Alleged BIG 12 Network

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
After I could not the the Texas Tech and Texas games I did the standard CF thing and emailed JP. (Before the EICC game I got the 200+ channel package from DISH so I could get that game on EspnU)

He replied quickly (on MLK holiday even) that ESPN subleases some Big 12 games and that is what happens sometimes. He also said that it "appears" that ESPN will not do this subleasing next year. That will be sweet for next year but am still ****** that I also could not get the KSU game today for the same reason apparently.
My question is Are there other parts of the country in the same boat - can't get the games that are listed as being on the "Big 12 Network". it especially grinds my gears that these games aren't available on Cyclones.TV either. How about Direct TV customers in this (Phoenix) area - are you blacked out too? It would cost me a small fortune to switch now just two months into my Dish deal but I would think about it.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Wouldn't get it in northwest Iowa without the sports pack either. In fact, northwest Iowa is for the most part predominately Iowa fans (though the numbers are evening out), and many of them will tell you that they became Iowa fans because they can watch them on tv much easier.

Basically I just hope the Big 12 can get a real network someday.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
After I could not the the Texas Tech and Texas games I did the standard CF thing and emailed JP. (Before the EICC game I got the 200+ channel package from DISH so I could get that game on EspnU)

He replied quickly (on MLK holiday even) that ESPN subleases some Big 12 games and that is what happens sometimes. He also said that it "appears" that ESPN will not do this subleasing next year. That will be sweet for next year but am still ****** that I also could not get the KSU game today for the same reason apparently.
My question is Are there other parts of the country in the same boat - can't get the games that are listed as being on the "Big 12 Network". it especially grinds my gears that these games aren't available on Cyclones.TV either. How about Direct TV customers in this (Phoenix) area - are you blacked out too? It would cost me a small fortune to switch now just two months into my Dish deal but I would think about it.

Cyclones.tv cannot legally televise these games as they do not have the rights. No reason to get mad at them for something they can't control. I'm sure if they could they would, because it'd mean a ton more money.

That ESPN comment intrigues me though - I wonder if it means every single game will be on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNEWS or if it means more games will drop to simply third tier, which would kind of suck. Or maybe I'm interpreting that wrong.

The Big 12 Network is kind of a misnomer anyways.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Do you not get Altitude on ch 410? Your other option would be if you have ESPN3, that's how I've been watching the games.

In MN, I am able to see all of the so-called Big 12 Network games on ESPN3, which is one of the few perks for having base cable. A good tip is you can check upcoming games at the following link:

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

When you find the game you are looking for, see if it has the blue link (SUBJECT TO BLACKOUT). If that is there, click it and you can see if it is shown in your area. Today's K-State game was blacked out only in some scattered locations, but nowhere in Big12 country. Not sure why they bother with that sometimes. Sometimes they do black out the entire conference region, so maybe that is what they do when ESPN does the sublease, or whatever. Anyway, if you do get blacked out, you can still watch the replay posted later the same day. For example, here is a link to see what has been posted over the past week:

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
In MN, I am able to see all of the so-called Big 12 Network games on ESPN3, which is one of the few perks for having base cable. A good tip is you can check upcoming games at the following link:

When you find the game you are looking for, see if it has the blue link (SUBJECT TO BLACKOUT). If that is there, click it and you can see if it is shown in your area. Today's K-State game was blacked out only in some scattered locations, but nowhere in Big12 country. Not sure why they bother with that sometimes. Sometimes they do black out the entire conference region, so maybe that is what they do when ESPN does the sublease, or whatever. Anyway, if you do get blacked out, you can still watch the replay posted later the same day. For example, here is a link to see what has been posted over the past week:

I'm guessing it was probably blacked out where a regional sports network like Altitude was carrying it.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Can't get it "on TV" in the Seattle area, either. I haven't tried ESPN3 (though I do think my cable provider has it). I ended up doing the live blog thing again.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
The only problem with espn3 is you have to have a subscription to only limited cable networks. Mediacom and dish or direct tv are not included.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Can't get it "on TV" in the Seattle area, either. I haven't tried ESPN3 (though I do think my cable provider has it). I ended up doing the live blog thing again.

ESPN3 is going to be the only way for you to legally get it in Seattle unless you have a dish and subscribe to a package that would provide you a channel like Altitude or MSG that picks up Big 12 games.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX

Wasn't on in Dallas, and this is the first game I remember that hasn't been. Luckily, I have the watchESPN access

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Wasn't on in Dallas, and this is the first game I remember that hasn't been. Luckily, I have the watchESPN access

There's a couple of times during the year when there are two Big 12 games on the Big 12 Network at 12:45. Next week is another. Those affiliates in Texas were obviously going to choose to televise Texas-Baylor over Kansas State-Iowa State, though it would be nice if it were possible for a channel to put the other game on a sub channel.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
The nice thing is we don't run into that situation again this year. I think we're only on the Big 12 Network like four more times this year anyways, with the rest on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
My local Big 12 network affiliate has aired paid programming and an hour of fox sports national crap (actual fox station) vs. the ISU game the past 3 weeks, and then carries the other time-frame game. Next week is the first one that should be on the channel for me.

I wish if these guys weren't going to carry all the games that they weren't allowed to be a network affiliate and let another channel carry it that would show them all.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Cyclones.tv cannot legally televise these games as they do not have the rights. No reason to get mad at them for something they can't control. I'm sure if they could they would, because it'd mean a ton more money.

That ESPN comment intrigues me though - I wonder if it means every single game will be on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNEWS or if it means more games will drop to simply third tier, which would kind of suck. Or maybe I'm interpreting that wrong.

The Big 12 Network is kind of a misnomer anyways.

Jamie said that every game would be on an ESPN platform which I take to mean the 4 that you listed - we are slowly
"moving on up"

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
410 for me is Fox Sports AZ which did not have any of the ISU games. I get ESPN, ESPNU,ESPN News and ESPN2 but not 3.

ESPN3 simply means it's available at ESPN3.com. It's not a TV channel.

Jamie said that every game would be on an ESPN platform which I take to mean the 4 that you listed - we are slowly
"moving on up"

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the SEC will have its own network, which will remove some of their inventory from ESPN. I think I heard that the Big Ten Network wants more games as well, and with the Pac-12 Network, and Fox Sports One taking Big East games, ESPN's gotta televise something I guess.

Help Support Us

Become a patron