Twister Sister Summary - ladies win scorathon in Jayhawk land

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Another big game and the defense was on early as the sisters got two quick KU turnovers and turned them into points. It was close early with ISU hanging with KU behind 10-7 after KU hit a pair of treys. State was getting shots and missed several opportunities in close, but still hitting a good percentage. It was the Hal show with little help elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, getting Hal going early is huge.

A nice back door cut with a pass from Seanna to Nikki would tie it at 11 but KU got a gift from the officials to get a traditional trey using an NBA style continuation play. Back and forth it went. Both teams scoring and missing, always staying close. It was all from three for KU as they were hot hitting four of them early. 17-13 KU with 12 to go.

The sisters would put some heat on inside and between Nikki and Hal the ladies would take the lead 20-17 with ten to go. KU would tie it at 22 after yet another trey. On the other end the sisters were putting up bricks from deep.

And KU would hit yet another trey to retake the lead 27-26 and would score again after a steal to go up 29-26 with 5:30 to go. Note...the sisters have yet to go to the line this half. Back and forth they would go and Seanna would make another great drive to knot it up at 30. My big concern was fouls. We were putting KU on the line a lot. The JayHawks were shooting over 60% for the half. They were doing it inside and out. On the other end the sisters were shooting around 55% and dominating inside. If the D would step up a bit things would shift in our favor. Turnovers were helping us as KU was getting happy feet.

At the 1:37 mark Brynn would hit our first two free throws to tie the game at 34. Hal would pick up her 2nd foul right after and our interior defense would suffer for it. Gardner would hit two straight and it was 38-34 with a minute to play. KU was hitting 68 freaking percent. At the half Fallon would hit one of two to make it 38-37 at the half. Something needed to change in round two.

The second half started with a banked KU three but they went cold from deep after that. Three minutes in it was tied at 41. Seanna would nail a trey with a dish out from Hal and we had the lead 44-33 four minutes in. Gardner would answer back. She was eating us alive tonight.

The ladies were hanging close, but Gardner was carrying KU and Hal went to the bench with her 3rd foul down by 2 at the 15 minute mark. Gardner was pounding the offensive boards and all we were doing was fouling her in the process. She put KU up by 4 and KU would keep pushing inside. Our defense was breaking down left and right and KU was capitalizing. Our offense was missing and only getting one shot per possession.

To make matters worse, Nikki would go to the bench with three fouls with 14 to play. The question now is who would pick up the slack? Well, Jadda would start by hitting a traditional trey. Kidd would be open twice, wide open and only clank iron from deep. And then...she was open again and drained it. The lead was 52-49 with 12 to go. It was a youth movement.

Buckley would pick up her third with 9 to go and the game continued to go back and forth. Hal would nail a trey and it was 60-58 with 8:30 to go. Nikki followed with another trey on a Jadda assist and the lead was five. KU. Hit two straight treys sandwiched around two back door cut baskets for state and the lead was three. Hal forgot to play D and KU got an easy bucket to cut the lead to one.

Back and forth it went. There didn't appear to be much defense as both teams were very efficient. We had a chance to extend the lead to five and Jadda dribbled the ball off her foot and KU converted. Yet on the other end Jadda dished to Seanna for a lay in. Three minutes left and ISU was holding on to a 4 point lead. Brynn was being a monster on the boards. Jadda made a great drive, scored and was smashed by Asia Boyd who fouled out. The lead was seven with 1:45 to go. After a KU miss, it was foul a Cyclone time. Nikki for a pair. 9 point lead. A defensive breakdown and KU would hit another wide open trey. 83-77 with :45 to go. Brynn for a pair. 8 point lead. KU scores quickly. Brynn for a pair. 8 point lead. Air ball on a three and the ladies win 87-79 and are now at the magic 20 win mark.

Notes
Free throw discrepancy. We seemed to foul on shots and KU didn't. Number of fouls was close most of the game but KU had three times the attempts before the foul-a-thon began. In the end state hits 17-18 free throws.

Offense. The offense is clearly working at a much different level now than during the dark period of the season. A big part is getting contributions from multiple players.

Rebounds. We were absolutely dominated on the boards and I was surprised by how much at the end of the game. It always seemed like it was a red jersey getting a crucial board.

POG - IMO has to be Seanna tonight. She was aggressive. She was solid. But you could easily make a case for several others. You had to like the multi-headed scoring monster that this team has become. Hal 17, Nikki 18, Jadda 16, Brynn 10. Wow.

The game turned when...if you read my notes above there was a point when Hal and Nikki were on the bench with three fouls and lots of time left. Those young women stepped up, led by Jadda and maintained the pace, got the lead and never let it go.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I just flew in from Mexico tonight and caught the end of the game via the ISU blog. Saw the stats and we got beat 37-21 on the boards so your comments on how we crushed them on the boards is a little odd. Byrnn did have a couple big rebounds in crunch time but still had only 4 for the game to lead the team.

Halle, Jadda, Nicky and Seanna did shoot lights out. Wow, combined 27-43. Nice.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
My comment says we were dominated on the boards. I did say that Brynn was getting some big rebounds, but we got killed.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
KU out rebounded ISU by a considerable margin. Some of ISUs RBs were at very crucial moments in the game however. (sometimes thats more important than how many). Jadda and Seanna are both coming on very strong. Very good balanced scoring tonight. Right at first they appeared to be running at about half-throttle, but the intensity kept picking up. Overall it was a good hard fought victory.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Since you didn't mention her play, I thought I would. Hal got in foul trouble and was on the bench twice. Ellis came in and even though she gave away at least 7 inches in size played well against the Kansas post. When both Moody and Hal were on the bench she sprinted down the court to break up a sure lay up for Kansas. I swear that is the fastest I have seen her move since she has been at Iowa State. It was a solid team victory and this team is not the same team that played so badly a month ago. We are changing and peaking just at the right time. Go Sisters.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Women will be the # 5 seed in the conference tourney regardless of what happens Tuesday night. We have a better conference road record than OU, so even if we tie with them, we are the five seed. Even if we would tie with Texas, we cannot pass them based on their win over WVU.

