New Dienhart Blog about new coach

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=149248

The coaching carousel continues to turn
November 15, 2006

Iowa State update

Iowa State continues to move methodically in its coaching search. From what I can tell through my sources, there are no favorites. And few, if any, interviews have yet to take place. But expect that process to heat up soon, I'm told.

A source did tell me to expect Iowa State to hire a "younger" coach. If that's true, you can forget those rumors about Ohio's Frank Solich and UTEP's Mike Price. They were long shots -- if shots at all -- for the job.

Also, keep this in mind as the Cyclone brass searches for Dan McCarney's replacement. In addition to looking for a "younger" guy, sources tell me ISU likely will select a guy who isn't looking at Iowa State as a stepping stone. And, expect Iowa State to pick a guy who has some tie to the university and/or Midwest.

If I had to pick a favorite based on my conversations, it would be San Diego coach Jim Harbaugh. He has mega cache and fits the bill of what I'm told ISU is looking for. I stay in touch with sources close to Harbaugh, and I'm told he's interested. Expect an interview to happen soon, one source told me.

I also stay in contact with sources close to Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster and Central Michigan coach Brian Kelly. Like my Harbaugh sources, my sources on Brewster and Kelly tell me neither has been contacted by Iowa State. But those same sources tell me the duo is interested in the Cyclone gig. Look for Brewster to get an interview soon.

Don't forget about minority candidates. The best of the bunch may be Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell. He fits the profile of what Iowa State is looking for. And, a source tells me, he's interested.

Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst has been mentioned, but I was told by one source that he likely doesn't figure in the mix. His Wisconsin ties to ISU A.D. Jamie Pollard, a former Wisconsin athletic staffer, aren't that strong. Arizona Cardinals offensive line coach Steve Loney? Houston Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman? Forget it. ]

I think another name to consider is Minnesota offensive coordinator Mitch Browning. He's a sage veteran who's more than ready for the next step. And his credentials are without peer, as he has helped build programs at Kansas and Minnesota, which is no easy task. No doubt, Iowa State officials would be wise to take a hard look at Browning.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
I don't want any guy from Minn. They've been a carbon copy of ISU for a long time. I wouldn't have faith in him getting us to the next level.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Good point about Browning. I don't know much about him, but they do produce some good offense in MN.

I don't know much about him. When I heard the name, I thought who??? The same thing recruits are going to say? I know Harbaugh isn't a proven recruiter but the name recognition goes a long way. I know who Jim Harbaugh is and what he has done. I'm thinking recruits do as well. My 2 cents.

Rapplegt

Apr 7, 2006
I don't know much about him. When I heard the name, I thought who??? The same thing recruits are going to say? I know Harbaugh isn't a proven recruiter but the name recognition goes a long way. I know who Jim Harbaugh is and what he has done. I'm thinking recruits do as well. My 2 cents.

I'd suggest that he is a proven recruiter if he can take SD to the top of their division with no scholarships.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I'd suggest that he is a proven recruiter if he can take SD to the top of their division with no scholarships.

Well, OK then. However, my definition of a proven recruiter is a person who has brought pro talent into major programs at one time or another. Brewster has done so. No doubt Harbaugh's team has talent in their division.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
I feel like of those mentioned in the article, Harbaugh is the most likely to use ISU as a stepping stone. For some reason, Dienhart must feel differently. I wonder if its something he's heard from the same sources that said Jim would be interested in the position.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I feel like of those mentioned in the article, Harbaugh is the most likely to use ISU as a stepping stone. For some reason, Dienhart must feel differently. I wonder if its something he's heard from the same sources that said Jim would be interested in the position.

I AGREE whole heartedly. Harbaugh will use ISU as a stepping stone and then move on like Majors and Bruce. Harbaugh is a big 10 guy and that is where he will eventually end up.:yes4lo:

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I AGREE whole heartedly. Harbaugh will use ISU as a stepping stone and then move on like Majors and Bruce. Harbaugh is a big 10 guy and that is where he will eventually end up.:yes4lo:

I too thought it was very strange that Dienhart mentioned that we were looking for someone who would not use ISU as a stepping stone and someone with University/State ties, but then said the favorite was Harbaugh who really doesn't fit any of those 3 criteria. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika

This no scholarship thing is a little blown out of proportion. They give Academic Grants at USD to cover the costs of Tuition and Board for their athletes. It's not a full scholarship but it's like 75% of the costs.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006

I should have stated though, that I have no problem with Harbaugh using us as a stepping stone. If indeed he is here for 5-10 years, and does things for our program big enough to land him the head coaching job at Michigan, good for him, and good for us.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
This no scholarship thing is a little blown out of proportion. They give Academic Grants at USD to cover the costs of Tuition and Board for their athletes. It's not a full scholarship but it's like 75% of the costs.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was unaware.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I should have stated though, that I have no problem with Harbaugh using us as a stepping stone. If indeed he is here for 5-10 years, and does things for our program big enough to land him the head coaching job at Michigan, good for him, and good for us.

I have no problem with that scenario either.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee

Not necessarily true...The NCAA keeps pretty close tabs on athletes' financial aid packages at all schools who don't offer athletic scholarships. The NCAA conducts audits regularly to make sure athletes receive no more financial aid than the average student. If an athlete qualifies for academic scholarships through the college, then they could get a lot of $$. However, the scholarships would have to be in line with what non-athletes receive.

Ask Rob Ash, it's not easy to recruit to I-AA non-scholarship programs...

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I have a buddy that went to a school that couldn't give athletic scholarships, but for a slightly above average student he ended up with a fair amount of scholarships. Not saying he does this but it does happen. These schools take care of their athletes, just like every other school.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I went to a D-III school and played sports and I thought they were being generous to me, then I worked in their admissions office for five years. I saw all financial aid packages and, believe me, athletes receive no more financial aid than other students. They just like to tell friends and family they do to make them look good. I was amazed at how much money parents would shell out so their kids could keep the dream alive to play college athletics!

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think it is unrealistic to think a coach would stay in Ames for eternity. Staying 5-7 years is exactly what we need, enough stability to go to the next level and move on...both from the coaches perspective and ISU's. As long as we get someone that is going to stay longer than 3-4 years we are doing good. We aren't hiring for eternity.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Interesting article. I agree that if we have Harbaugh 5-10 years and he gets us some progress, then that is great. In today's coaching climate, 5-10 years is not really a stepping stone in a sense. It is time to establish something. Maybe that is the difference vs. a guy who could be here 2-3 years and then leaves.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Not necessarily true...The NCAA keeps pretty close tabs on athletes' financial aid packages at all schools who don't offer athletic scholarships. The NCAA conducts audits regularly to make sure athletes receive no more financial aid than the average student. If an athlete qualifies for academic scholarships through the college, then they could get a lot of $$. However, the scholarships would have to be in line with what non-athletes receive.

Ask Rob Ash, it's not easy to recruit to I-AA non-scholarship programs...

It's not financial aid, it's an Academic Grant. It's just like a scholarship except called differently. I have a friend that played football there about 15 years ago and he's the one that filled me in on this. Also, being division I-AA and a private school I don't know if they have the requirements of I-A school.

True, it is hard to recruit I-AA, I was just tired of hearing the no-scholarship thing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron