Random Thoughts V

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I may be mistaken but I believe that this club of which you speak may be across the street from my office.
I honestly have no idea which one it was. I wish I did, since I moved up here a lot of people have asked me which one it was.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I honestly have no idea which one it was. I wish I did, since I moved up here a lot of people have asked me which one it was.
I think that it is pretty likely that it is a place that sorta rhymes with Nick's Chevrolet. It is near the site of the former Metrodome and has a "novelty" store around the corner which could have formerly been a book store. I wish I had a more interesting story about why I know this but the fact is that it is just right across the street from where I work. Also, I may have been there about 20 years ago. Maybe. And it may have been called Buns and Roses at the time which is a name you don't easily forget.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm trying to cut down on eating out because of the calories involved. But I only have a microwave and a minifridge at this particular hotel. What are some ideas on stuff to eat/prepare?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
First World Problems: parent version (apologies for the long post)

00 posted something the other day that struck home a bit. He mentioned hearing the neighbor talking to his kid about not wanting to pay for his kid's softball if she wasn't going to try. It sounded harsh, but it got me thinking.

Youth sports used to be designed to allow kids to have fun, exercise, and learn the sport. Anymore, they are so competitive that unless you get your kid in something early, they are already behind other kids, unless your kid is just really athletically gifted and catches on quick.

There are rec options out there, but once kids reach a level to try out for their school teams, I'd bet a good chunk of those kids miss out on making their school teams. No stats to back that up, just my guess. I have two nephews recently try out for their high school soccer teams. The club nephew made it, the rec nephew missed.

I know there's a balance that's needed and so many parents go over the top projecting themselves on their kids. However, what about the parents that want their kid to have the opportunity to go farther in a sport? When do you push and when do you stop?

There's been times when my daughter says, "Can we just skip practice today?" I want to say "Sure" because she practices twice a week and then has games on weekends. It seems like a lot for her age. But then I feel like I'd be doing her a disservice by not teaching her to follow thru with committing to a team. I know if I cave in once, I'll get the "but last week, you said it was ok" argument.

I constantly ask her if she has fun and she says yes. I tell her that if at any time it stops being fun, I want her to tell me. She keeps insisting that she loves it, even stating that she wanted to change her room to soccer themed. I guess I'm looking for opinions on anyone that has gone through it with their own kids or have gone through it being the kid.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm trying to cut down on eating out because of the calories involved. But I only have a microwave and a minifridge at this particular hotel. What are some ideas on stuff to eat/prepare?

You could make sandwiches or wraps and eat lots of yummy veggies/fruit. Easy and good for you.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Boxster, I can't believe no one has wished you a happy birthday yet, so allow me to be the first:

​HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
And thanks to all for the congrats on being the OP of RTV. Special shout-out to KC for giving me the opportunity, this means so much to me! :smile::v_SPIN:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Lunch meat and tortillas for wraps or quesadillas, veggies, fruit. You can make a decent blt with a microwave. Grab a head of lettuce and make some chef salads once in awhile. For variety, you can make a meal out of hummus and pita bread or pita chips. You could also possibly find some decent sushi at any of the grocery stores.

If you are looking to cut calories, drink a bottle of water before you eat. You'll be amazed at how much less you'll eat.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Ham and cheese? Is there a park nearby where you could grill? And fruit, fruit is good for you.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I think that it is pretty likely that it is a place that sorta rhymes with Nick's Chevrolet. It is near the site of the former Metrodome and has a "novelty" store around the corner which could have formerly been a book store. I wish I had a more interesting story about why I know this but the fact is that it is just right across the street from where I work. Also, I may have been there about 20 years ago. Maybe. And it may have been called Buns and Roses at the time which is a name you don't easily forget.
Lol thanks, that is the one my old roommate up here thought it was, don't want to go there, but it will add to the story.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Fifteen: you could grab some chicken breasts or thighs and a carton of chicken broth, poach them in the microwave, cut them up, then refrigerate for the week. Grab a bagged lettuce and some dressing, maybe some grated parm, throw some chicken on top of the salad.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Cooler: are there consequences for skipping a practice? I know in some leagues there are. If so, it might be a good time to talk about decision making and consequences. I think asking whether it's fun is good. When the neighbors across the street were screaming last night, I was thinking about it and decided that the point when I had to provide the motivation, they'd be done, unless they wanted to deal with the consequences and change.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
First World Problems: parent version (apologies for the long post)

00 posted something the other day that struck home a bit. He mentioned hearing the neighbor talking to his kid about not wanting to pay for his kid's softball if she wasn't going to try. It sounded harsh, but it got me thinking.

Youth sports used to be designed to allow kids to have fun, exercise, and learn the sport. Anymore, they are so competitive that unless you get your kid in something early, they are already behind other kids, unless your kid is just really athletically gifted and catches on quick.

There are rec options out there, but once kids reach a level to try out for their school teams, I'd bet a good chunk of those kids miss out on making their school teams. No stats to back that up, just my guess. I have two nephews recently try out for their high school soccer teams. The club nephew made it, the rec nephew missed.

I know there's a balance that's needed and so many parents go over the top projecting themselves on their kids. However, what about the parents that want their kid to have the opportunity to go farther in a sport? When do you push and when do you stop?

There's been times when my daughter says, "Can we just skip practice today?" I want to say "Sure" because she practices twice a week and then has games on weekends. It seems like a lot for her age. But then I feel like I'd be doing her a disservice by not teaching her to follow thru with committing to a team. I know if I cave in once, I'll get the "but last week, you said it was ok" argument.

I constantly ask her if she has fun and she says yes. I tell her that if at any time it stops being fun, I want her to tell me. She keeps insisting that she loves it, even stating that she wanted to change her room to soccer themed. I guess I'm looking for opinions on anyone that has gone through it with their own kids or have gone through it being the kid.
Is the practice team practice, or practice on her own? Because if it's team practice I agree that you want to teach commitment, and not to let your teammates down. I do think that's an important skill. If it's practice on her own and she's already practicing more than the other kids that's obviously different. And I think you're doing it right by keeping the focus on the fun aspect. I think the problem comes when parents get too invested in their kid being the best or the focus shifts from the kid enjoying it. Full disclosure: I'm not a parent and have always sucked at sports.

Sidenote: Do a lot of schools really have try outs for sports? My only experience was with CC where it didn't matter. And I just assumed that the combination of not playing/conditioning would weed out the kids that weren't invested in it.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Just wait until you try and check out and leave.

I bet taxes out there are a *****. Just researching what it would cost to follow the Brewers to the west coast next year. Only would need one night each in San Fran and Oakland. I have a place to stay in LA.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I bet taxes out there are a *****. Just researching what it would cost to follow the Brewers to the west coast next year. Only would need one night each in San Fran and Oakland. I have a place to stay in LA.

Well, guess it's not the checkout part, you can check out any time you like.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Woo: I think the larger metro areas do have tryouts.
ok. Like I said, my experience was CC, and in that top seven run varsity and everyone else would run jv. And I also went to DM Hoover, so they needed as many kids on the football team as they could get. I guess the only sports I could see it in would be basketball and soccer, but even then not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.