Behind Enemy Lines: Big 12

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
McKay gets the benefit of the doubt going forward, from me, but that doesn't mean I don't believe that he wasn't a piece of work last year. I have a VERY good source that claims he required a "babysitter" last year. Nothing has been posted or said to make me doubt that for a second.

McKay being allowed to not practice and be babied could have also let to BDJ's outbursts. Afterall BDJ practiced and was replaced in the starting lineup by someone who was allowed not to practice. I know If I were in BDJ's shoes and that happened I would be ******.

reaCY

Mar 21, 2014
Fred Hoiberg & Wayne Morgan > Steve Prohm & Greg McDoormat

If it takes the "inmates running the asylum" to play exciting winning post season making teams I don't care what you say that is the way to go...you all know the old adage that winning is 90% talent and 10% coaching. Good thing Prohm's contract is cheap but I'm not sure that the curmudgeons here can handle the right type of coach to win in today's college basketball. This isn't freaking Hoosiers anymore fellas.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Here's what I take from this about the McKay situation.

I would like to know if the supposed sitting out last year was because he was tired, sore, etc that would affect his play. I kind of got the feeling that was what they were talking about. I don't think it was Fred let McKay stay home and play 2K all day. Now with this year, while I don't think it is exactly the same situation, I feel some similarities to Wesley Johnson. There needs to be a balance between holding people responsible and getting the best out of them.

Now I'm not saying one way or the other is the right way to handle it and we still don't know the whole story I am getting more frustrated the more comes out. Prohm was hired to succeed with this team. He hasn't really so far at least not to the standards we expected. I'm not going to give him long term heat for this, but it is going to put some added pressure for him to succeed with his own guys at least from me.

EatemupISU

Oct 19, 2006
Ankeny

If it takes the "inmates running the asylum" to play exciting winning post season making teams I don't care what you say that is the way to go...you all know the old adage that winning is 90% talent and 10% coaching. Good thing Prohm's contract is cheap but I'm not sure that the curmudgeons here can handle the right type of coach to win in today's college basketball. This isn't freaking Hoosiers anymore fellas.

It is sickening how many people are killing Prohm for this season and writing off the future. I'm ashamed of our fan base right now. Our best team ever (2000) came from a coach who was a complete hard-*** but got his guys to play like warriors. I think Steve has a chance to be in-between Fred and Larry and both styles can win.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

How do we know this yet?

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Only a few more games to go. Jameel, George, and Nader gone. Maybe Monte as well. Won't be much to "rehash" after that......except Hoiberg.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I like the Niang can't pass line... I don't think this coach is too smart. Probably from TCU.
You can tell McKay has a low pain tolerance and is moody. I wouldn't be surprised if he is always complaining about something hurting or not feeling well etc and Fred let him sit out. Fred ran this place like and NBA team.
I think Prohm's mistake was not coming in right away and demanding things be done his way. I think he is partially to blame for what happened with the suspensions bc it sends a mixed message to at first not change anything and then when you lose a couple say " ok now it's my way or the highway" as a player I know it would annoy me.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

And everyone else on here > you

Reactions: LindenCy

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I like the Niang can't pass line... I don't think this coach is too smart. Probably from TCU.
You can tell McKay has a low pain tolerance and is moody. I wouldn't be surprised if he is always complaining about something hurting or not feeling well etc and Fred let him sit out. Fred ran this place like and NBA team.
I think Prohm's mistake was not coming in right away and demanding things be done his way. I think he is partially to blame for what happened with the suspensions bc it sends a mixed message to at first not change anything and then when you lose a couple say " ok now it's my way or the highway" as a player I know it would annoy me.

Did you even read it? He said Georges was a great passer but not as much when he's on the move. That's dead on. Last season, we depended on him driving from the top of the key way too much, which led to out of control passes. This season, he's back to operating in the post, where he's almost unstoppable.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
Does McKay think he can get to the NBA without practicing? What a ******* ***** *** *****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Steve banged your GF...we get it.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
This is just another confirmation about the drama queen that is (hopefully WAS) Jameel McKay. Having said that, it seems like McKay is buying back in, which is good because we need his old self back.

I have no doubt in my mind that Fred let the inmates run the asylum from time to time. It can be good or bad, depending on how a coach oversees it, and I think Fred was pretty good at that. He seemed to get the most out of his players (except for defense last year). Prohm obviously doesn't want the inmates running it, which is fine, he just needs to manage the situation delicately until he is in complete control (which I think he is now).

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Did you even read it? He said Georges was a great passer but not as much when he's on the move. That's dead on. Last season, we depended on him driving from the top of the key way too much, which led to out of control passes. This season, he's back to operating in the post, where he's almost unstoppable.

i read that wrong. But now he is wrong because he said if he drives you have to make him a finisher instead of a passer. And you are wrong. His game isn't any different this year.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
what long term consequences? What makes you think it wouldn't have worked again this year?

It's not the way I'd handle things if I was a coach either, but criticizing Hoiberg's handling that, so far, got 10x the production out of McKay is crazy.

I think it's inevitable that we would pay a price for the lack of discipline in the program. We're partially paying that price now with McKay having to repeatedly sit out.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
i read that wrong. But now he is wrong because he said if he drives you have to make him a finisher instead of a passer. And you are wrong. His game isn't any different this year.

We are isolating Niang on the wing/in the post way more than last season. It's basically our entire offense. He was more of a point forward last season, where he would bring the ball up occasionally and initiate the offense from the top. Now Monte is bringing the ball up every possession.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Can people not say "letting the inmates run the asylum". It's not like we have a whole bunch of lunatics on the team. They are really pretty good guys and this implies we have some really bad actors which led to chaos when the opposite was true. How many times did kids get in trouble or become problems under Hoiberg? Also, it seems our guys also did pretty well in the classroom under Hoiberg as well. Just because he ran things differently doesn't mean it was bad. If the players were running things he would not have had the success he had