Next Big Facility Upgrade

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Now that the South Endzone plans are set in stone; what is the next big facility upgrade at Iowa State?

Ideas (in no particular order, and not limited to):
1) Hilton Renovation
2) New Suite/Press Tower from endzone to endzone
3) North Endzone
4) Smaller gym for Wrestling/Volleyball/Hockey/Gymnastics

Hilton needs maintenance not renovation.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I guess I didn't realize we were suffering so bad in BBall.

And it really seems that that "need" to do many of these facility "upgrades" is driven not by competitiveness, but rather by fans desire..

Although I do admit - as someone pointed out - the exterior of Hilton, specifically the walkways, are in dire need of repair. Things like that I can get behind.

But I go back 25 years of this stuff - and some of the ideas floated about (widening the concourse, adding luxury suites and that type of stuff) are just dumb IMO.

The plans (I believe under BVD, maybe JP) for suites involved eliminating the inner concourse and having to move the steps to the upper deck to be accessible from the outer concourse. Can you imagine how horrid that would be?

I think what makes Hilton so special and daunting is that it's still just a basketball arena. Not a spectacle. Same with Phog Allen.

We have a scoreboard (that actually has a score), a nice ribbon board for stats, two baskets and a wooden floor. And in the end, a kick-*** basketball team.

= Happy.

You obviously don't pay attention to college athletics.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Don't care. Nothing is wrong with Hilton

Hilton > Chrisler Arena

Why do we have to mess with everything? This fan-base is the epitome of never-freaking-happy.

Again, caviar appetite on taco truck budget.

In fact - I don't see a thing on that list that is any sort of priority. Perhaps a renovation of the pressbox - but in no way, shape or form end-to-end.

Volleyball owns Hilton now that bball has their own facility. Wrestling has their own recently renovated space in Lied.

Why does the AD care about hockey?

As for the NEZ - let's get the SEZ done and see if it gets and stays filled.

Step aside bc at some point the first three things on his list will probably get done. Hilton is great, but there are things they can do to improve the atmosphere and increase revenue.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The plans (I believe under BVD, maybe JP) for suites involved eliminating the inner concourse and having to move the steps to the upper deck to be accessible from the outer concourse. Can you imagine how horrid that would be?

Not it sure I would call that horrid.

There are other options, such as creating a platform in place of a few of the top rows of seats in order to create some luxury boxes. Close a vending station (or move it outside the outer concourse) so that the area could be used as a private lounge by the luxury suite occupants. Like it or not, we are moving upscale (as evidenced by the 3000 seats in Jack Trice for $750 + donation).

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Back in 2007, the athletic department released their plans for a practice facility adjacent to Hilton. While ultimately that was scrapped in favor of the Sukup facility, there were some very nice improvements to the plaza between the Hilton parking lots and the coliseum that haven't happened yet.

I'd love to see that area get an update to make it more of a "front door" to the coliseum. That whole area between the parking lots and the coliseum/Scheman building/CY Stephens could use a re-think.

LWCIKOOLVMBCBZG.20070202151230.jpg

KQOQRZMMIGKXIEJ.20070202151223.jpg

XBZSYKMUSXBQWJV.20070202151218.jpg

RQVJZSMRNMERUTY.20070202151220.jpg

CFHURFCJHJLUQOT.20070202151226.jpg

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i'm picturing that awesome practice facility next to hilton underwater right now

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I still wish the basketball practice facility was closer to campus. I'm glad the facility out west was built to be sold as a retail-type use in the event that the basketball team moves closer to campus.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I still wish the basketball practice facility was closer to campus. I'm glad the facility out west was built to be sold as a retail-type use in the event that the basketball team moves closer to campus.

I guess that depends on where the basketball players live. I honestly don't know but if most/all live out west then that seems like a good location. Definitely doesn't need to be right next to Hilton.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Any particular reason why? It's not like they are going to let the students or fans show up and shoot hoops with the players and watch movies with the staff in the film room whenever they feel like it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'd like to see our Football Press Box redone and made lots bigger with a bunch of suites added, but I doubt that will be next in line. From a using money to add sports, my vote is for adding a sand volleyball team, which would be a fairly minimal increase in expenses.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Wow - interesting retort. Care to add something worthwhile?

Basically, the term "pressbox" isn't really reality at many stadiums anymore. Its all about having a tower full of suites with space for press at the top. The money K-State is making off of suites compared to regular season ticket holders is a pretty big difference.

In regards to Hilton, suites are an inevitability in terms of revenue. Keeping top coaches and staying in the "arms race" requires corporate sponsors to be pampered to with suites, club sections, etc.

CloneFan85

Jun 7, 2011
Osage, Iowa
I hope suites are never added to Hilton. A freshen up to the exterior and concourse is fine, as well as ceiling repair. Suites have been on the drawing board since Max Uric was AD in the 1980's. In my opinion it would water down the atmosphere tremendously.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I hope suites are never added to Hilton. A freshen up to the exterior and concourse is fine, as well as ceiling repair. Suites have been on the drawing board since Max Uric was AD in the 1980's. In my opinion it would water down the atmosphere tremendously.

If not suites (which I understand to be enclosed rooms with amenities in them), how about luxury boxes on a platform instead of the last few rows of the lower level? That seems to be a much more minor project that could be turned into a big revenue generator. The private amenities could be put in a vending area on the concourse.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I haven't been in Hilton in a couple of years, but if the missing boards in the ceiling you are talking about are in long rows there is a reason for that. Hilton was built without provisions for rigging off of the steel. Without removing those boards you wouldn't have ever seen concerts at Hilton. If you are talking about something else, please explain.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I think adding state of the art living quarters for all athletes should be next. Now that they need 24 hour food service and snacks, it would be a good time. Include 24 hour private transportation to athletic practice facilities, bars, and class.