Is Kinnick too big of a stadium for Iowa or do Iowa fans just really suck?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm sorry but if you think girls only dress slutty in IC then you're either extremely naive or extremely biased.

I never said slutty but since you want to put words in my mouth feel free to answer my question.
Myself, I've been to: ISU, Iowa, Wisconsin, MN, Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, TCU, Texas, A&M, Kansas, Notre Dame.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Can't sell out a stadium for a top 20 undefeated team. Which is it? Too many seats to fill or too many band wagon t-shirt fans that haven't returned yet?

I'm seeing this a lot in Chicago also. Butthurt Sox fans needling Cubs fans because they are down in the playoffs.
Sox fans look just as stupid as you do right now.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
But here's another that recognizes Iowa tailgating...

And another...

And another...

And another...

Haven't seen anything on Ames yet though.

Generally garbage teams won't show up on "best lists," regardless if they meet the criteria or not. They'll do a "best of" the popular ones.

The first link was a joke listing Chicago and proves my point. I'm a Bears fan and their tailgating sucks. We were amazed there were very little partying going on before/after the game. Most of the crowd arrives via the train, go to game, leave game by the train. I was very disappointed in their atmosphere.

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
Iowa tailgating is a spread out mess. It's a lot of fun if you know someone with a place to go, but it would suck to just show up there as a visiting fan.

Exactly. Tailgating in Iowa City isn't friendly to a visiting fan. If you are an Iowa fan, or an Iowa State fan every other year, the experience is totally unique so long as you're not out in the Finkbine lot.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I never said slutty but since you want to put words in my mouth feel free to answer my question.
Myself, I've been to: ISU, Iowa, Wisconsin, MN, Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, TCU, Texas, A&M, Kansas, Notre Dame.

Sorry I suppose I just assumed that's what you meant when you said "wouldn't want my daughter to go there" and I'm not really sure what else you could've meant but whatever.

And yes, if we were in a university-visiting **** measuring contest, you would win. I've been to the public universities in Iowa, Mankato State, and Notre Dame. Congratulations?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sorry I suppose I just assumed that's what you meant when you said "wouldn't want my daughter to go there" and I'm not really sure what else you could've meant but whatever.

And yes, if we were in a university-visiting **** measuring contest, you would win. I've been to the public universities in Iowa, Mankato State, and Notre Dame. Congratulations?

In my opinion (and I've lived in Iowa City and Ames), the college girls in Iowa City have more financial backing from their parents and have a lot more disposable income than girls at other Universities. From clothes to bars to cars, there is a lot of money there.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If the roles were reversed, Iowa fans would definitely be mocking ISU so we Iowa fans deserve being laughed at for this. It baffles me to be honest.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If the roles were reversed, Iowa fans would definitely be mocking ISU so we Iowa fans deserve being laughed at for this. It baffles me to be honest.

As someone noted earlier it takes more than 7 games to get the tavernhoks back on board and spending their hard earned riverbarge work paychecks on Iowa football. they're in "buying new Wal-Mart hat to go along with their Illini sweatshirt" phase right now. Maybe next year they'll be back to the stadium.

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I don't understand it, weak or strong schedule Iowa should be selling out until they lose. Cherish being 7-0 brother. What I would do for ISU to be 7-0 right now..

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't understand it, weak or strong schedule Iowa should be selling out until they lose. Cherish being 7-0 brother. What I would do for ISU to be 7-0 right now..

And not just at Kinnick but the Iowa fans I've talked to won't/don't want to go to Tampa or Jacksonville. They are really hoping the worst case is Rose Bowl or Holiday Bowl in California.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Tailgating in Iowa City sucks if you don't know anyone. If you know someone with a house close to the stadium it is pretty fun. So for most visiting fans, it sucks.

Cupcake schedule = lack of fans. If they had Wiscy, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State at home they would sell out.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Tailgating in Iowa City sucks if you don't know anyone. If you know someone with a house close to the stadium it is pretty fun. So for most visiting fans, it sucks.

Cupcake schedule = lack of fans. If they had ISU, Wiscy, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State at home they would sell out.

Added one.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

Cupcake schedule = lack of fans. If they had Wiscy, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State at home they would sell out.

they are 7-0. At this point there should be 70,000 fans willing to watch them play whoever.

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014

False, ive gone up to countless random tailgates over the years with buddies, and have been welcomed in every time. Weve done the same, even with opposing fans. Sorry not every single hawk fan rolls out a red carpet for every clone fan that comes to town.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
False, ive gone up to countless random tailgates over the years with buddies, and have been welcomed in every time. Weve done the same, even with opposing fans. Sorry not every single hawk fan rolls out a red carpet for every clone fan that comes to town.

Kind of what I was thinking. If you're socially challenged, so be it, and it's nothing to mock. But I've tailgated in yard parties in Melrose Heights and just off of Melrose where we didn't really know the people paying for the yard, at private parties at apartment complexes, stops along Melrose Ave., in Finkbine, in the lot right outside of Kinnick, and most of the time had great times with fans of the opposing team. If you need to know everyone in order to approach a good time at a tailgate, so be it. But I love all the different scenes you find at Iowa tailgating. And nearly every time we've had fun with fans of the opposing team who are chill and don't take ***** too seriously.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
When I was in college it seemed like people in Iowa City got more dressed up to party than other places. That was 10 years ago though.

The last few times I've been in Ames, or any other college town, it seemed like everyone was dressed up that way. There was a difference back in the day, but I think that day is passed. I haven't seen anything in Iowa City that I didn't see in my last few road trips (Lawrence, Manhattan, Morgantown, Stillwater) or in Ames in the past couple of years.