KAGAVI: Enhancing ISU brand w/ Trice, uniforms & more.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Hi everyone--

Haven't posted on here for some time, but last week and this week I've unveiled two stories that ask Iowa State to consider doing more with Jack Trice's legacy among other things. (I think the other uniform thread has run its course as well.) Coach Matt Campbell has brought a new vision and energy to the football program, so perhaps the time is right.

Let's discuss!

Adding Jack Trice to the Iowa State brand

attachment.php

Attachments

• CgAmddmUkAAphwh.jpg
    CgAmddmUkAAphwh.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,440

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Count me in the group that loves the old tornado/cyclone logo. I wish it would make a comeback. As for the unis, I think they look sharp.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Just curious if you have shared with Campbell and Pollard? I love that the staff is embracing the storm concept. Let's bring the cyclone logo back.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm ok with keeping the I State logo as the main one, possibly with some tweaks, but I definitely would like to see the "Modern Cyclone" used as an alternate and on a LOT more merchandise. It just works, regardless of it's place in ISU history.

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006
Great job Kagavi -

Reading your link, only thing I would say is how much I despise that mascot logo. Hate that thing. If we're rolling back to the tornado logo, let's get back to the old kicking Cy as well.

130-1037842-1.jpg

And I'll toss in for good measure my "wtf is the obsession with white helmets on this site"?

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If there was a way to update the tornado/cyclone, I might support bringing it back. But that thing just looks so outdated, even when it was new. The eye of the storm symbol used behind the current Cy logo is good, but just a bit too muted for anyone to notice it. But overall, I love the I-State logo and it has some broad recognition across the country. Don't screw it up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cyclone Outer.jpg
    Cyclone Outer.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,750
Last edited:

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I'm going to continue living with my rose(cardinal)-colored glasses firmly on, and believe that you, Kagavi, have already been officially contracted to re-design the university's athletic brand, and this article/post is step 1 of a grassroots approach to garner support from the most loyal corners of the Iowa State fan base.

The "Cyclone/Tornado" logo has always been my personal favorite. Yes, this favoritism is heavily rooted in nostalgia for me (childhood apparel designs, tailgate decor still used today, wall posters, it's even what I scribbled on every notebook in school), but for everything Kagavi has wonderfully detailed in his article, that logo's simplicity is attractive and quick to recognize, and it's arguably the most distinguishable mark we have in our school's history when comparing to other collegiate logos - apart from "Walking Cy" which is not well-suited for use on athletic uniforms.

Excellent work. I'm on board. #AStormIsBrewing

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
This is the first time that I've really liked the tornado on the helmets. Nice work! I LOVE the I State logo for apparel, but would love to see the tornado back in our uniforms.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hell yes. Those are uniforms with a meaning that everyone should get behind. I love the tornado (we're the cyclones right?) but would also accept the I-State logo in it's place on those uniforms if absolutely necessary.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not really seeing the connection with Jack Trice in this uniform design. The chevron in the middle of the chest under the numbers doesn't really do anything. I read the article and it's a good read but i'm just not seeing the connection here. No one will ever make the connection of the Trice Chevron Stripe that you created. It doesn't feel like there's any actual merge of the Trice era uniforms and the 1970s uniforms besides the helmet stripe which is not a unique thing. The uniform actually makes me thing of Charlie Browns yellow shirt and we all know what happens when he tries to kick the football.

I do agree that we need a nickname or secondary logo. I love the walking Cy and the 80s era cyclone you have on the pants. I would love to see those incorporated into the helmets someday.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
My cousin works for Leerfield on the ISU account. He told me that Leerfield expects the ISU brand to surpass the Iowa brand in the near future on a national basis. I have no doubt that projection will take a step back with the loss of Hoiberg, but the fact remains that the powers to be are doing something right. All the expert opinions on this board really don't mean a damned thing. The guys in charge are doing something right.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
love it. I-state logo is trash.

Totally disagree with you. I-State logo is solid. Nationally recognized and shouldn't EVER go away. It should be the main mark for Iowa State University.

Walking Cy and 80s Tornado logos should be "secondary logos."

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm going to continue living with my rose(cardinal)-colored glasses firmly on, and believe that you, Kagavi, have already been officially contracted to re-design the university's athletic brand, and this article/post is step 1 of a grassroots approach to garner support from the most loyal corners of the Iowa State fan base.

The "Cyclone/Tornado" logo has always been my personal favorite. Yes, this favoritism is heavily rooted in nostalgia for me (childhood apparel designs, tailgate decor still used today, wall posters, it's even what I scribbled on every notebook in school), but for everything Kagavi has wonderfully detailed in his article, that logo's simplicity is attractive and quick to recognize, and it's arguably the most distinguishable mark we have in our school's history when comparing to other collegiate logos - apart from "Walking Cy" which is not well-suited for use on athletic uniforms.

Excellent work. I'm on board. #AStormIsBrewing

I'm going to buy into your conspiracy theory and not waste a chance to voice an opinion. Bring back the tornado logo now!

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Kagavi is right. There needs to be more done to acknowledge the history on the ISU campus, not just sports. A centralized museum maybe. And they definitely need a ring of honor or something for the football stadium where they retire a jersey, not a number except for the first two guys. The first honorees need to be Jack Trice and Troy Davis and nobody should be able to wear 37 or 28 again. A few years later they can add Tracy Henderson, Matt Blair and George Amundson.

Others to consider: Ed Bock (only player other than Davis in the NCAA hall of fame), Dwight Nichols

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron