What will make you happy this year??

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Nothing will make me happy except a final record of 6-6.

Other than that, just going to the games makes me happy enough.

I would be happy to see a dynamic offense and a big upset where ISU can get some national attention.

Pounding NDSU into the ground would be nice too just to prove a point.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Couple of things that would make me ecstatic but will probably not happen:

- Go undefeated at home
- Not get sucker-punched by the refs even ONCE all year (this is nearly impossible for any team, not just ISU)

More realistically - I see these as things that would make me ecstatic but have a decent shot at happening:

- Open up the season 3-0
- See a vast improvement on offense AND defense (see above)
- Beat Oklahoma

Regarding the last one - everyone seems to think that Oklahoma is going to run away with the Big XII this year. I'm not buying it. I don't think that one game by a QB makes him the next incarnation of Sam Bradford or whoever you want to pick from OU's history. I agree their defense will likely be stout (LB core especially) but heck, we could have had them last year were it not for our injuries and ineptitude on offense. I'm calling it now - we beat OU this year. Feel free to mock me but I think this team will surprise a lot of folks.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
What are one or two things (final record aside) that will make you a happy supporter of ISU football this year?

To answer this question for myself I am torn between two things.

• Beating Iowa in Iowa City and ruining their 10-0 pipe dream
  • The defense becoming a true group of Bad A**es that no one has ever heard of

Will either of these happen ... who knows. But if they do I will be one happy camper. :v_SPIN:

I'm with you on the defense - I love me some defensive football. And if that were to happen I think we'd all be very happy with the final record.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Haha everyone keeps talking I want x number of wins. We all want wins. I was trying to get into more details around what you'd really like to see this year. Maybe things like:

-Play calling philosophy
-Individual player performance
-Game day interactions
-Uniforms
-Team you really want to beat (Know that's a win bit it is more than saying I want to win X games)

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Couple of things that would make me ecstatic but will probably not happen:

- Go undefeated at home
- Not get sucker-punched by the refs even ONCE all year (this is nearly impossible for any team, not just ISU)

More realistically - I see these as things that would make me ecstatic but have a decent shot at happening:

- Open up the season 3-0

- See a vast improvement on offense AND defense (see above)
- Beat Oklahoma

Regarding the last one - everyone seems to think that Oklahoma is going to run away with the Big XII this year. I'm not buying it. I don't think that one game by a QB makes him the next incarnation of Sam Bradford or whoever you want to pick from OU's history. I agree their defense will likely be stout (LB core especially) but heck, we could have had them last year were it not for our injuries and ineptitude on offense. I'm calling it now - we beat OU this year. Feel free to mock me but I think this team will surprise a lot of folks.

ISU isn't favored in any of their first three games. I would replace "decent shot" with a "snowballs chance in hell" and that would fit the sentence better.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Haha everyone keeps talking I want x number of wins. We all want wins. I was trying to get into more details around what you'd really like to see this year. Maybe things like:

-Play calling philosophy
-Individual player performance
-Game day interactions
-Uniforms
-Team you really want to beat (Know that's a win bit it is more than saying I want to win X games)

Woops, reading is hard. I'd like to see a couple of the young guys on defense show some All B12/NFL potential, and the WRs finally live up to the high expectations.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I'm with you on the defense - I love me some defensive football. And if that were to happen I think we'd all be very happy with the final record.

With you guys on this. Love a good D, more than a high powered O.

The thing I honestly want out of this year is just something to convince me we're headed in the right direction. We had a few bowl seasons - that's all well and good. But what has kept many hanging on IMO, is that CPR has put together some signature wins in his first few seasons. @NU, @UT, #2OSU, a couple against iowa. The first few were all milestone wins, regardless of coach.

We didin't have any of that last year. Had some good games where we couldn't seal the deal (UT, maybe TCU) - but otherwise got absolutely CRUSHED in most Oct/Nov. 3-9 is 3-9 and wins against KU, WVU & Tulsa? Not much to get hyped up over that.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
3,000+ yards passing from 1 QB
1,600+ yards rushing from 2 RB's
1,600+ yards receiving from any 2 of WRs/TEs
Member of the D with double-digits in sacks

Beat KSU & Baylor

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
An offense of any kind. Yards, first downs, and points, plz. Don't care how they're gotten.

We're long overdue for a win against KSU and cosmically overdue for a win against OU. Let's get one of those.

Stay competitive in all games and let's not have anymore 70-7s.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Be average or better at offensive 3 and out's. 49% of the time we could not get a single first down last year.

Have a positive turnover ratio. Adding to that, score a few TD's with defensive turnovers. We have done a pretty good job with this, but I'd like to see us take them to the house more often.

Not get bit with the injury bug.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Win a bowl game, much improved offense, improved defense, competitive into the 4th quarter of every game.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Hearing Sweet Caroline at the end of each home game, and at each away game too if someone's got the boom box!

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
1. Being competetive in every game. Enough with the blowouts.
2. Not being hosed by the refs a la the "non-fumble"

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
No more than one demoralizing blowout. Losing is one thing, it's the constant blowouts that really take the enjoyment out of following a team for an entire season.

2013 at a glance:
71-7
58-27
41-7
48-10

I would also throw the UNI and Iowa games into the discussion as we didn't belong on the same field as our opponent for the majority of those contests. That's half of a season's worth of more or less unwatchable football. Less of this would be a welcomed positive step.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Gonna get specific in here:

30 ppg avg. (Last time was like '76 or something like that)
3000 yd passer (Only once, Seneca '02)
1000 yd rusher (Arob '09)
1000 yd receiver (Blythe '05)
One offensive player in the top 10 in big 12 in scoring (hasn't happened since Ryan Kock in '05)
5 offensive players with 5 or more touchdowns

Greater than 25 sacks on D (Last time was '05)
Greater than 30 takeaways on D (Last time was '09, Nebraska game helped a lot)

Obviously these don't necessarily equate to wins but would all be steps in the right direction for the program.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Sorry. I really don't care about individual stats or scores if we aren't winning games.

images

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron