Bicyclists fined $195 for stop sign violations

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I got a ticket from the Ames Police back in 2000 for riding down the road onto the sidewalk by the Welch Ave ATM (across from the FD) and 20 feet later to the Bike area to lock it up so I could get a haircut at a business on Welch.
$86..... because I rode my Bike on the sidewalk for 20 feet. I remember him calling my name and description of my Bike on his Walkie. Writing me a ticket and that was it.

That is what always gets me. Drivers do not realize it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk. We have to be in the road. It is not safe for a bike to be on the sidewalk.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've always thought biking was a recreational activity hence the need for bike trails. I think all bicyclists should have to ride on bike trails only unless a street has a bike lane (for people that want to ride to work or whatever). I love to play golf but I can't drive my cart on the street hence I haul it to the golf course to use it. Same principle
When I used to manage a lot of people I had a lot of employees who didn't even own a car and their wages would make it tough for them to do so. Biking is transportation - not recreation - for a lot of people in the U.S. and even more people in other places in the world.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I've always thought biking was a recreational activity hence the need for bike trails. I think all bicyclists should have to ride on bike trails only unless a street has a bike lane (for people that want to ride to work or whatever). I love to play golf but I can't drive my cart on the street hence I haul it to the golf course to use it. Same principle

Wow.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I think you can drive a golf cart on streets in Iowa if the speed limit is 35 or under.

no, there is no set Iowa law, it's up to that particular city you're in. Some cities allow them, some don't.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Between inattentive drivers in cars, bikes with no rules, and pedestrians, driving on campus is an exercise in frustration...but if you're paying attention you can escape unscathed. I'm glad I don't have to drive on busy metropolitan streets; I don't think I'd be as lucky there. :)

If bikes are on roads, they need to follow the driving rules. I understand the idea of the slow down and roll through, but I can also see the potential for abuse, both from bikers AND from those driving cars and arguing that if the bikers can, they can. No cop, no stop, right?

I don't have a good answer for the problem, except to say that none of us OWN the road - we SHARE it. And many of us may need to go back for a refresher course on the preschool rules of "sharing".

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Some of the bike lanes Minneapolis has put in on the streets are so confusing that neither the bikers or the drivers can figure them out. Rode 20 miles last night, mostly on trails, and the most dangerous section was the five blocks on city streets riding by parked cars having to eyeball everyone of them for potential opening doors or pulling out into me.

That's one thing that bikers need to be better at...you're NOT as visible as a car...so you need to be defensive! You're older & wiser, you probably got there by doing just what you said here...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
True story: while attending ISU I rode my bike everywhere (I didn't trust CyRide to get me to football meetings, weightlifting and practice on time). One day while riding down Welch going from Towers to campus a cop on a bike rolls up beside me and asks me to pull over. I look at him and laugh, then he says he is serious. So I pull over by the Keg Shops parking lot. He asks me for my license (which I find weird because I am riding a bike not driving a car), I tell him it's in my dorm and he then tells me that I didn't stop at the stop sign back by the ADELANTE frat house and he can give me the same ticket a car could get for running a stop sign. Long story short I got a warning.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I usually drive but often bike my 15 mile one way commute to work. I am lucky in that there is a good portion of the route that is bike trail or bike lane but as I get downtown I have no choice but to ride in traffic on the streets. I get just as mad at the cyclists who ride like entitled ****** by not signalling, running red lights, riding the wrong way on one way streets - essentially expecting everyone else to yield to them regardless of what the law says. They just inflame drivers and some of those drivers don't need much prompting to drive aggressively around cyclists.

I admit that I will slow when approaching a stop sign and if the way is clear go through without coming to a complete and full stop. However, if there is a car with the right of way approaching, I will stop to allow them to exercise their right. I also will move clear over in a blended turn/bike lane to allow cars queuing up behind me to make their turn on red rather than making them wait behind me just because I can.

If we all start to think about being considerate when sharing the road it will turn out better for all of us.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
One time I was going down Welch on a bike and my brake line broke. I blew threw the intersection at Lincoln Way on a red light for me. I thought I was dead. I never rode a bike in Ames again.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I try to avoid busy roads because I don't trust speeding motorists to NOT hit me. If I have to take a route with heavy traffic and there's a sidewalk, I'm using the sidewalk.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I usually drive but often bike my 15 mile one way commute to work. I am lucky in that there is a good portion of the route that is bike trail or bike lane but as I get downtown I have no choice but to ride in traffic on the streets. I get just as mad at the cyclists who ride like entitled ****** by not signalling, running red lights, riding the wrong way on one way streets - essentially expecting everyone else to yield to them regardless of what the law says. They just inflame drivers and some of those drivers don't need much prompting to drive aggressively around cyclists.

I admit that I will slow when approaching a stop sign and if the way is clear go through without coming to a complete and full stop. However, if there is a car with the right of way approaching, I will stop to allow them to exercise their right. I also will move clear over in a blended turn/bike lane to allow cars queuing up behind me to make their turn on red rather than making them wait behind me just because I can.

If we all start to think about being considerate when sharing the road it will turn out better for all of us.

Yup.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Couple things here, first I didn't know a DNR officer could issue speeding tickets. Pretty sure I've passed DNR vehicles on highways, probably going 5-10 over.
Second, I've always wondered if you could get a ticket on a bike. I've seen plenty of them fly through stop signs while I'm coming to a stop in my car.

Pretty funny that one of the guys is on the Board for that trail. Tried to get out of the ticket with a good ol "don't you know who I am".

http://www.kcci.com/news/bicyclists-fined-195-for-stop-sign-violations-on-trail/35078464

Same rules, same road but VERY different gross vehicle weight.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I just assume any bike in Ames is going to blow through a stop sign at full speed, just like any pedestrian in Ames is going to walk into the street without looking because their noses are in their phones.

Hit the brakes for a kid that blew through one on the east side of campus. By the time I got over by Howe, there he was again, zipping between cars that were slowed for pedestrians. It was pretty clear by the turn signal that CyRide was going to pull back into traffic by Howe once the pedestrians crossed, but the biker was determined to blow past and almost hit a pedestrian first. Had to lay his bike on the pavement to avoid being hit by the bus. And I am sure I am a bad person for this, but it gave me a good laugh.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa

Except that bicycles are explicitly allowed to be on the road, with rights and responsibilities thereof, in the Iowa Code.

I got a ticket from the Ames Police back in 2000 for riding down the road onto the sidewalk by the Welch Ave ATM (across from the FD) and 20 feet later to the Bike area to lock it up so I could get a haircut at a business on Welch.
$86..... because I rode my Bike on the sidewalk for 20 feet. I remember him calling my name and description of my Bike on his Walkie. Writing me a ticket and that was it.

That stretch of Welch does have specific signs for no bikes...which makes sense due to high pedestrian usage.

However, overall there needs to be an overall rationalization of bike regulations:

--Allowed on roads, distinction between a vehicle stop (just hit gas to accelerate) vs bike stop (human powered acceleration, low speed rolling stop easy to make complete stop).
--Revise stopping definition for bikes, as described w/ other states 3 mph rolling stop. From a liability standpoint the trails cannot put Yield signs at realistically-rolling-stop-Yield crossings due to lack of true-yielding (all approaches can see each other) sight distances.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I try to avoid busy roads because I don't trust speeding motorists to NOT hit me. If I have to take a route with heavy traffic and there's a sidewalk, I'm using the sidewalk.

I fully agree with this and it is much safer to ride a bike on the sidewalk. You aren't going to go anywhere quickly (which if that is the goal then use the streets). Most bikes that are not road bikes with skinny tires can easily go around the few pedestrians that they may encounter. I rode my bike on the side walk to school all the time in elementary school (maybe 3rd through 6th).

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006

Explain to me how it is different? For those that say they can't afford a car, that is why there is public transportation in every city in America. Buses, trains, subways, etc.

I ride all the time but I would never do it on a busy street for several reasons.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
As someone who just got back from Eurobike convention, this is the biggest difference between cycling in the US and EU. Less cars on the road to ease traffic is good for everyone and the environment. I dont know how anybody can be against biking to work.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

Explain to me how it is different? For those that say they can't afford a car, that is why there is public transportation in every city in America. Buses, trains, subways, etc.

I ride all the time but I would never do it on a busy street for several reasons.

This is simply out of touch with reality.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think a 3 MPH through a stop sign is fine...but a bicyclist who flies through a red light like it's not there deserves what they get for a natural consequence.

Same for things like not yielding to pedestrians, other vehicles, or using a front light at night.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That is what always gets me. Drivers do not realize it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk. We have to be in the road. It is not safe for a bike to be on the sidewalk.

It is not illegal in Iowa to ride a Bike on a sidewalk. Some city's may prohibit it, but it is not a state law. Ames disallows riding on the sidewalk in certain areas (ie Welch Ave between Knapp and Lincoln Way.. http://www.cityofames.org/index.aspx?page=939). Also, IMO, it is much safer for a bike to be on the sidewalk then it is in a street, and most cities have 6'-8' sidewalks/paths along busy corridors to encourage bikes to use sidewalks in a completely safe environment.