We will play either OSU or Texas. OSU is at Texas on Monday night, if Texas wins, they tie in the standings, and have the tie breaker over OSU earning the # 3 seed, and we get OSU.

Bad thing about being in the 4/5 game is getting the # 1 seed if you win.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
One point behind at half - not too worried. KU shot 65% from the floor and 55% from three for the half - only if the planets were lined up against us could they keep that up. They did drop off to 39% and 37% and we went 60% and 60% in the second half. As noted, we did get crushed on their offensive boards. All those additional possessions could have doomed us. Why are we better now - It seemed to me that we did fine and may have gotten a little separation while Hallie and Nikki were on the bench at about the 10 minute mark in the second. We're not lost without Hallie and we showed toughness when closely guarded. We are a much better scoring team with the mid-range jumper in our tool box. We broke the press and defended better than the final score - 15 of their points were second chance because of their rebounding advantage - we got 9 points from our bench.

BoxsterCy, you should have stayed in Mexico. It's cold here. We're staying in Lawrence tonight. We're predicted to get 6-8 inches tonight. I hope the bus riders travel safely - let us know when you get home.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
BoxsterCy, you should have stayed in Mexico. It's cold here. We're staying in Lawrence tonight. We're predicted to get 6-8 inches tonight.

I was there for two weeks and requested weather asylum but the Mexican government turned me down.
:smile:

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Women will be the # 5 seed in the conference tourney regardless of what happens Tuesday night. We have a better conference road record than OU, so even if we tie with them, we are the five seed. Even if we would tie with Texas, we cannot pass them based on their win over WVU.

We will play either OSU or Texas. OSU is at Texas on Monday night, if Texas wins, they tie in the standings, and have the tie breaker over OSU earning the # 3 seed, and we get OSU.

Bad thing about being in the 4/5 game is getting the # 1 seed if you win.

I thought that if we beat Baylor - that gives us a win over the #1 team - So we would hold the tie breaker against Texas. win over Baylor trumps win over WV

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Seriously, how good is Jadda gonna be? She doesn't score 20 a game yet, but has shown she can. But my bigger thing is, as a freshman, she can just shut down a lot of players on defense when allowed to guard them in man to man. And she's really good like Moody to drive the ball to the bucket, but with more control (sorry Moody, but sometimes it seems like you channel your inner Deandre Kane and drive to the lane then throw up a wild shot).

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Here's where I quote crazy G. The game Tuesday is HUGE. A win against Baylor would accomplish numerous things. (A) changes the seeding for the conf and NCAA tournaments dramatically. (B) with a WVU win today we could knock Baylor out of the conf lead. Sweet justice I say. (C) sends the women into the tournament with a big, positive streak going. Confidence baby.

we need to pack the house and be freaking nuts Tuesday night! Let's send Hal, the other seniors, the ENTIRE team to OK City riding high!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I have not watched the game yet, but things in the stats that stuck out to me were 1) balanced scoring. All starters were in double figures yet none scored more than 18; 2) had slightly better shooting percentages from the field, but made 17 of 18 free throws. Shot four more than KU but made 9 more; 3). Got whipped on the boards 21-37 but made up for it with the FTs plus 11-19 edge on turnovers.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I thought that if we beat Baylor - that gives us a win over the #1 team - So we would hold the tie breaker against Texas. win over Baylor trumps win over WV

Yes, if we beat Baylor, and Texas loses to OSU, we would be the # 4 seed, but it doesn't change the fact we still would play in the 4/5 game, and the winner plays the # 1 seed if they win. We are locked into the 4/5 game regardless of what happens over the next three days.

I said we will be the # 5 seed because I don't see OSU winning in Austin on Monday night, and they would drop to the # 4 seed. Both OSU and Texas would then have 11 conference wins, if we beat Baylor, we have 10.

If I were predicting today, I would say:
# 1 - Baylor - don't see them losing at home today to WVU
# 2 - West Virginia - loss today gives them three losses, even if we would beat Baylor on Tuesday, they are still 2nd
# 3 - Texas - will beat OSU on Monday and move into the 3rd seed
# 4 - OSU - struggling at the end of the season
# 5 - ISU - playing our best basketball of the conference season
# 6 - Oklahoma - will tie with us in the standings by beating TTU, but we have a better road record (5-4 vs 3-6)
# 7 - TCU - even if they lose on Monday in Manhattan still have seven wins vs. six for KSU
# 8 - Kansas State (I think they can beat TCU in Manhattan on Monday)
# 9 - Kansas - will lose in Morgantown on Tuesday night
# 10 - TTU - will be the first team in the new 18 game format to go 0-18 in conference play

Oklahoma, TCU, and TTU spots are all locked in, everything else is in play.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Just wanted to second 907Cy's comment on Fallon Ellis. She not only did a good job on D while playing for Hallie, but she also scored a very valuable six points, including a much-needed three. I also noted how well our two frosh play together. More than once Jadda would penetrate and then dish to Seanna for a layup. We are lucky to have these two very fine frosh.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I echo the remarks about Fallon. She stepped in at a time when the team could have collapsed with Hal and Nikki on the bench. Coach obviously had faith and the team delivered.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron