Seattle Vacation

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Going to Seattle in September. Never been there. Where in Seattle should I stay hotel-wise? Where should I avoid? Any recommendations on things to do? Will be there for 1 week.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Love Seattle, how much you wanting to spend a night at a hotel?

Piroshky Piroshky is some great street food located near the market.

EMP Museum is a must: http://www.empmuseum.org/

We really liked the Aquarium. I didn't think I would before going there, but it was really interesting.

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Also go to Pie Bar. It's a little hole in the wall place (can't sit more than like 12). Great pies, great pot pies, and good drinks. Can't pass up Moonshine Moscow Mules.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Love Seattle, how much you wanting to spend a night at a hotel?

Piroshky Piroshky is some great street food located near the market.

EMP Museum is a must: http://www.empmuseum.org/

We really liked the Aquarium. I didn't think I would before going there, but it was really interesting.

I seriously don't know jack squat about seattle right now. When you say by the market are you talking about Pike market?

As far as hotel, probably want to keep it around $100 or lower a night...and of course I'd like to be close to where there are a lot of things to do...

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you don't know the place or have never been there before, you have to do the Space Needle, just because it's the iconic "Seattle" thing to do. In that vein, the Pike Place Market is another iconic/touristy thing to do.

Honestly, though, there are a lot of little hole-in-the-wall places to go and things to do in the city. Take in a Mariners game (they're actually not bad this year!) or visit Mt. Rainier to do some hiking. There are a bunch of things that you'd never guess that are actually a lot of fun.

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
I seriously don't know jack squat about seattle right now. When you say by the market are you talking about Pike market?

As far as hotel, probably want to keep it around $100 or lower a night...and of course I'd like to be close to where there are a lot of things to do...

I live in Seattle and September is a great time to visit, but if you want to actually be in Seattle, you won't get a room for under $100. You may be about 10-15 miles outside of the city, not sure if you down for that or not. On a budget, I would check out airbnb.com, you can usually find some nice spots there that are actually in the neighborhoods, which are a better representation of Seattle than the downtown area (good neighborhoods include Ballard - many breweries, Fremont - artists neighborhood, Capitol Hil - very hip/good restaurants and bars).

Let me know if you have specific questions

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Should I look in the downtown area for a hotel? Just trying to get an idea of where I should stay that will keep me close to a lot of things. Hope to be within walking distance of a few cool places...

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The Boeing tour is awesome, although I probably got to see a lot more than the regular public tour.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I live in Seattle and September is a great time to visit, but if you want to actually be in Seattle, you won't get a room for under $100. You may be about 10-15 miles outside of the city, not sure if you down for that or not. On a budget, I would check out airbnb.com, you can usually find some nice spots there that are actually in the neighborhoods, which are a better representation of Seattle than the downtown area (good neighborhoods include Ballard - many breweries, Fremont - artists neighborhood, Capitol Hil - very hip/good restaurants and bars).

Let me know if you have specific questions

Good to know. I suppose I could go over $100...but don't want to go crazy with price. So lets say I'm not really on a budget, but price conscious, where is a good location to stay at?

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
Should I look in the downtown area for a hotel? Just trying to get an idea of where I should stay that will keep me close to a lot of things. Hope to be within walking distance of a few cool places...

Like I said - I highly doubt you get a hotel for $100 you feel comfortable in somewhere in downtown. But if you do want that, you can get to Pike Place Market, core shopping district, Seattle Center (EMP, Needle, pac science center) and the stadiums via walking from downtown. The M's and Seahawk's stadiums are right next to each other just south of downtown and are both awesome -clearly the Clink held rank this past year.

Reactions: Cyclonesince78

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
Good to know. I suppose I could go over $100...but don't want to go crazy with price. So lets say I'm not really on a budget, but price conscious, where is a good location to stay at?

How many people will you be with? Depending on that, I'd start looking at Airbnb or vrbo. It wouldn't surprise me to see the main hotel chains (Marriott/Hilton etc) at around 175+ that time of year. It really is the best time to visit - there will be no rain. I'd recommend trying to get out of the city for at least a day and do a hike in the Cascades (Mt. Rainier) or take a ferry to the peninsula or go up to San Juans (although for a day trip, Whidbey Island is great).

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
How many people will you be with? Depending on that, I'd start looking at Airbnb or vrbo. It wouldn't surprise me to see the main hotel chains (Marriott/Hilton etc) at around 175+ that time of year. It really is the best time to visit - there will be no rain. I'd recommend trying to get out of the city for at least a day and do a hike in the Cascades (Mt. Rainier) or take a ferry to the peninsula or go up to San Juans (although for a day trip, Whidbey Island is great).

Good stuff man, appreciate it. I checked out that airbnd site....not a bad idea at all to try to rent out a house. Right now we just have 2 going.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Pike Place Market was pretty cool. I also did the space needle while I was there. If you can I'd try to get out of the city and go hiking one day, especially if you've never been to the pacific northwest. Very, very cool terrain. My siblings and parents ran a marathon up in Port Angeles and the olypic peninsula was incredibly scenic. I didn't get a chance to go up into olympic park but even from a distance the views were amazing.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The 5 Points Bar is close to the Space Needle. Cold beer and a fun crowd.

I couldn't find the Space Needle until I used the can. Check it out and you'll know why.

The tour of the Seattle underground is interesting and the Metropolitan Grill was fantastic.

I really enjoyed my time there

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
If you decide to go the cheap hotel out of the city route, make sure you find a place near a Sounder (light rail) station. It will drop you off downtown right next to The Clink. You can walk to a lot of the touristy attractions from there, and possibly take the monorail or taxis to Seattle Center/elsewhere. Are you renting a car? If so, this info is obsolete. There are places to park almost everywhere but it's a pain in the *** sometimes.

If you're renting a car I'd recommend driving around and getting lost in the city for a day, or get out of the city and enjoy the beautiful scenery as others have said. Rainier will be a full day trip pretty much though so be prepared for that.

Don't underestimate the surrounding neighborhoods. There is cool stuff to be experienced all over the city. If you're into college campuses, UW is beautiful and it's right on the lake.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The Mulkilteo ferry to Whidbey is my favorite ferry ride, and Whidbey is a beautiful island but you DO have to drive up there to catch the ferry. You can walk onto ferries at the terminal on the waterfront. We like to ride over to Bremerton...takes you past the Naval shipyards by way of a couple of inland passages in Puget Sound. If you're interested in a little history about Seattle's roots, take the underground seattle tour. It starts in a storefront on Pioneer Square...takes you literally underground to the early structures that modern Seattle rests on. Point Defiance down by Tacoma is a nice waterfront park. If you're interested in alternative living space, check out the houseboats on Lake Union. Some pretty impressive "boats" there. If you have kids with you, Ye Olde Curiosity Shop on the waterfront is a fun place to go. Make sure you stop and see Sylvester while you're there.

Someone else mentioned going to Rainier & hiking around. It's cool & all, but I like the Olympics better. On the very tip of the Olympic peninsula is a great park, Cape Alava. Hike about two miles from the parking (mostly flat) and you're at the Ocean. Try to time it for low tide if you go. And that holds true if you go to any beach area on the Sound or out on the coast. The tide pools are a blast. :)

For food, Dungeness Crab, and FRESH salmon. Once you've had fresh salmon you'll laugh at what they serve here in the midwest.

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
As far as activities - I'm actually getting married out here in August and prepared a google maps for my wedding website of things I think my guests woudl enjoy (most are either family or twenty something year olds, for reference). Here is a link to it - it is coded by color for different activities - eg: yellow=parks/things to see, green = my favorite food and purple for drinking. Orange is Woodinville, which is the wine country so to speak.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zKuLbAdsDWtA.k7KrfRdkmWCw

Another thing to note is that UW's campus was designed by the same person that designed ISU's campus (granted there is a little more natural beauty to work with out here), if you are into that sort of thing. UW football is always fun and will be occurring in September as well. Tailgating on boats is a little different than the grass fields of Jack Trice.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron