Bicyclists fined $195 for stop sign violations

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I usually do a slow roll through stop signs on my bike as a consideration for cars. If it's something like a 4 way stop, I'll always yield to cars who were at the stop before me(sometimes even cars that got there after me if I feel like they aren't paying attention, for my own safety). I don't mind coming to a complete stop if there's no traffic behind me and I have to wait for cars in cross traffic.

I wonder how many people complaining about how bikers get away with slow and go stops at stop signs would also complain if a bicyclist came to a complete stop and then slowed them down because they had to wait for their slow acceleration after the stop. I think some people just seem to have an axe to grind with even responsible bikers regardless of what they do because they're taking up "their" road space.

Also if cyclists ride on sidewalks, then that puts pedestrians in danger, and then pedestrians complain about cyclists hogging the sidewalks.

Until there are dedicated bike lanes or bike paths for every major throughfare in most metro areas. Even in a high bicycle use area like northern colorado I see way too much blame game(cyclists vs motorists, mountain bikers vs hikers, etc) instead of just accepting that we're all taxpayers using the same resources for different purposes.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
This is interesting... http://www.bikeiowa.com/News/6806/m...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Not taking the drivers side, but I'm not sure what he exactly did wrong there to receive a fine. He moves over for the biker (obviously he could of gotten over further, but is that a law?). The question is how fast was he going? DId he slow down a little bit while passing the biker, and speed up once he got around creating the smoke plume, or did he step on it to be an ******* and create the smoke plume?

I don't see anything wrong with that the driver did there. He gave the cyclist plenty of room, considering this is a 2 lane road with no shoulder. I've had people pass much faster, much closer than that before. Sometimes if you're way out in rural land you even get people yelling out you, or slowing down and revving their engine behind you. Those are the times I wish I had mounted a camera to my bike. This video seems pretty tame to me, I'd be pretty ****** if I were the motorist in this situation tbh.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I like the idea of roll-through laws for cyclists, but there are some spots where cyclists absolutely need to come to a stop for their own safety, pedestrian safety, or even automobile safety. I guess they would just need specific signage at these locations. I almost hit an old man a few weeks ago, because he rolled through a trail stop sign where it crossed a road without a stop sign.

I like to bike. I don't like cyclists who don't observe their speed limits on trails they share with pedestrians. They'll get ticketed here in Denver -- it's hilarious.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
This is interesting... http://www.bikeiowa.com/News/6806/m...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Not taking the drivers side, but I'm not sure what he exactly did wrong there to receive a fine. He moves over for the biker (obviously he could of gotten over further, but is that a law?). The question is how fast was he going? DId he slow down a little bit while passing the biker, and speed up once he got around creating the smoke plume, or did he step on it to be an ******* and create the smoke plume?

Hadn't seen this yet. Will be an interesting court decision.
I'm with you (and others) that don't see an issue with the driver. It looks like he gave "reasonable" space to pass. Also like you said, the plume of smoke could actually work against the biker. The driver can easily say that he slowed down to pass and was simply speeding up once he was safely around the biker.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Between this thread and the one hating people who drive minivans and hating people who have more than two kids, CF definitely needs a road rage therapist.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Good. Cyclists are not above the law.

That being said, I think all vehicles, (2,3,4 or 6 wheels) should be able to slow down and roll through stop signs. And left turns on red lights. But that's another thread . . .

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
I can't believe you people would want to ride a bike on the roads where 80% of the automobile drivers are not paying attention, texting and such. Just stupid.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
If I have offended you, I apologize. I sincerely do but wouldn't the safest place for a person on a bicycle be on a trail or a bike lane designed for a bike? I don't think that is out of touch with reality, just common sense.

As a recovering cycling addict (took a year off for class work) I would disagree. Still to this day, I feel safer on the road than I do any sidewalk for one simple reason. When I am traveling on the road I am generally seen as a vehicle. My biggest fear on riding my bike is cars pulling into an intersection w/o looking. You know those big *** white stripes we are supposed to stop behind but nobody does? How many people check the sidewalks before backing out of their driveways? They just are not expecting a cyclist to roll through at 20 mph. They almost all stop before actually pulling out into traffic. Every one of my "oh ****" moments have come from me using a designated cross walk with someone in a car trying to turn right. They never look right because there is no vehicle threats from that side. They then pull out into the intersection so they can right turn on red...all while checking traffic to the left. When on the road I do everything I can to give respect and hope to get it in return.

As for bike trails? LOVE them. I ride them as much as possible. We have fantastic trails in the area. But, you will almost certainly never catch me coming to a complete stop on rural trails for the same reason I don't in my truck. I sure as hell slow down and check all directions multiple times before crossing but won't stop. How many people with manual transmissions "roll" through intersections?

Also, "bike trails" are not bike trails. They are multi-use trails. They are mom's pushing strollers walking four wide with their dogs hopefully on leashes obstacle generators. To me trails are more dangerous from a frequency of accidents, but the consequences of road accidents are obviously much worse.

Can't people just stop being dicks for one minute, respect each other, grow the **** up and work together?

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
My son goes to school in Ft Collins, CO and he said that bikes there are subject to same laws as motor vehicles and the cops will give you a ticket just as quick on a bike.

In Colorado, you can get drunk driving on your bike & lose your drivers license... that is a stupid rule

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
As a recovering cycling addict (took a year off for class work) I would disagree. Still to this day, I feel safer on the road than I do any sidewalk for one simple reason. When I am traveling on the road I am generally seen as a vehicle. My biggest fear on riding my bike is cars pulling into an intersection w/o looking. You know those big *** white stripes we are supposed to stop behind but nobody does? How many people check the sidewalks before backing out of their driveways? They just are not expecting a cyclist to roll through at 20 mph. They almost all stop before actually pulling out into traffic. Every one of my "oh ****" moments have come from me using a designated cross walk with someone in a car trying to turn right. They never look right because there is no vehicle threats from that side. They then pull out into the intersection so they can right turn on red...all while checking traffic to the left. When on the road I do everything I can to give respect and hope to get it in return.

I have a similar story from the other perspective but a couple key facts are a bit different. A teenager was riding his bike on the wrong side of the road (ie: left lane) close to the curb and i nearly wiped him out as he crossed the intersection because it never even occurred to me to look right when turning right and it was clear when i got to the stop sign. Scared the hell out of me and am pretty sure him too.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
What if you are a jogger & run thru those intersections? I feel like a biker on a bike trail is similar to a jogger. If on a street then follow the rules of the road but if on a trail, its not a road, its a linear park.

Intersections need to be made more safe. The trees need to be trimmed so both drivers & riders can see. When your sight is limited the trail is unsafe, make it safer. I ride year around and I also ride with music (a speaker not ear buds) and I pause my music when rolling thru intersections (on the trail) so that i can hear oncoming vehicles. I dont know many cyclists that do this, but its a good idea.

The slow roll thru stop signs makes sense to me. Cyclists shouldnt make the streets unsafe, and I'd say the vehicle drivers who are in a hurry need to be tickets.

The DNR guy a a d!ck.

This deal is just before the Peddlers Jamboree, a 2 day event rolling from Waukee thru Perry up to Jefferson overnight then back to Waukee thru Panora. I think they are trying to mess it up. Maybe not but thats my take.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
What if you are a jogger & run thru those intersections? I feel like a biker on a bike trail is similar to a jogger. If on a street then follow the rules of the road but if on a trail, its not a road, its a linear park.

Intersections need to be made more safe. The trees need to be trimmed so both drivers & riders can see. When your sight is limited the trail is unsafe, make it safer. I ride year around and I also ride with music (a speaker not ear buds) and I pause my music when rolling thru intersections (on the trail) so that i can hear oncoming vehicles. I dont know many cyclists that do this, but its a good idea.

The slow roll thru stop signs makes sense to me. Cyclists shouldnt make the streets unsafe, and I'd say the vehicle drivers who are in a hurry need to be tickets.

The DNR guy a a d!ck.

This deal is just before the Peddlers Jamboree, a 2 day event rolling from Waukee thru Perry up to Jefferson overnight then back to Waukee thru Panora. I think they are trying to mess it up. Maybe not but thats my take.

what if it were in an alien spacecraft that ran the stop sign?

You know what the answer would be? THE ALIEN WOULD GET A ******* TICKET!!!!!!!!!

(assuming of course the officer could catch the spacecraft, which admittedly would seem unlikely)

Holy ****, you guys are having trouble grasping a fairly obvious and simple concept. If an officer sees you run a stop sign, whether it's on foot, on a bike, in a car, on one of those hoverboards from back to the future II, on a golf cart, a horse, a 4-wheeler, or a ******* helicopter, the result will be the same.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Good. Cyclists are not above the law.

That being said, I think all vehicles, (2,3,4 or 6 wheels) should be able to slow down and roll through stop signs. And left turns on red lights. But that's another thread . . .

Id generally agree with that. No reason one cant assess an intersection while slowing down yet not coming to a complete stop. Most people will do that through neighborhood stop signs anyway.

And the left turn on stop lights, dont get me started about that in WDM and their red lights for left turns while the light forward is green around jordan creek mall.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

As for bike trails? LOVE them. I ride them as much as possible. We have fantastic trails in the area. But, you will almost certainly never catch me coming to a complete stop on rural trails for the same reason I don't in my truck. I sure as hell slow down and check all directions multiple times before crossing but won't stop. How many people with manual transmissions "roll" through intersections?

Also, "bike trails" are not bike trails. They are multi-use trails. They are mom's pushing strollers walking four wide with their dogs hopefully on leashes obstacle generators. To me trails are more dangerous from a frequency of accidents, but the consequences of road accidents are obviously much worse.

Can't people just stop being dicks for one minute, respect each other, grow the **** up and work together?

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing sometimes. I am a 15 mph kinda hybrid bike rider and the busiest city trails here are separated, if not physically at least striped for bike vs. pedestrian, but there are still lots of pedestrians wondering onto the bike paths. At 15 mph I can slow down or speed up on the trail in response to poor surface conditions and congestion (slower bikers, runners, families etc). A road biker at 20 mph or faster would be too fast for these busiest mixed traffic trails but if they hop onto the parkway (with it's 25 mph speed limit for cars) the auto drivers freak out and yell at you to get on the pathway with all of the family traffic. I am old and worn out now and mostly stick to the trails but as a younger and faster biker I used to hit the road and not the paths because it wasn't safe for the families for me to be high-balling it on the trails but than I would get people deliberately driving as close to me as they could without hitting me just to show who was boss.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
what if it were in an alien spacecraft that ran the stop sign?

You know what the answer would be? THE ALIEN WOULD GET A ******* TICKET!!!!!!!!!

(assuming of course the officer could catch the spacecraft, which admittedly would seem unlikely)

Holy ****, you guys are having trouble grasping a fairly obvious and simple concept. If an officer sees you run a stop sign, whether it's on foot, on a bike, in a car, on one of those hoverboards from back to the future II, on a golf cart, a horse, a 4-wheeler, or a ******* helicopter, the result will be the same.

What about on an ark in the event of a flood where the DNR officer was lucky enough to be invited onto the ark?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'll look like an *** for saying this, but I read about this earlier and couldn't have been happier. Bike riders like to get on their soapboxes all the time about how they should have every right a car has and blah, blah, blah but I never see any of them perform any of the same safety or legal requirements as a vehicle.

We live in Waukee and it's like the bike capital of the state. If you want to be treated like a vehicle and force me to go slow behind you on a major road, you damn well better stop at every stop sign or light and not be crazy crossing entry/exit drives leading into retail joints. You want to be treated like a big kid, then act like one and not selectively pick what you like.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I can't believe you people would want to ride a bike on the roads where 80% of the automobile drivers are not paying attention, texting and such. Just stupid.

What annoys me is places where there's been a wide-width trail paid for and built immediately adjacent to the road (as is the case on many WDM arterials) yet some think its a good idea to be on the road itself. EP True comes to mind in WDM, especially with the curves on that one where a driver may not see a biker around the corner.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
because it is safer for someone to get into a car after visiting breweries??

Well I've never run a stop sign in my car after visiting a brewery.

On a serious note, it's not about the drinking. It's about people who are usually fat(with skinny legs), sweating, smelly, wearing biking too tight biking shorts. Between this and kids I wish they would still allow smoking in bars.