Is Kinnick too big of a stadium for Iowa or do Iowa fans just really suck?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
its just funny that i have to interact with literally hundreds of hawks every week yet none of this applies.
At the games? We know Iowa's game attendance sucks for being undefeated but I think you are selling yourselves short by saying hundreds.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think this is a big part of it. Tailgating in Iowa City used to be cool but now it sucks

Maybe. I understand the land that ISU has is a feather in our cap for boasting how good we have it but I've tailgated quite a few times there and it never blew me away. The only thing I thought/still think is cool is that you can buy some food/shirts around the Melrose area.

I've been to just over 10 Power 5 schools to tailgate and Iowa is not in the upper half. I'm not saying this because this is an ISU board, I'm saying this because I really think that. Tailgating at Finkbine or a parking ramp isn't that great to me.

edit: the bar scene is great though. With the way the girls dress, I'd be afraid to send my daughter to school there.

hawxrox09

Sep 2, 2010
Maybe. I understand the land that ISU has is a feather in our cap for boasting how good we have it but I've tailgated quite a few times there and it never blew me away. The only thing I thought/still think is cool is that you can buy some food/shirts around the Melrose area.

I've been to just over 10 Power 5 schools to tailgate and Iowa is not in the upper half. I'm not saying this because this is an ISU board, I'm saying this because I really think that. Tailgating at Finkbine or a parking ramp isn't that great to me.

edit: the bar scene is great though. With the way the girls dress, I'd be afraid to send my daughter to school there.

If you tailgated at finkbine or a parking ramp you chose two of the worst places possible.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I amazed at the amount of "die-hard" fans that have all of a sudden come out of the woodwork on facebook, yet are unable to name a player not named Tim Dwight.

I am also amazed at the number of "die-hard" neighbors that I see out mowing the lawn, cleaning their garage or walking their dog during Iowa football games.

Been that way for a loooooooooooong time.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
They should have groupon sale for $10 tickets like ISU does!

Not many fans would compare the #12 7-0 team in the country to a 2-4 dumpster fire but I'm not surprised to learn that Iowa fans think the attendance at Kinnick and Jack Trice should be on the same plane.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
I've tailgated at fieldhouse parking lot and at Olive Ct. but I don't think either of those places exist any longer.

Both still very much exist. I park in the fieldhouse lot, actually a multi-story parking ramp, and then walk over to Olive Ct to actually tailgate.

I live in Iowa City, so when ISU has away games I get my tailgate fix in Iowa City. Is it better/worse than Ames? I'm going to choose Ames, but I can't remove my own bias. It's a different kind of tailgating. I've been to Ames, Iowa City, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, and Illinois. In my mind, Penn State is far and away the best, Ames is second. Iowa City is better than Maryland and Illinois. Sally Mason has done her part, but it's just plain different than what ISU fans are used to.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
I think this is a big part of it. Tailgating in Iowa City used to be cool but now it sucks

It's a combination of this (depressed tailgating) and 5 years of mediocre results. It takes time to turn around perception when people have made the decision to not buy tickets. If Iowa finishes strong, there will be a significant uptick next year with a senior returning QB and all of the returning starters Iowa will have potentially. The 2016 home schedule is also much better for getting fans in. Iowa State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska all come to Iowa City next year.

Home crowd will be very good for Minnesota and if team is still undefeated when Purdue comes in that game will be a sellout or close to it.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

Hate to break it to you, but girls dress like that everywhere.