WHO-TV's Sonya Heitshusen & Eric Wheater arrested for OWI

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Given she's kind of their crack investigative reporter, this does kinda tarnish her credibility a bit in the future when she's coming down holier than thou on someone during an interview. I mean, how do you ask the "shouldn't you have known better?" or "what were you thinking?" type of questions now?

...and she is 47? Hard to blame on being young and stupid....

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Sonya Heitshusen drinks? No way.

Looks like Erik Wheater knows how to have a good time on his weekend off.

Not all business fire you because you get an OWI. If they were driving a company car drunk then yes, but they were on their own time.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
I agree to an extent. If WHO is going to report OWI's of other public figures, they should do it when their own do the same thing.

It would really be something to watch them do the story themselves..

"In other news, I was arrested this weekend. For any more on this story, contact my attorney."

Or turn it into an investigative story about what spending a night in jail is like.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Only partially kidding. If it something known and reported on by others, why not do it yourself? Own your mistake, get out an apology and move on.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
It would really be something to watch them do the story themselves..

"In other news, I am a dumbarse. For any more on this story, contact my attorney, who will be paid royally to cover the turd I laid this weekend."

Or turn it into an investigative story about how humiliating it is to be treated like a common criminal when I'm so used to being treated like a STAR.

Fixed for higher 'true life' and entertainment value.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I'm sure it is just indepth investigative journalism for a huge story she is doing. She'll be a shoo in for a Pulitzer.

Why do people have to post crap like this? The person in question happens to be a local celebrity that, to my knowledge, has done no one harm but herself. Do you check the papers everyday to see if there is anyone you can insult? Do you get joy out of other's misfortunes? If so, that's very sad.

Hopefully, this incident will help a her in the long run, and hopefully, she won't encounter many others like you.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Why do people have to post crap like this? The person in question happens to be a local celebrity that, to my knowledge, has done no one harm but herself. Do you check the papers everyday to see if there is anyone you can insult? Do you get joy out of other's misfortunes? If so, that's very sad.

Hopefully, this incident will help a her in the long run, and hopefully, she won't encounter many others like you.

Oh come on. Sonya herself is an investigative journalist. It is her job to dig up dirt on anyone she can to exploit their misfortunes to Channel 13 viewing audience. Channel 13's failure to report this incident is the definition of hypocritical.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Any ISU athlete would be on channel 13 in a second with the same charges. I would say the news people deserve equal coverage.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Any ISU athlete would be on channel 13 in a second with the same charges. I would say the news people deserve equal coverage.

That is a very fair point.

I was surprised they didn't at least do a routine "Two of our anchors were arrested in the last two days for alleged DUI. The information is being reviewed by management and blah blah blah" type of statement. I remember when Erin's husband was arrested, they reported, but that was likely not because of his wife, but his affiliation as a Dem chair or whatever he was?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That is a very fair point.

I was surprised they didn't at least do a routine "Two of our anchors were arrested in the last two days for alleged DUI. The information is being reviewed by management and blah blah blah" type of statement. I remember when Erin's husband was arrested, they reported, but that was likely not because of his wife, but his affiliation as a Dem chair or whatever he was?

...and Sonya was the one who brought us that news.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

except this was drunk driving. She could have killed someone over her stupidity. And since she was caught, I highly doubt this was her first time getting behind the wheel when she shouldn't have. A forty-seven year old woman who probably reports on drunk driving deaths every damn week should know better. I don't have any pity for the fact that's she's a local celebrity. That just makes it worse, imo. She deserves to be put through the wringer for it.

Last edited:

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
You guys really think any company would publicize that one of their employees was caught drinking and driving? Of course WHO would never report on it. They're trying to duck under the covers because of of their employees spread a bad light on the station. Call it hypocrisy if you want, but that's the way it is. And I think most employers that are in the public light would try to do the same thing.

And if you really think local tv personalities are treated like celebrities, you are way off.

Too bad they both made the decisions they did, putting lives at risk. Hopefully they both learn from the situation and don't end up losing their jobs over this. My employer made it known at the time of hiring that we would no longer be part of the company in the event of this situation.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They rarely do except politicians and even that is minimal. More the rag that reports on everyone.

Exactly, these are private employees who just happen to live a public life. I can't think of a non public employee (you can argue where athletes fit on another thread) that has had a crime like this publicized on TV. Maybe if there was an accident or other crimes associated with it (Steve Lubke).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't see it as a big deal. Hundreds of people get arrested for DUI/OWI everyday/night and they don't report each of them. They made a mistake move on and learn. I can't believe some people actually think they should get fired, I have worked with numerous coworkers and bosses that have had DUI/OWI's and nothing ever happened to them.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
except this was drunk driving. She could have killed someone over her stupidity. And since she was caught, I highly doubt this was her first time getting behind the wheel when she shouldn't have. A forty-seven year old woman who probably reports on drunk driving deaths every damn week should know better. I don't have any pity for the fact that's she's a local celebrity. That just makes it worse, imo. She deserves to be put through the wringer for it.

I was going to post along these lines, myself. The possibility of her doing great harm to someone else was greater than playing with a loaded gun (or running with scissors), hence, she was stopped. If she was just at home getting blasted - there's no issue.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Exactly, these are private employees who just happen to live a public life. I can't think of a non public employee (you can argue where athletes fit on another thread) that has had a crime like this publicized on TV. Maybe if there was an accident or other crimes associated with it (Steve Lubke).

I get this line of thinking but I've seen "prominent attorney gets OWI" or similar stories. Just yesterday WHO-TV's website had a "local architect in trouble for being a slumloard" article on it. So they do report on prominent people in town.

TV stations (and all media) like to sensationalize the news, reporting on scandals, deaths, murders, etc. And whether they like it or not, this is local news IMO.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Somebody should send in Sonya's mugshot with some other picture for lookalikes on Soundoff.

Sure, they won't air it, but I bet Murph, Andy & B-Ross would get a good laugh out of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron