Can+Growler=Crowler

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I know some of you live in places where you can get these but I bought the first one that El Bait Shop made yesterday. Stupid expensive but I had to do it one time.

Got it filled with some Oskar Blues Juicy Wolff, which is supposed to be excellent.

Had a Oskar Blues Death By Coconut while I was there and it was probably my favorite beer I've had this year.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_7311.JPG
    DSC_7311.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 623

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
ARe you talking about those jug looking things they sell Confluence brews in at HyVee? That picture looks like a tall boy.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
its similar to a growler (glass) but its a can. Heard Bruno/CW etc talk about this yesterday. The can wont leak, the glass does so the can can last longer but I'd guess you'd need to kill the can, where the growler can be resealed easily.....

Heard the killed by coconut is like a mounds bar.. I love coconut, maybe someone should make a german chocolate cake brew....

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So it's a tall boy?

Yes, if a tall boy was 32 ounces. This is 10 ounces more than a bomber.

As far as price, it looks like EBS is going to charge double the amount of a pint and then add $3. So probably around $13 for an average beer at EBS. It would be cheaper to just do a normal 64 ounce growler but for specialty beers this may make sense. If you don't have a problem paying $10 for a bomber than you shouldn't have a problem with this price.

Pretty cool to see it in action. EBS completely over pours the beer into the can leaving just a little head and then uses this machine to seal the cap.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Yes, if a tall boy was 32 ounces. This is 10 ounces more than a bomber.

As far as price, it looks like EBS is going to charge double the amount of a pint and then add $3. So probably around $13 for an average beer at EBS. It would be cheaper to just do a normal 64 ounce growler but for specialty beers this may make sense. If you don't have a problem paying $10 for a bomber than you shouldn't have a problem with this price.

Pretty cool to see it in action. EBS completely over pours the beer into the can leaving just a little head and then uses this machine to seal the cap.

Are they doing this for every beer they have on tap?

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Crowlers are pretty sweet-they can last much longer then a growler.

Toppling Goliath ordered one I heard, not sure if they are using it yet?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm still confused. Are you saying that Oskar Blues can in the picture is refillable?

No. The bar has a supply of empty cans and lids. You tell them what beer you want, they fill the can and lid it. Then, when you drink it, you pop the top like a normal can, and it's done.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The only problem I have with 64oz growlers is that it's a lot of beer to drink at one sitting and once you open it up it's never as good.

I believe EBS charges the same 2x the amount for 1/2 growlers but they don't charge the extra $3.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The only problem I have with 64oz growlers is that it's a lot of beer to drink at one sitting and once you open it up it's never as good.

I believe EBS charges the same 2x the amount for 1/2 growlers but they don't charge the extra $3.

Man up and be hungover at work like the rest of us.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
$3 for the can? WTF? 30Hop has had theirs for a few weeks now and they have a similar pricing structure, for beers they sell by the pint it's 2X pint cost + $1 for the can, prices are higher for beers that have smaller pours. Would rather just buy a howler or a regular growler.

Be interesting to see if the Alcohol division here goes full derp like the TABC is. http://spirits.blog.austin360.com/2...bar-told-crowlers-not-permitted-by-texas-law/

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
$3 for the can? WTF? 30Hop has had theirs for a few weeks now and they have a similar pricing structure, for beers they sell by the pint it's 2X pint cost + $1 for the can, prices are higher for beers that have smaller pours. Would rather just buy a howler or a regular growler.

Be interesting to see if the Alcohol division here goes full derp like the TABC is. http://spirits.blog.austin360.com/2...bar-told-crowlers-not-permitted-by-texas-law/

Just $1 for the Crowler here in DFW also. That is what makes is a "deal" compared to buying the glass growler. None of my normal spots have suffered the same fate as the place in Austin just yet. I'm sure it's coming.

I have no doubt someone in big brewing pointed out the area of contention that specifies canning in the manufacturing process.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Just $1 for the Crowler here in DFW also. That is what makes is a "deal" compared to buying the glass growler. None of my normal spots have suffered the same fate as the place in Austin just yet. I'm sure it's coming.

I have no doubt someone in big brewing pointed out the area of contention that specifies canning in the manufacturing process.

I would not be able to live anywhere close to this place if I was in DFW. http://www.tapsandcaps.com/taps/

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron