REFUTED: Travis Hines: A look into the ISU BBall program and the Athletic Dept

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I have a hard time believing a multi million dollar organization ran by rich people with giant egos being very defensive about a fake story doesn't have something to hide.

I'm sure they have things they'd rather not have people know too. Just like every single other organization out there. I'm also sure that whatever they're "hiding" is nothing close to what the article suggests. If everybody has the impression that everything is peaches and cream you're better off.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
In a way I agree it's kind of lame to ask for money but not want to accept the ramifications of it, but on the other hand, if I asked for, and got, a raise I felt I deserved, I'd be annoyed if I felt every time budget issues came up my boss said 'Sorry, we gave Bozo over there a big raise so we have no money'.

Just like Keith told CW. Just don't say anything. Or at the very least be a team, because it takes two to contract...or something like that.

Yeah I agree with you guys that JP could have done some things different here. I just don't think it was that big of a deal or a factor in Fred leaving.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
So what if they were in Dayton instead of Hawaii? People are completely missing the point. It's the principle of it.

:huh: What principle? You don't think Hawaii is infinitely more fun than Dayton? I'm sure most of the guys ​wished they had more time to kill.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So what if they were in Dayton instead of Hawaii? People are completely missing the point. It's the principle of it.

So what if it was the volleyball team rather than the basketball team? If it was truly about principles each of the teams would be treated roughly similarly.

By the way, be mad at Fred not Jamie. Jamie claims that he didn't have anything to do with the decision, it was made by the basketball staff.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You are still defending the hotel thing?

I'm not defending anything. I made my point clear. If other schools are providing this benefit then we need to be as well. People are making this about "spoiled brats stuck in paradise oh the humanity" when that isn't the point of what Hines wrote or what I am saying.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
But when the two people your entire article was written about immediately state that everything in the article is wrong, it makes the "unnamed" sources pretty worthless.
I disagree. The only thing that was "wrong" out right was the assistant coaches tickets. But even that lacks context. It is true that in 2013 tax year (so 2014 filing) all employers had to start taxing many office employee perks as income. Companies like Google had to pay income taxes on food provided for the office etc. as it was considered a form of compensation. Jamie said Iowa State (like all Iowa government offices and most private employers) passed that burden on to employees. So let's say you are provided 2 tickets to every home game in the lower level of Hilton. Iowa State has to assess fair market value for that perk as income to the employee and they are taxed. So come January 2014 Abdelmassih is slapped with paying income tax for the tickets he recieved for the spring and fall of 2013. Assuming he is in the 25% tax bracket and pays 6% state income tax and let's say fair market value for 2 season lower level tickets is determined to be $1000-2000 that means he had deducted around $300-600 from his pay for tickets. I am sure he and others perceived this to be Jamie being a tight *** and charging him for tickets. I know my employees thought we were for applying tax for non overnight travel meals and such. Granted he should have dug deeper.

The other stuff can be explained as just different perspectives. Fred was with his family and got to play in the pool and didn't see it as a big deal. Maybe Monte and Abdelmassih were hungover and wanted to sleep and we're ****** they had to leave their hotel room. Again should have dug deeper.

That said I don't see it as discrediting the overall sources about a bigger truth that some of the **** Jamie did erked fred. Honestly if it didn't it may be the only instance ever between an employee and employer. It is natural to have a little friction from time to time. It shouldn't have been implied that it may have been a reason for him leaving or that it was extraordinary IF Fred refuted that. But it doesn't make the sources wrong it just makes it an insignificant story.

I think it should inform is that Jamie sometimes put his foot in his mouth and is a tight *** and that the program at times felt under appreciated. Nothing more. Those are things Leath should make sure are kept in check moving forward. It is unfortunate that Travis went in deep here because it will harm his career and I think he does a great job overall.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I disagree. The only thing that was "wrong" out right was the assistant coaches tickets. But even that lacks context. It is true that in 2013 tax year (so 2014 filing) all employers had to start taxing many office employee perks as income. Companies like Google had to pay income taxes on food provided for the office etc. as it was considered a form of compensation. Jamie said Iowa State (like all Iowa government offices and most private employers) passed that burden on to employees. So let's say you are provided 2 tickets to every home game in the lower level of Hilton. Iowa State has to assess fair market value for that perk as income to the employee and they are taxed. So come January 2014 Abdelmassih is slapped with paying income tax for the tickets he recieved for the spring and fall of 2013. Assuming he is in the 25% tax bracket and pays 6% state income tax and let's say fair market value for 2 season lower level tickets is determined to be $1000-2000 that means he had deducted around $300-600 from his pay for tickets. I am sure he and others perceived this to be Jamie being a tight *** and charging him for tickets. I know my employees thought we were for applying tax for non overnight travel meals and such. Granted he should have dug deeper.
The other stuff can be explained as just different perspectives. Fred was with his family and got to play in the pool and didn't see it as a big deal. Maybe Monte and Abdelmassih were hungover and wanted to sleep and we're ****** they had to leave their hotel room. Again should have dug deeper. That said I don't see it as discrediting the overall sources about a bigger truth that some of the hit Jamie did erked fred. Honestly if it didn't it may be the only instance ever between an employee and employer. It is natural to have a little friction from time to time. It shouldn't have been implied that it may have been a reason for him leaving or that it was extraordinary IF Fred refuted that. But it doesn't make the sources wrong it just makes it a insignificant story. I think it should inform is that Jamie sometimes put his foot in his mouth and is a tight *** and that the program at times felt under appreciated. Nothing more. Those are things Leath should make sure are kept in check moving forward. It is unfortunate that Travis went in deep here because it will harm his career and I think he does a great job overall.

Exactly. We could have covered the tax just like Google does so no one ever sees it or gets a mysterious 1099 in the mail at tax time. This is exactly the point of all of this and when Hines made the point on the radio that the common theme was "nickel and diming" this is what he was talking about.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm not defending anything. I made my point clear. If other schools are providing this benefit then we need to be as well. People are making this about "spoiled brats stuck in paradise oh the humanity" when that isn't the point of what Hines wrote or what I am saying.

How do you know other schools are providing this, and if they are, how do you know they would provide this in freaking Hawaii?

Also, I can't believe you reference the "point of what Hines wrote" when it has basically been proven to have a mislead agenda.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Maybe so but Micha Byers was Director of Basketball Operations and he is incharge of team travel. Each sport is allocated a budget and it is up to the coaches to determine how to spend that money. So even if it was wrong to not pay for the hotel rooms for 3 hours, your anger should be at the person who made the decision. The AD had nothing to do with the decision.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
So what if it was the volleyball team rather than the basketball team. If it was truly about principles each of the teams would be treated roughly similarly.

By the way, be mad at Fred not Jamie. Jamie claims that he didn't have anything to do with the decision, it was made by the basketball staff.

I think this is the only thing relevant about the hotel thing. I don't care what anyone here feels about it personally. As long as it was left up to Hoiberg that's exactly how he should handle those situations.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Exactly. We could have covered the tax just like Google does so no one ever sees it or gets a mysterious 1099 in the mail at tax time. This is exactly the point of all of this and when Hines made the point on the radio that the common theme was "nickel and diming" this is what he was talking about.

Of course, because ISU Athletic Budget = Google.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I think it's funny when people take the "jealously" comment so matter-of-factly. When has an AD ever been more popular than its coaches? Especially a golden boy like Fred? Pollard is not delusional. It's just a silly comment made by someone who likely did not have a good relationship with Jamie.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

its a state school. It should not be run like Google.