 or 28 again. A few years later they can add Tracy Henderson, Matt Blair and George Amundson.

Others to consider: Ed Bock (only player other than Davis in the NCAA hall of fame), Dwight Nichols

I was shocked a few years ago to find that Ed Bock was the only player at that time to be in the College Football Hall of Fame. This raises a few questions:

1. Why isn't there any sort of tribute on campus to Ed Bock? All I can find is a simple listing in the new display in the Jacobsen Building.

2. Who is the next Iowa State player for whom we should be campaigning? And will the school lead the charge? I could see Matt Campbell taking this on.

3. Where are the references to Kagavi's research in institutional documents, websites, displays, etc.? I've been eating up his stuff for years, but I never seem to see any reference to it in official athletic history pieces.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Really like it. The best uniforms they've worn in recent years were the throwbacks. This a nice mix of that with modern flare.

It would also be a 'look' that at least doesn't make me feel like I'm watching a smaller, slower version of USC.

It's unfortunate that it's 2016 and ISU doesn't have a distinguished style/look.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Now that Kagavi has started us thinking about the design for the north endzone, how about moving the tornado simulator from Howe Hall? Or get a donor to give us a new one with transparent walls that could be used in the new north endzone? Talk about linking our distinctive academics with athletics!