OT: Sequels that are better than the first movie

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Talk over the weekend with friends about movie sequels that are better than the first movie. Can be trilogies, etc.

Mine:

Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum better than Bourne Idenity (which is still great)

The Dark Knight better than Batman Begins (love Batman Begins though)

Godfather Part II better than Godfather

Terminator 2 better than Terminator

Toy Story 3 over Toy Story 2 and 1

One I debate all the time is Aliens over Alien but I can't. I love them both equally.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
X2 was better than X-Men
If you count it as a trilogy The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is better than the other two man with no name movies.
Star Trek II is ridiculously better than the original Star Trek movie.
I'd also argue the new Star Trek Into Darkness reboot is better than the original reboot but not as drastic.

Some will say Aliens over Alien, but no way, they're different but nothing in the genre is clearly better or more influential than the orginal. Same with Star Wars and ESB.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Empire Strikes Back
I think all the Harry Potter films got better as it went on for the most part.
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd say that Empire is better than ANH. Also Aliens is better than Alien. I won't agree on LOTR. I thought that the first movie was the best.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The Dark Knight. As much as I love Batman Begins as well as The Dark Knight Rises, there is no doubt this one is the gem of the series. Heath Ledger as the Joker is my all-time favorite acting job ever.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
X2 was better than X-Men
If you count it as a trilogy The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is better than the other two man with no name movies.
Star Trek II is ridiculously better than the original Star Trek movie.
I'd also argue the new Star Trek Into Darkness reboot is better than the original reboot but not as drastic.

Some will say Aliens over Alien, but no way, they're different but nothing in the genre is clearly better or more influential than the orginal. Same with Star Wars and ESB.

Disagree! The reboot was a good ride and made me optimistic about getting some fun Trek movies for the first time since the original cast hung it up for good. Into Darkness was just a slog that suffered from today's "dark"=good trend.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Disagree! The reboot was a good ride and made me optimistic about getting some fun Trek movies for the first time since the original cast hung it up for good. Into Darkness was just a slog that suffered from today's "dark"=good trend.

I think i like my Star Trek dark. To me the best entertainment with str trek attached to it was the TNG story of fighting off the Borg. I also like Star Trek II the best of ots cast and into darkness is a bit of a pseudo remake.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think i like my Star Trek dark. To me the best entertainment with str trek attached to it was the TNG story of fighting off the Borg. I also like Star Trek II the best of ots cast and into darkness is a bit of a pseudo remake.

There's dark because you've got a story to tell and dark because The Dark Knight made a bunch of money and that's what the nerd's like now. Into Darkness felt too much the latter for my taste.

And being a pseudo-remake of Khan isn't really a plus in my book. I don't think it was some sacred movie that could never be touched or re-done, but if they were going to call it back in such a lazy way, they shouldn't have even bothered, imo.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I thought Winter Soldier was a better all around movie than the first Captain America, and I really had a lot of fun at the first one.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo
If you think the original was cheese, this is over the top. I will say, the first one does a great job capturing the best of the mid-80s venice beach theme. Except the "bad guys" are just dancers, not gun carrying thugs.
OFF TOPIC: There are some GREAT movies in that era like Rad (BMX bike movie) and Thrashin (skateboarding). Our local gas station probably had less than 50 movies to rent, so between those two and Karate Kid, I was set. :smile: