Dom DeLira Commits

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I don't think we will have to worry about that for a bit since his son is barely qualified for his job right now. (Not that he won't be good at it, he just doesn't have any prior experience).

I doubt a major college would let Mangino make his son OC after just two years of coaching.

You never know with Mangenious at the helm to help out...stranger things have happened.

Major Applewhite had 1 year as a QB coach before he got his first OC job at Rice...and Kingsbury only had 1 year as an assistant before he got a co-OC gig at Houston.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
[/B]

You never know with Mangenious at the helm to help out...stranger things have happened.

Major Applewhite had 1 year as a QB coach before he got his first OC job at Rice...and Kingsbury only had 1 year as an assistant before he got a co-OC gig at Houston.

Agreed. I guess I defined major college differently than you. I think if Mangino leaves it will be to be coach at a program of equal or better standing than ISU and in a Power 5 conference.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So stoked for DeLira committing. 2-year starter as QB in 5A HS football in Texas & Lake Travis' 5th straight QB to go D-1. Very impressive.

He already looks pretty polished for a High School QB, and he's only a junior. He should be a good one. Getting him to commit so early is really impressive, especially since there was stiff competition for the scholarship.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
[/B]

Poor Major Applewhite..... He got benched after a great freshman season for..... Phil Sims' son.

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
I think if Mangino leaves it will be to be coach at a program of equal or better standing than ISU and in a Power 5 conference.

I dont. I believe he would have to go to a mid major or a good 1AA first. His baggage would be alot for a program to take on.

For example, No way ISU hires him as HC if PR takes a different job.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I dont. I believe he would have to go to a mid major or a good 1AA first. His baggage would be alot for a program to take on.

I wouldn't say no way. Things can change fast.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I couldn't disagree more. Mangino is probably two to three times more qualified to be a head coach than CPR.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Manginos outstanding resume as a coordinator and his success at Kansas are much, much more than CPR has ever done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a CPR guy and I think he is the right guy for ISU, but Manginos resume is insane. And he has shown his offensive genius at every stop he has been to. If car bolts mangino is a no brainer.

LesGoCY

Feb 7, 2014
He already looks pretty polished for a High School QB, and he's only a junior. He should be a good one. Getting him to commit so early is really impressive, especially since there was stiff competition for the scholarship.

June is no longer early in the recruiting process for a QB.

44 of the top 50 QBs had already committed, and it is pretty obvious where the 6 that haven't committed yet are heading. Don't mean to be a downer, but the Cyclones have another 2Star QB that isn't in the top 100.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&pid=10&yr=2015

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
which makes him 2 to 3 times more qualified than cpr.

Your opinion on this subject is worthless.

Manginos outstanding resume as a coordinator and his success at Kansas are much, much more than CPR has ever done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a CPR guy and I think he is the right guy for ISU, but Manginos resume is insane. And he has shown his offensive genius at every stop he has been to. If car bolts mangino is a no brainer.

And Rhoads didn't have a great resume as a coordinator? Mangino's career record is 50-48. Take out the 12-1 season and it's nothing more than Rhoads has done. He never beat Texas, OU, or TTU. He also coached when there were 2 divisions, 8 conference games, and only had to play OU and UT 2 of 4 years. Plus there's the whole rage issue, the weight, the NCAA penalties while at Kansas.

If he is so much more qualified, why isn't he a head coach now?

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009

And Rhoads didn't have a great resume as a coordinator? Mangino's career record is 50-48. Take out the 12-1 season and it's nothing more than Rhoads has done. He never beat Texas, OU, or TTU. He also coached when there were 2 divisions, 8 conference games, and only had to play OU and UT 2 of 4 years. Plus there's the whole rage issue, the weight, the NCAA penalties while at Kansas.

You can't just randomly take out a season to fit your argument.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

Because a new AD came in and got him kicked out for yelling at players.

I am 100% confident that there are many, many CFB coaches that have said and done far worse than Mangino, but he used the negative PR to get rid of him and insert his own guy. And we know how that worked out for him with Turner Gill. Obviously not a smart guy.

Rhoads was a good defensive coordinater, but be honest with yourself, what were the top reasons he was picked for ISU?

1. From Ankeny and won't immediately bolt
2. Great passion and motivation
3. Pretty good resume as coordinator.

Mangino is a freaking offensive genius. If he was given the chance to coach Texas/USC/Alabama level recruits he'd be one of the top coaches in the country.

Last edited: