Looks like Farniok and Rohach will be wearing Riddell's new helmet...

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
"But Riddell has quietly been making the SpeedFlex available to NFL teams and several top college football programs."

heard it here first kids! We've made it to the top!

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
"But Riddell has quietly been making the SpeedFlex available to NFL teams and several top college football programs."

heard it hear first kids! We've made it to the top!
Lol, when I read that I was like...wut?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Top%20Men.gif

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Speaking of helmets, our helmet has been displayed on SVP & Russillo twice within the last week. SIAP

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The flex panel looks okay on our helmets, but it really clashes with the longhorns on the Texas helmet.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I'm curious how they plan to change the laws of physics inside the helmet to help players' brains not hit their skulls at impact.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I'm curious how they plan to change the laws of physics inside the helmet to help players' brains not hit their skulls at impact.

Longer contact = reduced force. I don't remember the exact laws behind it, but spreading the force over a longer period of time would reduce the force exerted on the object (brain). Something like that.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Longer contact = reduced force. I don't remember the exact laws behind it, but spreading the force over a longer period of time would reduce the force exerted on the object (brain). Something like that.

I definitely understand the theory behind it, but I'm not sure that the .X(0)1 of a second is going to make any meaningful impact. Seems kind of like tapping your brakes just before hitting a telephone pole.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
I definitely understand the theory behind it, but I'm not sure that the .X(0)1 of a second is going to make any meaningful impact. Seems kind of like tapping your brakes just before hitting a telephone pole.

Probably won't make a major impact in the amount of concussions, but if it can cut out a few concussions here and there during a season, the new technology is doing its job.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010

Yeah which means a larger helmet. Unfortunately that probably would cause more torque transferred to the neck. Should probably make everyone wear that Don Beebe helmet padding over their helmets for starters.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FZPMYc0uddk/SyPnFt0MfQI/AAAAAAAAApE/cg1EVoLYUBI/s1600-h/lindroshelmet.jpg

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
It's supposed to spread the force of a blow to the front of the head throughout the foam in the helmet so that the forehead doesn't take the direct impact...and the facemask is kind of a shock absorber.

This is from a Yahoo article on the helmet:

Case said two of the highlights of the helmet are what Riddell calls The Flex System, which is used on the facemask, and the Composite Energy Management materials used on the inside of the helmet.
“There’s a little cutout in front of the helmet that kind of gives a little bit and there’s some thick foam right behind that that rests on your forehead,” Case said. “When you take a blow from someone, your helmet is moving forward and you take that blow on the front of the helmet, that little piece gives just a little bit and disperses all that shock from the hit throughout that foam so that it’s not directly going straight onto your forehead.
“They also have four quick release points on the helmet and there’s no screwdown posts on the front of the helmet at the nose bumper. There’s nothing there so that if you do take a hard shot there you don’t have the post from the screwdown thing going straight into your forehead. And the way this facemask is built, when you take a direct blow in the front of the helmet, it gives just a little bit and bows out so that it disperses all that force and pressure before it gets to your head.
“If you see a standard helmet, you see the screwdown posts at the top of the helmet, right in the front, right above your eyes. And they’re trying to take that away because that’s where a lot of the bad hits happen that help cause concussions. So, they’re taking that whole factor out of the process. So, between that with the facemask and the flex technology right on the top of the helmet shell, they’re thinking that’s going to be a significant reduction in the amount of concussions you see.”

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
They should make a helmet that's just open on the top, make some real consequences for leading with the crown of your helmet.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Probably won't make a major impact in the amount of concussions, but if it can cut out a few concussions here and there during a season, the new technology is doing its job.

Yes, I'm quite sure it will rake in millions. I've got no doubt of that.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Flex is good, but I am skeptical of a panel you can move with thumb force.:skeptical:

My thoughts too. The next step is that is sounds like they addressed it by modifying the padding underneath that panel. It is more of a rubber compound that would try to spread the force more than just traditional padding alone. Personally, I don't know if this is a "game changer" but I'm excited to see developments and am interested to see how this develops.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron