REFUTED: Travis Hines: A look into the ISU BBall program and the Athletic Dept

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Maybe so but Micha Byers was Director of Basketball Operations and he is incharge of team travel. Each sport is allocated a budget and it is up to the coaches to determine how to spend that money. So even if it was wrong to not pay for the hotel rooms for 3 hours, your anger should be at the person who made the decision. The AD had nothing to do with the decision.

EXACTLY.

But instead the example was used to push a rift between Hoiberg and Pollard. That's bad reporting. There may have been something to that but when you use multiple examples that are easily explained, it should make people doubt your credibility.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Exactly. We could have covered the tax just like Google does so no one ever sees it or gets a mysterious 1099 in the mail at tax time. This is exactly the point of all of this and when Hines made the point on the radio that the common theme was "nickel and diming" this is what he was talking about.

wow. you are really reaching now.

1. This is common practice

2. They don't get a mysterious 1099, it gets included in their W-2 wages. once again common practice for fringe benefits

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Don't forget # of employees ISU has to cover = # of employees Google has to cover. Solid perspective there.

I get a car allowance at my job, and guess what, I have to pay taxes on that benefit.

If you think this is a story, then put in a little frigging effort, and call some other schools to see if they pay the taxes on the behalf of their coaching staff. If ISU is one of the only schools that does not, then maybe it is worth drumming up a story. Or, do no fact checking and just run some whiny complaints by a former staffer and try to blow it up to a reason that CFH left ISU.

Lord, some of these posts are getting borderline ridiculous.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I completely agree with this. JP put us in a great great situation with stadium/facility upgrades around Iowa State, but we need a new AD to take us to the next level on the field.

That's the coaches responsibility, not the ADs. The AD can make it easier/harder, but hoping to "the next level" is all on the coach.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Hines wrote a sensationalized article based on nothing but hearsay from un-named sources, who were most likely former (possibly disgruntled) former employees. An article that has now been largely debunked on some of the key points by the two primary subjects of the article, who Hines for whatever reason did not bother to quote in the article, or even attempt to present what might be their side of the story.

The story now boils down to that the head coach may have had a disagreement with the AD during or after his salary negotiations, and a disagreement with how that salary was portrayed by the AD to the fan base and others. I'm sure that a problem like that only exists at ISU and has NEVER happened at another university, so of course it is newsworthy to a writer in Ames, Iowa who does not even work for a paper that is significant enough to publish a daily rag.

Yet, many on here are still trying to portray Hines as some sort of Ames, Iowa Woodstein.......even though it has been shown that most of the article was sensationalized b.s.- and again......from un-named sources who don't have the nerve to attach their name to their claims.

Last edited:

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Hines wrote a sensationalized article based on nothing but hearsay from un-named sources, who were most likely former (possibly disgruntled) former employees. An article that has now been largely debunked on some of the key points by the two primary subjects of the article, who Hines for whatever reason did not bother to quote in the article, or even attempt to present what might be their side of the story.

The story now boils down to that the head coach may have had a disagreement with the AD during or after his salary negotiations, and a disagreement with how that salary was portrayed by the AD to the fan base and others. I'm sure that a problem like that only exists at ISU and has NEVER happened at another university, so of course it is newsworthy to a writer in Ames, Iowa who does not even work for a paper that is significant to publish a daily rag.

Yet, many on here are still trying to portray Hines as some sort of Ames, Iowa Woodstein.......even though it has been shown that most of the article was sensationalized b.s.- and again......from un-named sources who don't have the nerve to attach their name to their claims.

I see what you did there. :eek:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

The story now boils down to that the head coach may have had a disagreement with the AD during or after his salary negotiations, and a disagreement with how that salary was portrayed by the AD to the fan base and others. I'm sure that a problem like that only exists at ISU and has NEVER happened at another university, so of course it is newsworthy to a writer in Ames, Iowa who does not even work for a paper that is significant to publish a daily rag.

Was this on purpose? If so, nice.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I find it disturbing that Hoiberg was apparently willing to be quoted in the article as saying it was BS, but Hines doesn't include that.
If that's true I agree. I think this is where it could get interesting. That is the piece that if inaccurate I would expect TH and the Tribune to fire back on. It would not suprise me for JP to take it a bit farther than what was actually claimed to him by FH. I bet that is what the Tribune is discussing. Do they just cut their losses or fire back or was it true in which case they fire TH. That would be a fireable offense. That is the part I find most intriguing at this point.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

This is what I don't understand. Hines chose the Hawaii ballroom story as the lead example of nickel and diming but that is so easily explainable, it makes no sense. Also the ticket things.

But those are so minor. Why not focus on the contract extension issue? That makes much more sense. Instead its "Fred wanted more money. The AD didn't really want to give it to him." Isn't that common place in 99% of workplaces?

It seems like Hines got wind of some disagreement within the AD (which I'm sure is partially true) but the examples he chose to use to back up his story were really bad.

So much of this doesn't make sense. The only thing I can think of that would make some sense is if Fred was feeding Hines some of this information off the record as a source but told Hines he would have to publicly deny it. But what is Hoiberg's motive to do that at his point?

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
This is what I don't understand. Hines chose the Hawaii ballroom story as the lead example of nickel and diming but that is so easily explainable, it makes no sense. Also the ticket things.

But those are so minor. Why not focus on the contract extension issue? That makes much more sense. Instead its "Fred wanted more money. The AD didn't really want to give it to him." Isn't that common place in 99% of workplaces?

It seems like Hines got wind of some disagreement within the AD (which I'm sure is partially true) but the examples he chose to use to back up his story were really bad.

So much of this doesn't make sense. The only thing I can think of that would make some sense is if Fred was feeding Hines some of this information off the record as a source but told Hines he would have to publicly deny it. But what is Hoiberg's motive to do that at his point?

His house hasn't sold yet and he wants to bring national attention to the area?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It is hilarious that people are so critical of unnamed sources when the don't like an article but are ok with it other times. If it wasn't for unnamed sources there would be a lot less news articles.
Also funny people think it was a story sensationalized.
Hines basically says in there he doesn't know if any of it had a part in Fred leaving and also stated that Pollard and Fred maintained a good working relationship.
Doesn't mean he enjoyed working for him. Fred is a professional.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Exactly. We could have covered the tax just like Google does so no one ever sees it or gets a mysterious 1099 in the mail at tax time. This is exactly the point of all of this and when Hines made the point on the radio that the common theme was "nickel and diming" this is what he was talking about.

No we CAN'T just "cover the tax". It's the IRS. They received a taxable benefit and there is no way NOT to report it as such. Unless your point is everyone should be been given an annual raise equal to the numerous tax impacts but they would STILL be taxed on the tickets.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

What is there to explain? Hines isn't trying to say that it's unexplainable. It's obvious that it 1) ****** somebody off and 2) made a good headline. I feel like I've living in the pre-internet ages in this thread. The shock and outrage is hilarious. PC Brah.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If that's true I agree. I think this is where it could get interesting. That is the piece that if inaccurate I would expect TH and the Tribune to fire back on. It would not suprise me for JP to take it a bit farther than what was actually claimed to him by FH. I bet that is what the Tribune is discussing. Do they just cut their losses or fire back or was it true in which case they fire TH. That would be a fireable offense. That is the part I find most intriguing at this point.

Hoiberg wasn't willing to be quoted as saying it's BS.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
wow. you are really reaching now.

1. This is common practice

2. They don't get a mysterious 1099, it gets included in their W-2 wages. once again common practice for fringe benefits
Look at the bean counter sticking up for the bean counter ;) kidding aside you are right and wasn't trying to imply otherwise. Pollard made it sound like they began taxing recently so am assuming it is when the IRS tightened their rules. I was only implying that I can understand that some employees may not understand this. I mean if an employer paid it then they would have to count that as taxable income too right? I think Google pays for theirs because it is impossible to assess to the individual otherwise it should be paid by the individual (but you are the expert here).

silvercybone

Jul 6, 2010
Well than Pollard is miscoving the facts. One of them is.

Possible, or Fred said I don't want to be quoted in this article because it's false, so this is off the record. Fred didn't comment one way or another on it, and Murphy didn't think to ask apparently.