14-15 WBB Bracketology

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Creme has posted his preseason bracket.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

He has ISU as one of the first four out.

Like preseason rankings, it's hard to put much stock in these things. However, it's amazing that Iowa State does not get more benefit-of-the-doubt given the track record of making it into the tourney, sometimes with lesser talent than many teams out there.

How is Minnesota solidly in in this projection after not making it to the NCAA tourney and having a new coach?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Creme has posted his preseason bracket.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

He has ISU as one of the first four out.

Like preseason rankings, it's hard to put much stock in these things. However, it's amazing that Iowa State does not get more benefit-of-the-doubt given the track record of making it into the tourney, sometimes with lesser talent than many teams out there.

How is Minnesota solidly in in this projection after not making it to the NCAA tourney and having a new coach?

Because of new coach, not in spite of new coach. Rachel Banham was just voted preseason Big 10 player of the year. She joins teammate Amanda Zahui B. on the Big 10 media preseason first team. Throw in freshman Carlie Wagner and they should be pretty good. They should have been good last year and were losing too many good local recruits, hence the new coach. Big 10 is going to be good with Maryland added to top the league.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Wow. Issuing a bracketology projection before a single game has even been played is completely pointless. It's based on nothing other than wild guesses, especially when it comes to mid-majors and small league representatives. This shouldn't even be a "thing" until after the 1st of the year. So, not much reason to acknowledge his placement of Iowa State. Hopefully, it's just another motivator they can use to claw their way to the top half of the Big 12 and make their 9th consecutive NCAA appearance.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Because of new coach, not in spite of new coach. Rachel Banham was just voted preseason Big 10 player of the year. She joins teammate Amanda Zahui B. on the Big 10 media preseason first team. Throw in freshman Carlie Wagner and they should be pretty good. They should have been good last year and were losing too many good local recruits, hence the new coach. Big 10 is going to be good with Maryland added to top the league.

You kind of reinforce my question. Their new coach is completely unproven in a league as tough as the Big 10. They are being given a big benefit-of-the-doubt. I always love watching Banham play. But there are still unproven, albeit highly touted, freshmen on their team, just like ISU.

Actually, I agree that Minnesota is probably good enough to make the tourney. My question is there are as many or more questions with that team, and I'm just surprised that Iowa State WBB does not get a little more respect with our returning players and newcomers and coach.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Well, BF is the numbers genius, but we will have to do very well in conference, because other than Iowa, which I don't expect to win, our non-con RPI will be weak and likely void of any signature win.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You kind of reinforce my question. Their new coach is completely unproven in a league as tough as the Big 10. They are being given a big benefit-of-the-doubt. I always love watching Banham play. But there are still unproven, albeit highly touted, freshmen on their team, just like ISU.

Actually, I agree that Minnesota is probably good enough to make the tourney. My question is there are as many or more questions with that team, and I'm just surprised that Iowa State WBB does not get a little more respect with our returning players and newcomers and coach.

Gophers and ISU had almost the same records and RPI last year. We got off the bubble because we were hosting and than laid a huge egg at home in front of our fans and score only 44 points. Our reputation helped because we were RPI in 40's and only 9-9 in a down year for the Big 12. Gophers were not hosting and went NIT. It's not like we had a great year or have had good NCAAs in the last four years (two recent 1st round losses at home). If I were objectively forecasting who would be better I would have to say the Gophers.

Maybe this is a year we get back to more than 1st round. The last Sweet 16 was with freshman posts like we will be doing this year.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Well, BF is the numbers genius, but we will have to do very well in conference, because other than Iowa, which I don't expect to win, our non-con RPI will be weak and likely void of any signature win.

Nothing voids signature wins. The non-con doesn't add positives other than badly needed experience and hopefully a win over top 20 Iowa in the process. You get wins in the big 12 and they speak for themselves.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Creme has to revise his projections all along the way, simply because he doesn't really know whats going to happen. In other words, he's full of "creme".

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Nothing voids signature wins. The non-con doesn't add positives other than badly needed experience and hopefully a win over top 20 Iowa in the process. You get wins in the big 12 and they speak for themselves.

To be clear I said, our nonconference would be "void of" meaning "without" a signature win, unless we beat Iowa. I did not say it would void signature wins.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The Big 12 only getting 5 may be a stretch, but other power conferences like the SEC, BIG 10, ACC are super deep. Also, the Pac 10 has more depth than I recall in a long time, it is no longer just Stanford and a couple other teams.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
My mistake...sorry for mis-reading.

No worries. I kknow we go around about our noncon every year, but this is one reassonISU loses some "respect"from national media, and as a fan, I would like to see some star players outside of Big12 once in a while. I appreciate the reasons. BF knows his math , but I don't Have to like it. Still love our program though.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
No worries. I kknow we go around about our noncon every year, but this is one reassonISU loses some "respect"from national media, and as a fan, I would like to see some star players outside of Big12 once in a while. I appreciate the reasons. BF knows his math , but I don't Have to like it. Still love our program though.

My understanding is, if stronger programs won't play home and home, we would have to sweeten the pot to get them to come. Where do you suggest we get the money to do that? My sense is that BF is thankful to get the support he does, he doesn't want to ask for more. You can't wave a wand and make people come play at Hilton. Is that on target, people who know more about the financial workings?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Charlie Creme is lucky if he understands the bracketing principles/procedures in any given week, and now he's putting this crap out before the season even starts? Whoof.