What do you think Mangino will do on offense?

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa
I've been wondering ever since the spring game ended: how will Mangino run the offense. I have heard that during the spring game, he only used like 10% out of his playbook which is getting me excited! didn't know if any of you would have any ideas what his plan are.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I hope that he feels we have the personnel to be able to throw the ball deep.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I've been wondering ever since the spring game ended: how will Mangino run the offense. I have heard that during the spring game, he only used like 10% out of his playbook which is getting me excited! didn't know if any of you would have any ideas what his plan are.

I am not a fan of a huge playbook- unless they only did 2-3 plays the entire spring game. Why not have 10 plays you do to perfection instead of having 50 that you can do ok? I think that you can get a ton more potential used out of your team when you can do a few things really well instead of a lot of things ok.

cyclonefan59

Jul 3, 2006
Clarksville, Tn

From what I have head, he I going to run a more simple offense, but we are going to be better at it. The receivers will run more precise routes and the qb must be more accurate in their throws.

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
Run first pistol offense I have heard. Lots of quick screens. Probably won't really utilize the TE much.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I hope he keeps the Iowa State tradition of throwing back to back bubble screens and then running the ball and then utilizing Downing.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
1st & 10- WR screen . Poorly blocked =2 yd loss
2nd and 12- Zone read for 2 yard gain
3rd and 10- 4 Wide outs + Empty backfield. QB rushed , hastily dumps slant pass over middle - caught for 2 yd gain.
4th and 8 - punt.

Oh wait........... that was our last Offensive Coordinator game plan.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If history repeats, Mark will run the ball first to set up his short passing game. He tends not to go down the field, like say BU or K-State. He's conservative in that way. And you may see some option. He'll want to see if he can intimidate you rather than trick you. It's just his personality. He's a mean SOB and that gets reflected in his play calling. A solid offensive line is critical.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Makes me want to go back and re-watch a few of his Oklahoma and Kansas games to get an idea of what to expect.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines

I am hoping that we see offense similar to how Sam Richardson played against KU in 2012, but against teams that are better than KU (WVU, TCU, KState, Iowa, Okie State, etc).