Next Big Facility Upgrade

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
1. I would just replace all of the seats at JTS with benches with seat backs. All new seating would look pretty sweet. Estimated cost $2M
2. Press box - make it half as tall, but three times as wide. That would go pretty much the length of the field. ~$35M
3. Widen the concourses in Hilton, adding glass out to the columns. ~$30M
4. New MBB/WBB practice facility attached to Hilton. Move VB and Wrestling to Sukup. ~$40M
5. NEZ - Connect the east and west stands with permanent stands the height of the Jacobson balcony. Team would have a tunnel to run through to enter the field. You'd have to put up a big retaining wall to keep the hillsides, but that's not impossible. ~$20M

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Who cares about the color if it's this full because we can't win?? I think we need to slow our roll...

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
1. I would just replace all of the seats at JTS with benches with seat backs. All new seating would look pretty sweet. Estimated cost $2M
2. Press box - make it half as tall, but three times as wide. That would go pretty much the length of the field. ~$35M
3. Widen the concourses in Hilton, adding glass out to the columns. ~$30M
4. New MBB/WBB practice facility attached to Hilton. Move VB and Wrestling to Sukup. ~$40M
5. NEZ - Connect the east and west stands with permanent stands the height of the Jacobson balcony. Team would have a tunnel to run through to enter the field. You'd have to put up a big retaining wall to keep the hillsides, but that's not impossible. ~$20M

Never going to see the practice facility move next to Hilton. Sorry.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Who cares about the color if it's this full because we can't win?? I think we need to slow our roll...

Rhoads has said many times, recruits eat with their eyes and recruits get shown the stadium on non game days, they get shown an empty stadium on their visits.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Rhoads has said many times, recruits eat with their eyes and recruits get shown the stadium on non game days, they get shown an empty stadium on their visits.

Well hopefully they keep the scoreboards turned off and not show then the previous games score

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
1. New Football Pressbox
2. Renovated and expanded concourse at Hilton
3. Volleyball/Wresting practice facility

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Photo from opening day for the stadium:

F2A4FC27427202269493_w.jpg

Post SEZ, it is crazy this is even the same stadium.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If we're serious about making Final Fours or winning a national championship in basketball we should build a luxury hotel for basketball like Kansas and Kentucky did.

Obviously you can do those things without it, but it's one more thing we're going to be competing against. It kind of disgusts me but the NCAA doesn't see it as cheating for players to live in a luxury condo with their own personal chef on staff. I mean you have Shabaz Napier talking about how he can't eat some nights, then you have Kentucky players who go downstairs and tell their chef to make them whatever they feel like for dinner. On a long enough timeline that's going to equate to top recruits, wins and championships when some teams have it and some don't.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Never going to see the practice facility move next to Hilton. Sorry.

Never is a long freaking time. I'd say it is more likely than not to happen. But, it may be 30 years until it does.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Never is a long freaking time. I'd say it is more likely than not to happen. But, it may be 30 years until it does.

I just dont see the point.

Its near where most of the students live now, and i dont see many athletes wanting to live in MWL or old RCA anytime soon or even in the distant future. Its more beneficial to have it near them where they can go to work anytime day or night than it is to have it next to the arena

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Its near where most of the students live now, and i dont see many athletes wanting to live in MWL or old RCA anytime soon or even in the distant future. Its more beneficial to have it near them where they can go to work anytime day or night than it is to have it next to the arena

Need to build the "Hilton Hilton" of residence halls as part of the Iowa State Center.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Would really love to see these two suite/press towers on the west and east sides of Jack Trice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WK1Bt8f.jpg
    WK1Bt8f.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 394
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 387

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014

Agree. keep it in a newer area of town. Also probably makes gameday a little more special. Id like to see more business in general on the west side. I assume those are more apartments going up by the sd and lincoln way kum and go

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
More than a small gym for competition if love to have a sukup type facility for volleyball and wrestling b

Quite a few schools have alternative arenas (5-7k seats) for the wrestling, hockey & volleyball type sports. I have a feeling the Armory has passed the point of no return for retrofitting back into sports use, but something similar to that size. This small arena could double up as more practice space for the athletic department.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron