O'Bannon Decision-NCAA can't limit share revenue with athletes

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Re: NCAA can't limit share revenue with athletes

Your title is a little confusing, but this the Obannon case. Early reports are that the NCAA lost on prett much everything.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

How did they come up with the $5,000 limit?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Yeah, good question. I wonder if it's a minimum 5,000 for each year of eligibility or for the whole time?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

She came up with a number that could be easily challenged in future lawsuits, such that her lawyer friends can make more money.

Johnny FB could have gotten $5,000 from a few signed FB and jerseys...

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa

Sorry was having a couple when I saw this. Looks like NCAA are going to take it to the federal court.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
A trust fund will be created for athletes where they will get paid for the likeness in whatever endeavor.

What legal basis is there to support a trust fund? These athletes are generally 18 years old and considered legally to be adults for most purposes.

Also, since the judge said the NCAA is violating anti-trust laws by restricting the compensation that can be made by the athletes for their likeness, doesn't that mean the athletes will be able to sign sponsorship deals outside of the NCAA, since the NCAA can no longer restrict this?

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What legal basis is there to support a trust fund? These athletes are generally 18 years old and considered legally to be adults for most purposes.

Also, since the judge said the NCAA is violating anti-trust laws by restricting the compensation that can be made by the athletes for their likeness, doesn't that mean the athletes will be able to sign sponsorship deals outside of the NCAA, since the NCAA can no longer restrict this?

read the decision. That's exactly what the judge ruled should happen. I'd say a judge's ruling pretty well constitutes a "legal basis."

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
read the decision. That's exactly what the judge ruled should happen. I'd say a judge's ruling pretty well constitutes a "legal basis."

I did read her decision. Her ruling on the trust fund has no legal basis, which is why it will be challenged and struck down. Talked with a lawyer tonight who couldn't do much more than just laugh at the silliness and inconsistency of this ruling, and predicts that it will generate numerous lawsuits that will chip away at any limits and restrictions imposed by the ruling. Kind of what Dodd was saying.

About the only way the trust fund and any limits can remain in place is if the players unionize, and then are subject to collective bargaining (such as with pro sports). The union could then agree to limits on compensation for likeness, and it would be binding.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I did read her decision. Her ruling on the trust fund has no legal basis, which is why it will be challenged and struck down. Talked with a lawyer tonight who couldn't do much more than just laugh at the silliness and inconsistency of this ruling, and predicts that it will generate numerous lawsuits that will chip away at any limits and restrictions imposed by the ruling. Kind of what Dodd was saying.

About the only way the trust fund and any limits can remain in place is if the players unionize, and then are subject to collective bargaining (such as with pro sports). The union could then agree to limits on compensation for likeness, and it would be binding.

I don't think anyone is thinking that this ruling represents the final word on the issue of the NCAA's amateurism model. Of course there will be more lawsuits. And you're right, the numbers, the limits, the trust model, etc. will be challenged by other parties, and other courts will modify the decision.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I'd be a little ****** as a lineman blocking for a star back that was getting paid and I might not block so well if he wasn't giving me some kickbacks from the jersey sales he is profiting from secondary to my blocking. Bad decision unless they pay all. You can't just pay the stars that jerseys are sold for in a team sport!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So what if a Luca Staiger earns a little money ion the side in Germany before he comes to America to join a team who are being paid $5000 a year to go to school. Will he be banned ands punished while others in US are getting more money by just going to school? Just asking.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'd be a little ****** as a lineman blocking for a star back that was getting paid and I might not block so well if he wasn't giving me some kickbacks from the jersey sales he is profiting from secondary to my blocking. Bad decision unless they pay all. You can't just pay the stars that jerseys are sold for in a team sport!

I think the jersey sales could be expanded to include linemen numbers, except who wants to walk around in a gigantic jersey of a lineman.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Did the other US male Olympic swimmers not give it their all in the 4 X 100 medley, to spite Michael Phelps and his endorsements?

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
well, this is the final (or possibly was the first depending on when you think it started) nail in the NCAA's coffin. Power 5 are "breaking off", paying "full cost" to athletes, allow "amateur" athletes to get paid -> I think it's suffice to say the NCAA is pretty much a shell of its former self and marked for a slow death.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
It will be interesting to see where this ends up in 5 years. I can see how this might widen a gap between the Power 5 teams but also between the Power 5 and everyone else. Should give is a leg up on the Houston, Rice, SMU, UCF, USFs of the world. Would be nice to snag some of the athletes they get. Maybe that would help us in the long run.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron