ISU Offense

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Just heard Tommy B on Murph & Andy 1460 where as he mentioned our offense is sub par for team in Power 5 conference, which made me think how do we compare to that team in E. IA, I also put in each team's first 7 games opp and their AP rank as of this week. Not disagreeing with Tommy B, just saying strength of schedule might have something to say about this. Yes I'm on board with playing every team and will accept we have to be able to coach for this league while attracting players who can play also. I'll also say I expected us to come out 5-0 with a minimum of 4-1. Need to play complete game on Offense and hopefully we see that these last few games, ok have to go drink more playoff Kool-Aid!

I was going to title this ISU vs. IA Offenses but to keep trolls at bay, numbers below from ESPN weekly stats, fyi.
ISU
IA
Games
7 (2-5)
7 (7-0)
Rushing Yards
Rushes
Ave Rush/Att
Passing Yards
Pass Completed
Ave Pass Yards/Complete
Pass (Att-Complete-Int-TD)
241-147-8-12
191-117-3-9
Total Yards
Ave Yards P/Game
AP Poll this week
ISU vs Opp
IA vs. Opp
UNI
IL State
IA (10)
ISU
Toledo (20)
Pitt (23)
KS
N. TX
TTU
WI
TCU (5)
IL
Baylor (2)
NW

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
While we've played a tougher schedule thus far, Iowa has played better defenses. The gap isn't huge, but it's significant.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Short of scoring, all of our other offensive stats are fine.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Iowa doesn't have better players on offense than ISU does. They just have an identity and system in place. We don't.

Hopefully the Lanning, power spread offense, is our identity going forward and we can use the talent we have.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I honestly wished we ran the same type of offense Stanford ran. I understand high scoring game are more fun to watch, but we won't be able to play that way at Iowa State.

I understand we don't have the players to run it right now, but how about we go after stanford's OC and their O line coach. I bet we can recruit some Iowa farm boys and beef them up to be huge line men.
attachment.php

We can slow down the baylors and TCU of the world and make them play the game our way. Low scoring and make sure we have the ball last.

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,800
Last edited:

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
I honestly wished we ran the same type of offense Stanford ran. I understand high scoring game are more fun to watch, but we won't be able to play that way at Iowa State.

I understand we don't have the players to run it right now, but how about we go after stanford's OC and their O line coach. I bet we can recruit some Iowa farm boys and beef them up to be huge line men.
attachment.php

We can slow down the baylors and TCU of the world and make them play the game our way. Low scoring and make sure we have the ball last.
I think we should do more of a KSU offense.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Yep, those numbers would be ok in the Big ten west, but not in the Big 12. Too many good offenses in the Big12 and average to poor defense.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Thats great, but Iowa is still scoring a TD more a game on average, not to mention their D is pretty good.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I bet Iowa's scoring average is better and Turnovers are way lower. Turnovers are huge.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Thats great, but Iowa is still scoring a TD more a game on average, not to mention their D is pretty good.

Yep. The main problem we've had on offense has been 3rd down conversions and red zone conversions. Unfortunately, yardage is meaningless without the points.

However, in the last 3 games we've got a TD on 8 of 10 possessions that reached the red zone, which is a good conversion rate. 3rd down conversion has been abysmal though (13-43)

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Yep. The main problem we've had on offense has been 3rd down conversions and red zone conversions. Unfortunately, yardage is meaningless without the points.

However, in the last 3 games we've got a TD on 8 of 10 possessions that reached the red zone, which is a good conversion rate. 3rd down conversion has been abysmal though (13-43)

That is directly tied to the QB. We were actually one of the better 3rd down teams in the conference last season if I remember correctly. SR was also more willing to scramble and improvise last season, whereas this season, he's been content to sit in the pocket, stare at a receiver and throw up trash or get sacked.

TNT

Oct 4, 2015
That is directly tied to the QB. We were actually one of the better 3rd down teams in the conference last season if I remember correctly. SR was also more willing to scramble and improvise last season, whereas this season, he's been content to sit in the pocket, stare at a receiver and throw up trash or get sacked.

This.

We are a QB away from being a solid team. You trolls just stay away, because it is true.

I think we have more starting talent than Iowa, but when your QB cant convert 1st downs, takes sacks, and turns it over, then yeah - Iowa has a better team. QB is like a pitcher in baseball. If the pitcher gives up a HR, then the fielders were never given the opportunity to make a play...QB in football is the same thing if he ends up taking a sack/or AIRMAILS it 10 ft. over a WR's head!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
While we've played a tougher schedule thus far, Iowa has played better defenses. The gap isn't huge, but it's significant.

Over all Iowa has played better defenses, but they also had a ton of yards and points against the not so mean green. They were the far side of horrible.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas

I agree with you. It's unfortunate that Richardson has been coached to not run and stay in the pocket versus his style last year. He just has not been good at being patient and decisive. It's not who he is as a player. I do however, think that this is really the crux of the wedge between Mangino and Rhoads. I think Rhoads wants more QB runs AND also didn't have an issue with Richardson scrambling and improvising for yards if he couldn't get the ball to an open receiver.

Hopefully the change to Lanning and Sturdy will improve the offense, because it just wasn't working with the way Mangino was trying to make Richardson play.