Random Thoughts V

Status
Not open for further replies.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
oh and random, but I survived my first cold call today, so that was exciting. Law school uses the case method where we read cases and then discuss them. And a lot of discussion is by cold call, so the professors will randomly call on students which is terrifying. For example, Professor: "WooClone15, in Mathews v. Eldridge, what test did the Supreme Court say should be used when deciding how much due process to have?" Me: "...****"

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
oh and random, but I survived my first cold call today, so that was exciting. Law school uses the case method where we read cases and then discuss them. And a lot of discussion is by cold call, so the professors will randomly call on students which is terrifying. For example, Professor: "WooClone15, in Mathews v. Eldridge, what test did the Supreme Court say should be used when deciding how much due process to have?" Me: "...****"

Iowa.

But I thought you said you survived?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Iowa.

But I thought you said you survived?
I mean, I knew the case ok so I did fine, but it was still terrifying and I should have done better. It probably doesn't help that the professor has a reputation for not being very forgiving if you screw up.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I mean, I knew the case ok so I did fine, but it was still terrifying and I should have done better. It probably doesn't help that the professor has a reputation for not being very forgiving if you screw up.

rs_493x265-150408125830-elleharvard.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
By way of background, we blended our families when my two boys were 15 & 16 and his youngest boy was 12, so I can really only speak to my boys in grade school, and his in from 7th grade on (the oldest boy & girls never lived with us). My older boy was a marginal athlete in a class full of gifted athletes. Younger son was a pretty good middle-distance runner, but somewhat lazy. They both tried soccer (rec league) and hated it, they both tried baseball in junior high and dropped it. Both of them found their niches in high school, but both spent most of their time cheering on teammates. My thing was this - I encouraged them to try whatever they wanted to...my stipulations were a) if they went out for a team, they stayed with it for a full season and b) they had to maintain their grades...by MY standards. They enjoyed their time in sports; when they no longer enjoyed it, they moved on.

Last thing I ever wanted to do was be one of "those" parents. I wanted my kids to enjoy things, and maybe it was easier to be laid back because I knew they were in it for fun and camaraderie rather than striving for D1 "scholarship" status.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Had 3 vacation days to burn before the end of the year, so I took tonight off for little00's first soccer game. admittedly, it's much less boring than tee ball.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Had 3 vacation days to burn before the end of the year, so I took tonight off for little00's first soccer game. admittedly, it's much less boring than tee ball.
I'm assuming they used the herd method where it's just a herd of small children running after the ball? I always thought that was really cute to watch.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm assuming they used the herd method where it's just a herd of small children running after the ball? I always thought that was really cute to watch.

Yeah, mostly. It was K-1st graders, but there were a couple kids that looked like they were closer to 8, so they dominated a little, but yeah, there was a lot of standing around trying not to kick each other. Also positive, little00 drew the team that had the good looking mom coaches.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The old chase and kick leagues, where scores are typically 18-15.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For Cooler--we ask that our daughter put forth some effort on her own outside of practice, and we let her know before we commit what our expectations of her are. The team she plays on costs us money and time transporting to/from practices and tournaments. We do our part; she has to do hers. If her effort or interest isn't there, then we will be done with club softball and she can just play through school. Right now she is fully into it--she has a new coach and he has been motivating for her. She carries a notebook around and writes things down from practice, and he has asked them to do just 10min a day outside of practice. She is good at what she does, but not perfect. And we know she may not always be the best, but she will take in what coaches say and make changes and try to get better. Right now it is her goal to play at ISU (because the bigger goal is to go to vet school here). We are putting her in the right position to potentially make the decision to take it to the level where she would be recruited, but at age 12 we are not pushing it yet. In her sport (softball), recruiting starts at age 14 and many girls don't even play HS ball because that is not how you get recruited in the sport.

She also plays club volleyball, but she isn't as serious about it. She tried soccer a few years when younger and doesn't like basketball at all.

She is our first, but she showed potential at a young age and showed a true love of the sport. Our next oldest is not an "athelete", but she has tried sports and is currently doing rec volleyball. And the next one in line is just 4--we won't start sports until age 5 (personal preference, and family logistics).

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
The old chase and kick leagues, where scores are typically 18-15.

I don't think they kept score, but it was probably 8-6. Not a whole lot of shots on goal. One little girl took one off the side of the head, though. Thankfully, she just got up and started running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron